Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time to disable bluetooth as a key?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pro tip. If the other guy is at fault don't even get your insurance involved. Make a claim with the other guys insurance. It's what I did.
Actually, in most civilised places your insurance co pays for your damage. They know full well you got in a smash.

Maybe they hold it against you in the secret file, maybe not.

I don't think a keycard is vulnerable unless they are right next to you to snatch it and beat you to a pulp or shoot you the old fashioned carjacking way. If there is no phone linked they need to key card to get it in gear.

In the greater Montreal area and east Ontario, there are a lot of car stolen using the relay technique, it makes the news a least once a week for a long while. Tesla are "protected" from that in the sense that those stolen cars are exported to places in the world where there is no electrical infrastructure required for EVs to be used. It is mainly expensive pickup trucks and SUVs that suffers from that. Also, It happens during the night and the keys must be not that far away from the front door, which is sadly very common... In the case of Tesla, the key is the phone, so it is normally charging at night and probably not that close to the front door. I don't know how far it needs to be...

• Informative
Reactions: father_of_6
Also, since it happens during the night, the location of the car is of little use. It is already in a container before you realized it's been stolen. There was a story about someone that had a tag and knew exactly where it was in the port and the crazy thing, the police could do anything and the container was "correctly" shipped...

I wonder how many Tesla owners put a pin on their car. Can we get a show of hands?
Never remotely worried about my car not being there when I get back, even if I accidentally left a key (phone, key fob, cards) in it.

I guess they could steal my Tesla -> J1772 adapter and maybe a generic Playstation controller. But the car isn't going anywhere under its own power

Reactions: TheLastDon
I’m not concerned. If they really want it they will take it somehow no matter what. They can simply tow the car away even if you disable phone key. I have insurance for a reason. I’m not going to inconvenience myself for the rare chance someone is going to steal my car via relay attack.
I've seen people steal cars by just putting the whole car on a flatbed.

Last edited:
I wonder how many Tesla owners put a pin on their car. Can we get a show of hands?
Sometimes. Or I'll enable it from the app depending on the circumstance(s).

I usually always have Bluetooth Off and just use Android NFC. I don't trust walk-away to lock fast enough, after seeing videos how, right after you exit the car, people will walk by acting innocent and surreptitiously open a door ajar, before the Walk-Away triggers. Then come back and ransack...

Reactions: TheLastDon