Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is sunroof use speed limited?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was driving (rather briskly) the other day and when I went to change the sunroof position a popup came on the drivers console that indicated that the sunroof position was unsafe at that speed.

It happened so quickly that I didn't think to get my wife to snap a picture and I was unable to get the message to pop up again. The sunroof was at about 60% if I remember correctly and I was trying to open it to 100%. I slowed down when I saw the message which cleared it, I think.

Has anyone else seen this? Does anyone know the parameters of this?

Personally, I doubt that it is unsafe. But before they put the limit on it, opening or closing at that speed caused such a shriek right at the open/close point that it was a scary and aurally painful experience. I think it has to do with the fabric wind deflector. There were a fair amount of complaints about it, which I assume is why they added that limitation.

Interesting..I've had it open at 90+...no pop-up.
I don't think it's having it open at high speeds that is the issue. I think it's the fact that closing the sunroof at high speeds may damage the sunroof motor/other mechanisms or would close improperly. Other owners, before it was speed limited, would report that closing the sunroof at high speeds would cause the sunroof to close incorrectly due to the amount of pressure and leak air. And others reported that the air pressure damaged parts of the mechanical components as well.

Tesla's official recommendation is to not close it at speeds over 60 MPH, and the software limits closing the sunroof at speeds over 80 MPH.