Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it worth to buy a CSS adapter now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

rlsd

Feb 12, 2023
San Diego
I am planning for a trip to Grand Canyon in Arizona. Should I buy a CSS adapter that costs $250 from Tesla for the trip? Amazon has some that cost $90 or $145 but reviews say that are not reliable. In one year this adapter is useless because most EV chargers have NACS connectors.

I would get a genuine Tesla adapter if your car is already setup for CCS charging. It's a bit more expensive if you have an older car and have to install the ECU upgrade ($350). I doubt that NACS adoption will go that fast and there can always be some older, out-of-the-way equipment that will not get updated.

I did my upgrade a few months ago and it was worth it to me. I charge at a local ChargePoint 50kW DCFC. I've been using a CHAdeMO adapter for the last 4+ years and the CCS adapter is much easier to deal with and has the same power transfer. I had already gathered all of the parts for the "bundle of wires" DIY upgrade but never got around to putting it in.

Reactions: Seattle and rlsd
Upvote 0
I would get a genuine Tesla adapter if your car is already setup for CCS charging. It's a bit more expensive if you have an older car and have to install the ECU upgrade ($350). I doubt that NACS adoption will go that fast and there can always be some older, out-of-the-way equipment that will not get updated.

I did my upgrade a few months ago and it was worth it to me. I charge at a local ChargePoint 50kW DCFC. I've been using a CHAdeMO adapter for the last 4+ years and the CCS adapter is much easier to deal with and has the same power transfer. I had already gathered all of the parts for the "bundle of wires" DIY upgrade but never got around to putting it in.
Yes, my car is CSS enabled.

Upvote 0
Yes, my car is CSS enabled.
Then I would look at it as insurance that enables you to charge at almost any EVSE around the country. I've got accounts at various charging companies that make it easier to charge via an app, as opposed to calling customer service to initiate a session.

It's the same reason why I carry a mobile connector, 6 or 7 NEMA adapters, cord converters and 14-50 extension cord in my car. Even though I've never used them in the 6 years I've owned my car.

Upvote 0
It certainly won't hurt.

If you use A Better Route Planner, when you select a Tesla it will ask you whether you have a CCS adapter and incorporate CCS chargers in the charging planning.

For example I selected a Tesla Model Y Long Range, indicated a CCS adapter, with a round trip from San Diego to Grand Canyon National Park South Entrance, leaving other settings default.

It included 2 EA in the routing:
Waypoint Arrival SoC Depart SoC Cost Charge Card Charge duration Distance Drive duration Arrival Departure Notes
San Diego, CA, United States 90% 177 mi 2 h 40 min 6:07 PM
301 Montara Road, Barstow [Electrify America] 15% 62% $23 20 min 141 mi 2 h 1 min 8:48 PM 9:12 PM
Needles, CA [Tesla] 10% 43% $6 Owner price 9 min 63 mi 53 min 11:14 PM 11:28 PM
Kingman, AZ - West Andy Devine Supercharger [Tesla] 10% 85% $24 Owner price 35 min 167 mi 2 h 25 min 12:21 AM 1:01 AM
Grand Canyon Visitor Center (Grand Canyon, AZ) [Electrify America] 10% 73% $27 29 min 6.8 mi 13 min 3:26 AM 4:01 AM
Grand Canyon National Park, S Entrance Rd, Grand Canyon, AZ 86023, United States 69% 69% 173 mi 2 h 34 min 4:14 AM 4:14 AM
Kingman, AZ Supercharger [Tesla] 9% 47% $12 Owner price 12 min 97 mi 1 h 22 min 6:49 AM 7:06 AM
Najah Hi Sahara Oasis (Essex Fenner, CA) [Electrify America] 10% 68% $25 26 min 141 mi 2 h 3 min 8:28 AM 8:59 AM
Victorville, CA [Tesla] 10% 60% $14 Owner price 16 min 144 mi 2 h 12 min 11:02 AM 11:23 AM
San Diego, CA, United States 10% 0 m 1:36 PM
18 h 53 min $131 2 h 27 min 1111 mi 16 h 25 min

Re-plan excluding EA:
Waypoint Arrival SoC Depart SoC Cost Charge Card Charge duration Distance Drive duration Arrival Departure Notes
San Diego, CA, United States 90% 183 mi 2 h 42 min 6:16 PM
Yuma, AZ [Tesla] 16% 74% $17 Owner price 24 min 156 mi 2 h 19 min 8:59 PM 9:28 PM
Goodyear, AZ [Tesla] 10% 90% $25 Owner price 41 min 159 mi 2 h 18 min 11:47 PM 12:32 AM (+1)
Flagstaff, AZ [Tesla] 10% 80% $22 Owner price 30 min 94 mi 1 h 32 min 2:50 AM 3:25 AM
Grand Canyon National Park, S Entrance Rd, Grand Canyon, AZ 86023, United States 45% 45% 88 mi 1 h 29 min 4:58 AM 4:58 AM
Flagstaff, AZ Supercharger [Tesla] 12% 35% $7 Owner price 7 min 78 mi 1 h 5 min 6:27 AM 6:39 AM
Cordes Lakes, AZ Supercharger [Tesla] 10% 78% $22 Owner price 30 min 184 mi 2 h 35 min 7:45 AM 8:20 AM
Quartzsite, AZ Supercharger [Tesla] 10% 55% $14 Owner price 14 min 125 mi 2 h 1 min 10:55 AM 11:15 AM
El Centro, CA - Wake Avenue Supercharger [Tesla] 10% 56% $12 Owner price 15 min 113 mi 1 h 43 min 1:16 PM 1:35 PM
San Diego, CA, United States 10% 0 m 3:19 PM
20 h 28 min $119 2 h 41 min 1179 mi 17 h 47 min

ABRP says $12 cheaper, but 1 hour 22 minutes slower.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: rlsd
Upvote 0
Volta has free DC Fast Chargers (50 kW) but requires using a CCS adapter. Very useful and four to five time faster than typical L2 public chargers.
Indeed. A couple of years ago, on several trips up to Oregon's southern coast (Brookings) and inland to Ashland, I've found free DC chargers where I used my CHAdeMO adapter. Those stations also had a CCS handle but this was before the CCS upgrade was offered by Tesla. In the past, EA has offered free charging at their stations during major holidays but I haven't been aware of any recently (last two years or so).

The only time that you can find free public Supercharging, that I know of, is when an area is under emergency evacuation decrees and Tesla opens up charging to allow people to fill up and leave the area. There have been a couple of times that I've not been charged for a Supercharging session locally here in San Jose and on a trip to L.A. but it seems to be a totally random thing.

• Informative
Reactions: rlsd
Upvote 0
I am planning for a trip to Grand Canyon in Arizona. Should I buy a CSS adapter that costs $250 from Tesla for the trip?
Without knowing your specific Tesla model and exactly where you are planning to go at the Grand Canyon for this trip or what you are going to do driving wise when you get there.... You probably don't need to buy the CCS adapter for this trip.
In one year this adapter is useless because most EV chargers have NACS connectors.
Eh, like other posters in this thread have commented I think you're probably overly optimistic on that, but it is basically an aside to whether or not you should buy the adapter for this particular instance.
It certainly won't hurt.

If you use A Better Route Planner, when you select a Tesla it will ask you whether you have a CCS adapter and incorporate CCS chargers in the charging planning.

For example I selected a Tesla Model Y Long Range, indicated a CCS adapter, with a round trip from San Diego to Grand Canyon National Park South Entrance, leaving other settings default.

It included 2 EA in the routing:

18 h 53 min $131 2 h 27 min 1111 mi 16 h 25 min

Re-plan excluding EA:

20 h 28 min $119 2 h 41 min 1179 mi 17 h 47 min

ABRP says $12 cheaper, but 1 hour 22 minutes slower.
The big problem in this analysis is that the CCS version included 3 EA sites and the one you didn't bold is the one that matters big time here: "Grand Canyon Visitor Center (Grand Canyon, AZ) [Electrify America]." That site is effectively the site that makes the difference in travel times between your two scenarios. The issue here is ABRP is erroneously missing the below supercharger for whatever reason. It isn't exactly new either as it has been there for 5 years.

Knowing that said supercharger is there and working The Grand Hotel at the Grand Canyon (1) | Grand Canyon Village, AZ | EV Station is going to change your math quite a bit, because the majority (basically the entirety) of the time advantage that ABRP was giving the CCS adapter was solely based on the EA charger there versus ABRP not thinking Tesla had DC fast charging across the street. This is manually verifiable by creating a waypoint at the Tesla supercharger in ABRP and telling it you can charge up to 150 kW there.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My advice is buy a ccs adapter because it's low cost insurance (be sure your Tesla supports it, pretty old ones need a board upgrade), sell it after if you decide not to keep it.

And my peanut gallery answer is there's no way in the world that NACS will be the only thing you need in a year. Tesla's ridiculous slow rollout of official nacs adapters with seemingly only a few 100 a month across ford and Rivian means hardly any of those company's EV drivers have them. It will take years before EV companies change the plugs on their existing dcfc chargers. Maybe in 5 years it will be true that more than half of ccs adapters switched to NACS.

Upvote 0