Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replace Gen3 onboard 48A charger with 72A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My existing 48A onboard charger has a bad board and is only charging at 24A. My original plan was to replace it with another 48A charger from ebay following instructions posted on the forums. I did successfully this, but the charger I bought had the same issue. Got that worked out with the seller and am about to purchase another.

This got me wondering - can I upgrade to a 72A in the process? Does this require some sort of configuration change, or will the redeploy of the software automatically recognize the upgraded charger?

2017 MS 75D for reference.

If the replacement board had "the same problem" as the original board, are you sure the problem is with the board? Unlikely that both boards would have "the same problem", but it is possible. I do not believe your original issue is a common failure.

If the replacement board had "the same problem" as the original board, are you sure the problem is with the board? Unlikely that both boards would have "the same problem", but it is possible. I do not believe your original issue is a common failure.
I already determined that one of the 2 boards inside my existing charger is bad (fuses blown on that board only). Once I knew what to check, it was easy to verify on the ebay replacement charger that it had the same issue before I even tried to install it.

My existing 48A onboard charger has a bad board and is only charging at 24A. My original plan was to replace it with another 48A charger from ebay following instructions posted on the forums. I did successfully this, but the charger I bought had the same issue. Got that worked out with the seller and am about to purchase another.

This got me wondering - can I upgrade to a 72A in the process? Does this require some sort of configuration change, or will the redeploy of the software automatically recognize the upgraded charger?

2017 MS 75D for reference.
Anyone know if this is possible to do without a configuration change?

Are the boards the same? I have a 72 amp charger that is giving me fits - it complains that it is "unable to charge" yet charges just fine, BUT also complains that my 40 amp charger (first gen UMC) has voltage issues and it de-rates to 30 amp. On a HPWC that it detects is capable of 72 amp, it charged at exactly 48 amp... While again complaining that it was "unable to charge" as it was actively charging.

So I suspect that one of the three boards is not working. Another 2016 MX with the same 40 amp UMC was running just fine at 40 amps.

Are the boards the same? I have a 72 amp charger that is giving me fits - it complains that it is "unable to charge" yet charges just fine, BUT also complains that my 40 amp charger (first gen UMC) has voltage issues and it de-rates to 30 amp. On a HPWC that it detects is capable of 72 amp, it charged at exactly 48 amp... While again complaining that it was "unable to charge" as it was actively charging.

So I suspect that one of the three boards is not working. Another 2016 MX with the same 40 amp UMC was running just fine at 40 amps.
It would appear the boards are the same. 72A has 3. Sure sounds like yours may have a bad one. Swapping boards between chargers looks to be very difficult to do.

Changing it out also may be something of a pain in the arse, but I also just bought a 72 amp unit from Ebay. Hopefully it matches up and works b/c the tamper stickers are removed and they weren't showing the full part number. I'm not unplugging mine until I confirm the numbers are the same.

I don't really feel like trying to frankenstein one together by swapping boards, unless there's some OBVIOUS indication which one is bad.

I installed the 72A charger this weekend, but it appears to be maxing out at 48A. So I either have a 2/3 functioning charger (I did check and all fuses were good before installing), or it is being software limited. But, despite being a 72A, it's not throwing any errors so I'm not really out anything. Cost was about the same. So if anyone knows how to update the vehicle configuration to unleash the full potential, I'd be interested in that process :)