Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is my X drivable to the service center?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla forum brain trust-

I received a AIR SUSPENSION COMPRESSOR DISABLED message, and then Tesla remotely analyzed our car. Apparently the right front air suspension system is broken, and the car is noticeably down on the two front wheels. I assume the front wheels suspension system is resting on the lower suspension mechanical stops. The rear wheels appear to have a normal ride height. I turned the front wheels fully in both directions and they appear to clear the wheel wells.

I assume the car is drivable in this condition to the service center, but with no front air suspension it would just be a rough ride?

Tesla forum brain trust-

I received a AIR SUSPENSION COMPRESSOR DISABLED message, and then Tesla remotely analyzed our car. Apparently the right front air suspension system is broken, and the car is noticeably down on the two front wheels. I assume the front wheels suspension system is resting on the lower suspension mechanical stops. The rear wheels appear to have a normal ride height. I turned the front wheels fully in both directions and they appear to clear the wheel wells.
I assume the car is drivable in this condition to the service center, but with no front air suspension it would just be a rough ride?
Maybe. How far away is your SC?

That's not bad. You can get there, rough or not. Some folks are hundreds of miles from their closest SC, which could be quite unpleasant.

I just want to make sure driving the car is not going to cause further damage with the air suspension on the front wheels INOP and the body in what appears to be in the full down position. It would make logical sense that an engineer wouldn't design an air suspension system such that if it fails while the car is in motion, it would damage the car- that even in the full down position the car would still be drivable, just not "comfortable" as the ride would be quite stiff.

I just want to make sure driving the car is not going to cause further damage with the air suspension on the front wheels INOP and the body in what appears to be in the full down position. It would make logical sense that an engineer wouldn't design an air suspension system such that if it fails while the car is in motion, it would damage the car- that even in the full down position the car would still be drivable, just not "comfortable" as the ride would be quite stiff.
Just ask in the app, "Is it okay to drive this vehicle, or do you want to send a tow truck?" I bet they will tell you to just bring it over. That way if anything breaks on the way, you at least asked about it.

Just ask in the app, "Is it okay to drive this vehicle, or do you want to send a tow truck?" I bet they will tell you to just bring it over. That way if anything breaks on the way, you at least asked about it.

I'm out of warranty so I'd have to pay for the tow- and of course only 2 months out of warranty : ( Regardless, yeah good ideal I'll message them and see what they say.

FYI $1900 bucks to replace this failed air shock absorber and air block with parts and labor if anyone is curious. Painful.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
As long as there's no rubbing or loud noise with each speed bump/pot hole... I think driving to Service Center is acceptable, but I would not drive to work or other normal drives.

It might be a good time to sign up for AAA membership for towing coverage.

Cool thanks. I think I'm going to drive it. I don't expect to get a response to my message on the Tesla App. Our local service centers kind of suck and are extremely unresponsive. I already have Good Sam Towing so if it had to be towed, I'd do it through them.

I'm out of warranty so I'd have to pay for the tow- and of course only 2 months out of warranty : ( Regardless, yeah good ideal I'll message them and see what they say.

FYI $1900 bucks to replace this failed air shock absorber and air block with parts and labor if anyone is curious. Painful.
Oh man. This is exactly why I opted for no air suspension on my S, and why I will likely not keep my new X out of warranty. So sorry to hear that.

Oh man. This is exactly why I opted for no air suspension on my S, and why I will likely not keep my new X out of warranty. So sorry to hear that.

Well I used to own a 2014 Model S with a "mechanical" suspension system and the suspension bits on that car failed too, both failures in the front end, to the tune of a few thousand dollars when it was all said and done, among other problems. They're awesome cars, but definitely not as reliable as other premium (and non premium!) brands I've owned unfortunately.

It might be a good time to sign up for AAA membership for towing coverage.
You'd think this would be good advice, but apparently it depends which state you're in (or on some other locality). I got AAA when I got my 2017 X, and when I needed it a year or two later and called them, they said "sorry, we don't tow EVs." I asked how tha could be when other people have been towed and it was basically "must be a different state" or "not the same club". I don't remember the details, but I also don't have AAA anymore because seriously?!

You'd think this would be good advice, but apparently it depends which state you're in (or on some other locality). I got AAA when I got my 2017 X, and when I needed it a year or two later and called them, they said "sorry, we don't tow EVs." I asked how tha could be when other people have been towed and it was basically "must be a different state" or "not the same club". I don't remember the details, but I also don't have AAA anymore because seriously?!
Very good point!

Some CA DMV would automatically flunk a Tesla driving test too. An article in the news would reverse that decision. so owning an EV can be a challenge.

AAA don't have its own tow trucks but it contracts out with those those companies. When I asked them about towing a Tesla, they said it shouldn't be a problem although there might be a delay if the contractors are not Tesla-certified and they have to look for one available.

In conclusion, you are correct to ask first before paying for a towing subscription.