Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla closer than we think?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Care to elaborate?

Sure. Waymo has AI, perception, planning and prediction that can handle a lot of different roads and cases all over the US. We know Waymo Driver can do autonomous driving in 25+ cities across the US. So I think it is safe to say that Waymo can handle driving tasks in Virginia.

Also, oops:

and that’s on their “good” road....

It is very rare and you know it. You cannot generalize based on one bad example.

Do you think Musk wants Tesla to drive like a 80 year old grandma ?

You are thinking of Waymo, not Tesla ;)
Of course not. I'm saying that many old people avoid situations that are more confusing which allows them to keep driving. IF Tesla realized there are situations that the current sensor suite can't handle, they could omit those from driving policy, but still get us there safely. Obviously if there are too many situstions it can't handle. then they are screwed anyway

Sure. Waymo has AI, perception, planning and prediction that can handle a lot of different roads and cases all over the US. We know Waymo Driver can do autonomous driving in 25+ cities across the US. So I think it is safe to say that Waymo can handle driving tasks in Virginia.

Ah, so you are saying Waymo has not deployed level 4 then.... thanks, I said that like 8 posts ago. Glad you have finally came around.

Of course not. I'm saying that many old people avoid situations that are more confusing which allows them to keep driving. IF Tesla realized there are situations that the current sensor suite can't handle, they could omit those from driving policy, but still get us there safely. Obviously if there are too many situstions it can't handle. then they are screwed anyway
You are assuming that figuring out what can't be handled is much easier than handling the situation. May be not the case.

Either they have to define what can't be handled very broadly ("no left turns") - or put in a lot of effort to figure out if a situation is such that it can't be handled (currently if they get to a situation where they don't know what to do, the car asks you to take over).

ps : Coming back to your original question - NO - Tesla is NOT close to L3/L4. As their engineers noted, that would require 1 disengagement in a Million miles. Nobody is close to that (not even Waymo in that tiny ideal area they are operating).

Last edited:
Reactions: Microterf
No. Waymo has deployed L4 in Chandler, AZ for commercial use. Waymo has deployed L4 for testing in Orlando, Detroit, SF and other cities. Tesla has not deployed any L4.
Waymo has deployed L4 in a very limited area of Chandler. Thats ALL they have done in 5 years.
Waymo is not deployed in Virginia. But it could handle all the driving tasks in Virginia if it were deployed.
So, this is a statement without any evidence of it being true.

Trust me, if Waymo was confident, they would have deployed in Virginia already. The reason they are still testing in Orlanado etc is that they are simply not confident their software is good enough.

With Tesla, if they can handle Chandler, AZ at L4, they can handle Orlando too.

Thats the difference.

(we have been through this so many times ...)

2021.4.18 handled this merge well yesterday. It fit itself between the bolt and another car behind the bolt. This situation (multiple cars merging at speed and close distance) is always a gray area for human drivers:

20210524_112251.gif

You can’t. But in a certain specific set of circumstances, a Tesla was able to drive itself. Can i get a ride from a waymo in richmond?

Level 4 deployed loololololl.lo
In a certain specific set of circumstances, I was able to bowl a strike. Therefore, I can be a professional bowler. The guy holding the worlds record for consecutive strikes hasn't done it in my bowling alley, so he isn't a real bowler.
o_O

2021.4.18 handled this merge well yesterday. It fit itself between the bolt and another car behind the bolt. This situation (multiple cars merging at speed and close distance) is always a gray area for human drivers:

View attachment 665675

This has the default behavior for EAP and FSD for a long time now. I've seen this many times. It's actually nice that they have this (it does not behave this way with standard AP IIRC). But I've also seen this behave poorly as well. Even if there was no car in front, and you're traveling at a speed where you could easily pass, it'll slam on the brake and try to dive behind