Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it possible to upgrade the in-car charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an 80 AMP charger on my older p85. Its awesome but now that I have a Supercharger in my hometown the need is almost nill. Driving all day and then wanting to get out of town and go up to the mountains we would have to wait at home until we had enough to get up the hill. Charging at 60mph (80amp) was pretty darn nice compared to 30mph (at 40amps). But now, if we are getting out of town I just stop for 10 minutes at the Supercharger to get me up to the mountains.

I use 80A charging to schedule a heated up battery before driving. It helps reduce the warm up and decreases battery cycles. It's also great at destination chargers, I can get out of the way quickly and be fully charged at a restaurant.

While I appreciate your response, I do have to throw some reality at it.

The "warm up" would only be if you manually initiated the charging in the morning. If scheduled, I suspect that 40/32A would be quite sufficient. Not really sure why you think that it decreases battery cycles.

Destination Chargers? Not sure how many 80A chargers you have around you, I'm not sure if I've ever seen any.

I always get a kick out of people telling random strangers on line what they do or don't need... :rolleyes:

Faster charging is also useful for people with short discount time of use periods and/or multiple EV's.

Destination Chargers? Not sure how many 80A chargers you have around you, I'm not sure if I've ever seen any.
I use one at least once a month.

While I appreciate your response, I do have to throw some reality at it.

The "warm up" would only be if you manually initiated the charging in the morning. If scheduled, I suspect that 40/32A would be quite sufficient. Not really sure why you think that it decreases battery cycles.

You wouldn't see any 80A destination chargers unless your car supports them. It won't let you use what you can't support so the amps don't show up and 40A will be the maximum you can see.

I schedule 20kW charging every morning before I leave the house, and have it timed so I unplug a few % before it's done so it's always nice and warm. It's very easy to schedule charge a warm battery when you can charge 25% per hour.