Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Premium Connectivity Worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is kind of like asking "Is a prime cut ribeye worth it?". Some people think prime cut meat is worth it, and some cant understand why anyone would not simply buy choice.

EDIT:

To help you make this decision, here is the link to teslas information on what is included:

Perhaps looking through the information there will help you make a decision. You will get a 30 day trial with your car so you will have a month to decide, after taking delivery.

One more edit.... I never answered the question. I unquestionably find it "worth it". They added a yearly subscription for $99 and I couldnt subscribe to that fast enough (for a bit of savings). I dont personally like the idea of things like clip on garage door openers when the car should be able to do it, or using the phone as a hotspot when the car can do it.

I have found the ability to watch netflix, mess around with youtube etc invaluable over the last couple of years, as I shuttled my elderly mom to doctors visits etc and sat in the car since I could not go in. I could have done the same with using my phone data as a hotspot, etc, but the minimal cost of a fast food meal per month is worth it to me not to have to futz around with that.

Others feel differently.

Last edited:
I find it valuable on road trips. Among other things it uses a better cell network than I have on my phones.
Around town you can debate the value. If you like the streaming services etc. you might pay for it.

You can get almost all of premium connectivity by using your phone as a hotspot and letting the Tesla use it under wifi. But that may cost you more than the $10/month fee and it's not as convenient.

One feature you don't get is display of traffic in the map. It still routes based on the traffic, it just doesn't show it. However, if you use Google Maps or Waze or other such tools, you can see the traffic there, with a better UI, but not on your dash.

You can stream all the streaming services on your phone if your data plan is reasonably priced.

But I enable it when I go on a road trip, for more coverage, and the streaming services are nice when I am away from my home radio stations or any other stations. Plus you can play Netflix when supercharging. I don't supercharge at home, that's silly.

Only you can answer that question if it’s worth it or not.

For me, no. Especially because you can tether to wifi hotspot from your phone and gain use of the streaming apps if you want.

You only lose satellite maps (I prefer vector maps anyways) and lose live traffic visualization. The nav will still route you based on traffic, you just won’t see the traffic colors on screen. Not a big deal to me.

I have a M3P on order, so excuse my ignorance. Is the Premium connectivity worth it?

The details are here:

If you have money, yes. If you don't, you might be able to survive without it.

You'll have it free for the first 30 days and it will ask when it's over to see you want to keep it and pay.

Nice map with nice traffic-flow indicator, nice streaming but if you can't afford that you'll have a plain map, no streaming so you would listen to the radio or bring your own music in a flash drive or your phone's Bluetooth.

If you have money, yes. If you don't, you might be able to survive without it.

Thats the thing, though. For anyone who is buying a brand new tesla, this is a decision of "do I WANT to spend?" not "can I afford to spend"? Different questions, at least to me they are. Same outcome though, for some its worth it, for some its not, just like I am a person who buys prime meats either at costco or a butcher (my example above), where some of my co workers cant understand why I would spend extra for that.

Everyone has something they are willing to spend a bit extra for, its just "what that is" is different for different people.

Reactions: GSP and JetDriver05
I have a M3P on order, so excuse my ignorance. Is the Premium connectivity worth it
I notice the link description (not the actual web page text itself) has obsolete info:

Bct8S7P.jpg

Over-the-air updates are no longer with Premium Connectivity unless it's required by law like during a "recall". Normal updates are by wifi only.

Some people don't have Premium Connectivity and they don't have wifi either so they have very old firmware.....Until one day, Tesla had a "recall" that does not need to bring the car in because it's over-the-air, and suddenly, those people also got a brand new firmware over the air!!!!

Thus, some media people may ridicule the terminology of "recall" in Tesla over-the-air but actually, the "recall" law covers those who may not have everything too.

Reactions: Lindenwood
Just found out from this thread that it's available for $99/year so I changed from monthly to annual subscription, a savings of $22.14 per year including PA tax (or approximately three Starbucks coffee orders.)

Took about 30 seconds through the Tesla app. I'm only about two months late for the switch. :)

For me, Premium Connectivity became worth the cost when they implemented the remote Sentry mode camera capability. Otherwise, there was nothing Premium Connectivity provided that is not done better by your run-of-the-mill iPhone.
I think there's a limitation on how much time you can view premium connectivity Live Sentry. I think there's no limit if you use your own connection like wifi.

Can anyone verify if the navigation still uses traffic data when routing even if you don’t have premium connectivity. I’ve noticed on my commute that the time estimate does change depending on traffic is even though you can’t see it on the map, it does use traffic data without premium connectivity.

Can anyone verify if the navigation still uses traffic data when routing even if you don’t have premium connectivity. I’ve noticed on my commute that the time estimate does change depending on traffic is even though you can’t see it on the map, it does use traffic data without premium connectivity.

I cant "verify" it, but my understanding is that the car will use traffic data for routing whether or not you have premium connectivity. The difference is being able to see it or not on the map. I have never had my car without premium connectivity so dont know for sure, but thats my understanding.

What counts is the official rules. It says:

"Will Standard Connectivity affect in-car maps and routing?
No. All cars with Standard Connectivity will continue to receive the same core maps & navigation functionality as cars with Premium Connectivity, including traffic-based routing, Trip Planner and Supercharger stall availability. Premium Connectivity will add satellite-view maps and live traffic visualization."

If your standard connectivity maps and routing are not doing what it says above, then it's time for Service Center.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
Will premium connectivity provide all the firmware updates and over the air updates? I dont have wifi where the car will be parked, hence asking. That is the major reason I will be purchasing the premium connectivity (if it allows) i.e to keep the car up to date.

Will premium connectivity provide all the firmware updates and over the air updates? I dont have wifi where the car will be parked, hence asking. That is the major reason I will be purchasing the premium connectivity (if it allows) i.e to keep the car up to date.
Someone else addressed this already if you scroll up. But the answer is no, unless it’s a “recall” related update in which case it would get pushed to the car even without Premium Connectivity.

For me, Premium Connectivity became worth the cost when they implemented the remote Sentry mode camera capability. Otherwise, there was nothing Premium Connectivity provided that is not done better by your run-of-the-mill iPhone.
I was thinking about just using my cell phone's hot spot when I get my new MY, but I forgot about the Sentry mode camera. I do use this function whenever I want to monitor the car, especially when I park the car in a questionable area. Yes, $10 is worth it, just for this.

How do people keep their Teslas up to date if they live in apartment buildings and don't have access to wifi in garage.
From what I understand, you get the notice of new firmware over wireless connection, but must connect to WiFi to download it, so I assume they connect to a phone's WiFi hotspot.

I have received notifications of new firmware while out driving and the download started automatically when I got home to my WiFi connection.

From what I understand, you get the notice of new firmware over wireless connection, but must connect to WiFi to download it, so I assume they connect to a phone's WiFi hotspot.

I have received notifications of new firmware while out driving and the download started automatically when I got home to my WiFi connection.
Thanks. Can you manually start the download after connecting to a public wifi?