Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Suntek PPF just as good as XPel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all, thank you for the kind words.

Another product to consider is our brand new XPEL ULTIMATE PLUS 10 Mil film. This is 2mils thicker than our standard ULTIMATE PLUS (8mil) so it will give you more protection in areas where it matters most.

XPEL was also the very first company to come out with Self-Healing, Non-Yellowing, and a 10 Year Warranty back in April of 2011.

Top all of that off with our industry-leading patterns/templates (how well it's going to fit your Tesla) and you've got a winning combo.

We are here to answer any questions or help in any way possible.

Hello all, thank you for the kind words.

Another product to consider is our brand new XPEL ULTIMATE PLUS 10 Mil film. This is 2mils thicker than our standard ULTIMATE PLUS (8mil) so it will give you more protection in areas where it matters most.

XPEL was also the very first company to come out with Self-Healing, Non-Yellowing, and a 10 Year Warranty back in April of 2011.

Top all of that off with our industry-leading patterns/templates (how well it's going to fit your Tesla) and you've got a winning combo.

We are here to answer any questions or help in any way possible.

Isn't SunTek Ultra Defense still a thicker film? That's what I'm planning to get based on the OP's feedback.

• Disagree
Reactions: cucubits
A couple of pictures of seven year old Suntek, not the self-healing PPF. Not garaged. 130K miles. (Note: I'm still of the opinion that the installer is more important than the film--assumes good quality film).

IMG_1758.jpg IMG_1761.jpg IMG_1727.jpg IMG_1733.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1717.jpg
    IMG_1717.jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:
  • Helpful
  • Disagree
Reactions: cucubits and XPEL
A couple of pictures of seven year old Suntek, not the self-healing PPF. Not garaged. 130K miles. (Note: I'm still of the opinion that the installer is more important than the film--assumes good quality film).

View attachment 521235 View attachment 521236 View attachment 521237 View attachment 521239
Looks good! I also am of the opinion of having a great installer is key. I have used Xpel Ultimate for years but, since moving to Florida years ago, I found a local installer that utilizes STEK and so far so good on both Model 3s. STEK offers: self-healing, hydrophobic quality and a 10 year warranty.

Reactions: voltage and jerry33
Here are my two cents based on real world experience which speaks to overall value s well as the value of partial versus full body PPF. When I ordered my 2013 S 85 Tesla offered paint protection film as a factory option for $900, and I bought it. It covered the bumper, the first 1/3 of the hood, and about the front half of the front fenders. When I sold this car in 2018 with 65,000 miles there were no nicks or anything on the front end of the car. I live in Arizona and we regularly road trip here and on the highway it is rock and pebble city. My wife's Highlander needs a new windshield about every 13 months because of this. [For some reason both my Teslas escaped it.] In 2018 I bought a 10 month old 5000 mile S100 D. It was flawless and unmarked when I bought it and I did not get PPF. 2 1/2 years later the front half of the hood had several chips out of it. When I looked to trade the car, everyone I checked with said this took $1000 off the value. My bottom line is that PPFS is definitely worth the investment, but based on my experience, you don't need a full body; you only need a partial. I will get it amd ceramic pn my ordered 100 LR. On the partial on my 2013, the "line" where are the film ended was invisible from 5 feet away.

Here are my two cents based on real world experience which speaks to overall value s well as the value of partial versus full body PPF. When I ordered my 2013 S 85 Tesla offered paint protection film as a factory option for $900, and I bought it. It covered the bumper, the first 1/3 of the hood, and about the front half of the front fenders. When I sold this car in 2018 with 65,000 miles there were no nicks or anything on the front end of the car. I live in Arizona and we regularly road trip here and on the highway it is rock and pebble city. My wife's Highlander needs a new windshield about every 13 months because of this. [For some reason both my Teslas escaped it.] In 2018 I bought a 10 month old 5000 mile S100 D. It was flawless and unmarked when I bought it and I did not get PPF. 2 1/2 years later the front half of the hood had several chips out of it. When I looked to trade the car, everyone I checked with said this took $1000 off the value. My bottom line is that PPFS is definitely worth the investment, but based on my experience, you don't need a full body; you only need a partial. I will get it amd ceramic pn my ordered 100 LR. On the partial on my 2013, the "line" where are the film ended was invisible from 5 feet away.
I have a 2020 model s.....I used xpel for the front hood, quarters, mirrors and front bumper...it has performed very well and I would highly recommend it.....I also did the back bumper all the way down including the part that always show road grime....really bad n white car....I did not think the doors and window sill needed it....I did have car ceramic coated....18 months later, still looks new

Reactions: XLR82XS
UPDATE: my experience with STEK after almost 30K miles of driving. It did not do well in that the film did not self heal like Xpel had done for me in the past on a 911. Little divots everywhere on front bumper and a chunk in the right headlight. Larger gouge in the center of hood that was noticeable even in low light. The fender sections near the headlight were starting to get small pits as well.

Fast-forward. Model 3 gone and enter Taycan. Did Xpel Ultimate COMPLETE bulk body coverage (no seams) with Gtechniq HALO ceramic coating. So far so good even with extreme highway speeds. The 911 with Xpel held up way better than STEK over the course of thousands of miles including high speeds and I have no doubt it will perform again very well over the course of the coming years especially if there has been any product improvement in 10 years.
PPF & ceramic.jpg

UPDATE: my experience with STEK after almost 30K miles of driving. It did not do well in that the film did not self heal like Xpel had done for me in the past on a 911. Little divots everywhere on front bumper and a chunk in the right headlight. Larger gouge in the center of hood that was noticeable even in low light. The fender sections near the headlight were starting to get small pits as well.

Fast-forward. Model 3 gone and enter Taycan. Did Xpel Ultimate COMPLETE bulk body coverage (no seams) with Gtechniq HALO ceramic coating. So far so good even with extreme highway speeds. The 911 with Xpel held up way better than STEK over the course of thousands of miles including high speeds and I have no doubt it will perform again very well over the course of the coming years especially if there has been any product improvement in 10 years.
View attachment 682330
Niiiiiiiiiiiiice.