Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla installing Powerwalls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had read Tesla no longer installs Powerwalls if not bundled with panels.

Yet Tesla webpage states as follows for purchase of two Powerwalls.

Is this accurate or will I pay $25k and wait six months?

1691267024208.png

There is an existing thread on this with experiences that might interest you. I was going to merge this thread into there (since its the same topic) but decided I would just link you to it.'

The short version (since I really dislike "click here to know more" type posts / threads) is that people are reporting it is taking longer than they anticipated. This is probably very dependent on where you are, workload where you are, who Tesla is using to install in your area, etc.

Reactions: Mayer
@Mayer, your two powerwalls can accept a maximum of 5kW each, 10kW total from your solar. Given the size of your PV array, you might need to have three powerwalls.

All the best,

BG
BG,

I’ve looked over the specs but still wanted to clarify your point:

Due to size of PV array (15.33 kW), it is necessary to match it with 3 Powerwall packs to avoid damaging system;

Having only 2 Powerwalls could likely be insufficient to be connected to a 15.33 kW array and might risk a meltdown or other hazard?

BG,

Due to size of PV array (15.33 kW), it is necessary to match it with 3 Powerwall packs to avoid damaging system;

Having only 2 Powerwalls could likely be insufficient to be connected to a 15.33 kW array and might risk a meltdown or other hazard?

it wont cause a meltdown, but depending on how much actual power your system generates (just because its a 15.33kW sized system, it does not mean it ever generates that as peak power input), in a power outage you could end up in a situation where the PV generates too much power for the powerwalls and doesnt work.

If your 15.33kW system is spread across multiple roof planes, and never peaks above 10kW, then you would not need to worry about that potential issue. If it does (go above 10kW peak power) then installing only 2 powerwalls would likely require reconfiguration of your PV setup such that some of it is not connected to the powerwalls.

For that size array, 3 would definitely be "better" and not require potential PV re work, but whether 2 requires it or not depends on your specific setup, how much power your system actually generates at peak power output, etc.

• Helpful
Reactions: BGbreeder
it wont cause a meltdown, but depending on how much actual power your system generates (just because its a 15.33kW sized system, it does not mean it ever generates that as peak power input), in a power outage you could end up in a situation where the PV generates too much power for the powerwalls and doesnt work.

If your 15.33kW system is spread across multiple roof planes, and never peaks above 10kW, then you would not need to worry about that potential issue. If it does (go above 10kW peak power) then installing only 2 powerwalls would likely require reconfiguration of your PV setup such that some of it is not connected to the powerwalls.

For that size array, 3 would definitely be "better" and not require potential PV re work, but whether 2 requires it or not depends on your specific setup, how much power your system actually generates at peak power output, etc.
Yup, it went over 10 almost every day this month:

Attachments

• 7887D98C-8746-47DD-B653-8CC57B8FA629.png
    7887D98C-8746-47DD-B653-8CC57B8FA629.png
    359.5 KB · Views: 29
BG,

@jjrandorin is spot on. This applies to off grid operation: if the total solar (PV) output is more than 10kW, the Tesla Gatewaywill signal the solar to shutdown. (To prevent damage.) The solar shutdown rather defeats the purpose of getting batteries charged by solar in an off grid/backup scenario. To avoid it, you either need a third Powerwall, or ensure that the house load is always large enough to keep solar output minus house load to less than 10kW. Depending on your household power demands and the time of year, etc., that may be trivial to do, or not. I tend to assume that nobody is home when this happens (minimum household load with no humans around) and ask if it would be ok.

All the best,

BG

@jjrandorin is spot on. This applies to off grid operation: if the total solar (PV) output is more than 10kW, the Tesla Gatewaywill signal the solar to shutdown. (To prevent damage.) The solar shutdown rather defeats the purpose of getting batteries charged by solar in an off grid/backup scenario. To avoid it, you either need a third Powerwall, or ensure that the house load is always large enough to keep solar output minus house load to less than 10kW. Depending on your household power demands and the time of year, etc., that may be trivial to do, or not. I tend to assume that nobody is home when this happens (minimum household load with no humans around) and ask if it would be ok.

All the best,

BG
I understand this much: solar array of 15kW is likely too large for two 5 kW Powerwalls and so three Powerwalls would better ensure proper operation at critical moment of grid/power failure.

If not too tedious, I have a follow up question to understand why.

In situation where household draw is insufficient to prevent Gateway from shutting down solar production because battery storage is maxed out and there is no draw on system (maybe we are away), won’t the Gateway reboot solar production once household draw increases and thus breaches the 10kW threshold?

Or, more likely, once Gateway shuts down production, there is no way for household to start drawing energy again until the grid is restored?

Seems like no problem in summer when AC can be remotely controlled with App.

But but could be problematic in winter with propane heat since there could be near zero household draw if we were away.

If we were home, we could plug in some electric heaters but if we are away, not so easy.

Have I grasped the problem of having insufficient battery storage space?

If so, I’m just wondering why there is no risk of three or four Powerwalls filling up and triggering the Gateway to shut down production if there is no household draw over several days (away on vacation)?

This sounds a lot like trying to use a bucket to capture water dripping from the ceiling.

Sooner or later it will overflow if nobody empties it.

I understand this much: solar array of 15kW is likely too large for two 5 kW Powerwalls and so three Powerwalls would better ensure proper operation at critical moment of grid/power failure.

If not too tedious, I have a follow up question to understand why.

In situation where household draw is insufficient to prevent Gateway from shutting down solar production because battery storage is maxed out and there is no draw on system (maybe we are away), won’t the Gateway reboot solar production once household draw increases and thus breaches the 10kW threshold?

Or, more likely, once Gateway shuts down production, there is no way for household to start drawing energy again until the grid is restored?

Seems like no problem in summer when AC can be remotely controlled with App.

But but could be problematic in winter with propane heat since there could be near zero household draw if we were away.

If we were home, we could plug in some electric heaters but if we are away, not so easy.

Have I grasped the problem of having insufficient battery storage space?

If so, I’m just wondering why there is no risk of three or four Powerwalls filling up and triggering the Gateway to shut down production if there is no household draw over several days (away on vacation)?

This sounds a lot like trying to use a bucket to capture water dripping from the ceiling.

Sooner or later it will overflow if nobody empties it.
The PW will shutdown solar when full and restart it when there is room for more (around 95% or so). That part is automatic. The concern with emergency shutdown happens when the power from solar exceed the power that can be managed by the PW. This is instantaneous power in kW. If the solar power is more than house load plus 5kW per PW, then it has no where to go, and the PW shuts down to prevent damage. It will restart once grid power returns.

You won't have this problem in winter as solar production is typically half or less of summer production. So the only scenario to be concerned with is when max solar power > minimum home load + 5kW per PW. If that is never exceeded, it will work.

The PW will shutdown solar when full and restart it when there is room for more (around 95% or so). That part is automatic. The concern with emergency shutdown happens when the power from solar exceed the power that can be managed by the PW. This is instantaneous power in kW. If the solar power is more than house load plus 5kW per PW, then it has no where to go, and the PW shuts down to prevent damage. It will restart once grid power returns.

You won't have this problem in winter as solar production is typically half or less of summer production. So the only scenario to be concerned with is when max solar power > minimum home load + 5kW per PW. If that is never exceeded, it will work.
Thank you.