Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Phone Key working the same as for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Model Y owners,

I own a Model 3 and do like the phone key feature quite a lot. Sometimes, it's not reliable, though. When I approach the car, the doors are not unlocked until I open the app on my Android 10 handset.

When I got my model 3 about one year ago, there were 4 different iBacons visible. All iBeacon names started with the character 'S' and ended either with 'C', 'D', 'P' or 'R'. Now, only one beacon (the one with the last character 'C') shows up.

I am curious, of the reduction of visible iBeacons changed the reliability of the unlock process. Also, I would like to know if the Model Y maybe has an improved phone key functionality, that is more reliable.

The tool I used to find out about the iBeacons is called 'BLE Scanner' and is freely available for Android and iOS.

It would be cool, of you could share your observations with the model Y.

Cheers,
Martin

I found the Model 3 phone/key to be nearly flawless. Once in a while, if my body was turned the wrong way (phone in pants pocket), it wouldn't recognize it. Turning my body so the phone was closer allowed the key to work. Or if I had rebooted my phone and not restarted the Tesla app.

Maybe five times in two years did I have to turn off/on BT to get the car to see the phone. That solved it every time. I never had to kill the app or reboot. This is with iPhone X or 11 Pro.

The Y is just as good. Haven't had a single issue with it not seeing the "key", but I've only had it 10 days so far.