Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adaptive suspension set to low and comfort - hitting bump stops on speed-bumps and rough roads?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2019 MX Raven with 20" wheels. When I drive over rough roads like railroad crossings, potholes, speedbumps, etc. and the suspension is on low and comfort, it feels like Im hitting the bump stops, or at least the closest thing to it. The vehicle also feels like it rides too soft and is bouncy. In order to mitigate this, if i go to advanced and move both sliders one notch to the right (from soft), it seems to handle bumps better without being bouncy and feel like its bottoming out. The Auto setting is much firmer.

Comfort on Medium height rides like a dream, but i dont want to prematurely wear the front CV and half-shafts.

Anyone else with the adaptive suspension and 20" wheels have the same issue? My warranty is up in a few months and I would like to try and get it repaired, if its actually an issue.. If this is actually common behavior then I don't want to waste my time bringing it up to service

TIA!

2019 MX Raven with 20" wheels. When I drive over rough roads like railroad crossings, potholes, speedbumps, etc. and the suspension is on low and comfort, it feels like Im hitting the bump stops, or at least the closest thing to it. The vehicle also feels like it rides too soft and is bouncy. In order to mitigate this, if i go to advanced and move both sliders one notch to the right (from soft), it seems to handle bumps better without being bouncy and feel like its bottoming out. The Auto setting is much firmer.

Comfort on Medium height rides like a dream, but i dont want to prematurely wear the front CV and half-shafts.

Anyone else with the adaptive suspension and 20" wheels have the same issue? My warranty is up in a few months and I would like to try and get it repaired, if its actually an issue.. If this is actually common behavior then I don't want to waste my time bringing it up to service

TIA!
Shouldn't have the suspension on low for rough roads, etc.
Set it to a higher "default"... don't know about wearing out half-shafts... sounds like some urban rumor.
Service? What would they service? You can set height and ride stiffness to what you like.

When the service center replaced my half shafts and cv last month, they included a service note that said to only drive the car in “low” to prevent damage to the front components.

Even if I set the suspension to medium and to not lower, at highway speeds it always lowers to “low”. And my understanding is that the refresh x is always set to low regardless, and if you want it at medium you have to set it every drive

Comfort doesn’t control body motions very well over bumps, I agree. I just leave it in always low and auto, and i think it’s quite well controlled. I prefer control to ride comfort though
That sounds just like mine too. Just wanted to confirm this was normal. Although i still think auto is a little jarring over bumps than it should be. I do have the Continentals which recommend 45psi cold, but I've been experimenting with lower pressures and it seems to make a noticeable difference

I'm baffled that there are two posters in here that haven't heard of the half shaft issues or the standard service center recommendation (and even Tesla adjusted defaults) to always ride in low. That having been said, I think I would mention it to service if I was there anyway, but expect them to say it is normal, but the limited window to warranty expiration makes this option less appealing. I always imagine having a laundry list of items that I have the service center check just before warranty expiration, but I'm to the point where I'm no longer convinced that's going to happen for me. As such, some points to consider in making a decision on such a visit: How long have you been using low and comfort? Is this a change in behavior at these settings? Do you believe that having the potential issue documented while in warranty would be of any benefit outside of warranty if a failure subsequently occurred? Definitely nothing wrong with using the settings you like better than auto in the meantime regardless, I know I would.

Interesting side note, when I talked to a customer facing service person about lowering my pre-raven X (using aftermarket lowering links) so that I wouldn't need a third premature half shaft pair replacement, they indicated that their biggest concern with that idea was ride comfort. I went ahead anyway, and my ride might be rougher in low with lowering links than it was on standard height pre lowering links, but I don't think it has ever felt like it bottomed out. Note that "low with lowering links" in this case would be slightly lower than "very low pre lowering links," but it occurs to me that I have no clue if raven models even have very low settings and/or if their law settings are already nearly that low, so between the added softness and unknown height difference, I'm not sure how much value this second paragraph can add.

Last edited:
Reactions: Richbot
That sounds just like mine too. Just wanted to confirm this was normal. Although i still think auto is a little jarring over bumps than it should be. I do have the Continentals which recommend 45psi cold, but I've been experimenting with lower pressures and it seems to make a noticeable difference
Yeah it does help. I’m rolling around at 48 cold because it helps a bit with inner edge wear and consumption plus I am a firm suspension enjoyer but it clearly doesn’t have enough travel on rough surfaces in very low, and lack of travel is something I do not enjoy. I’m just glad the suspension actually seems to work pretty well in one of the settings - I’ve been in plenty of cars where there is no ideal mode and you’re left wondering why the hell the button is there if it just makes the car worse

The insides of the rear tires get ruined in standard height too - it’s just slightly slower. Still has almost 2 degrees of negative camber in Standard on my car. I tried it for about 10,000 miles after my last set and still got camber wear. Fronts are wearing fine now nice and even across , but the rears are hopeless without aftermarket alignment links

I'm baffled that there are two posters in here that haven't heard of the half shaft issues or the standard service center recommendation (and even Tesla adjusted defaults) to always ride in low. That having been said, I think I would mention it to service if I was there anyway, but expect them to say it is normal, but the limited window to warranty expiration makes this option less appealing. I always imagine having a laundry list of items that I have the service center check just before warranty expiration, but I'm to the point where I'm no longer convinced that's going to happen for me. As such, some points to consider in making a decision on such a visit: How long have you been using low and comfort? Is this a change in behavior at these settings? Do you believe that having the potential issue documented while in warranty would be of any benefit outside of warranty if a failure subsequently occurred? Definitely nothing wrong with using the settings you like better than auto in the meantime regardless, I know I would.

Interesting side note, when I talked to a customer facing service person about lowering my pre-raven X (using aftermarket lowering links) so that I wouldn't need a third premature half shaft pair replacement, they indicated that their biggest concern with that idea was ride comfort. I went ahead anyway, and my ride might be rougher in low with lowering links than it was on standard height pre lowering links, but I don't think it has ever felt like it bottomed out. Note that "low with lowering links" in this case would be slightly lower than "very low pre lowering links," but it occurs to me that I have no clue if raven models even have very low settings and/or if their law settings are already nearly that low, so between the added softness and unknown height difference, I'm not sure how much value this second paragraph can add.
Agreed! Thanks for chiming in. I've only owned the MX since Feb., and mostly drive in low so as not to damage the shafts since I like to punch it occasionally. But when I have passengers I usually switch back to medium height and the comfort setting for the best ride comfort for everyone (unless I'm showing off launch mode 😜). I previously owned a 2015 MS with the air suspension.

I dont want to mess with lowering links or rear camber adjustments until my warranty is up in August, so that I can get them to fix any issues without them blaming an aftermarket part. I do have an Xcare extended warranty though, but I have no experience using an extended third party warranty with Tesla (although Ive heard good things about Xcare). My 2015 MS was purchased through Tesla with a 4yr "New car" warranty for a total of 8yrs. I sold it 2 months before the warranty expired (and battery/DU warranty)