Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the “Vehicle Only Spotify Account” included with premium connectivity in Canada?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AFAIK, you have to pay for a Spotify Premium subscription to use Spotify in your Tesla. This is in addition to paying for premium connectivity. There are several threads here about this, including the one here:

You need an account. Free version isn’t good enough. Has to be premium.

Reactions: mounties99
Upvote 0
AFAIK, you have to pay for a Spotify Premium subscription to use Spotify in your Tesla. This is in addition to paying for premium connectivity. There are several threads here about this, including the one here:

You need an account. Free version isn’t good enough. Has to be premium.
Can you use the browser to listen to Spotify? Like while driving.

Upvote 0
Can you use the browser to listen to Spotify? Like while driving.
Oddly, I think I was once able to do this. It was the only web site I could find that would. But the last I checked, Tesla fixed this bug and it no longer works. Being so restrictive may seem perverse but NHTSA is concerned about possible driver distractions so audio and video web sites are disabled when the car is in drive.

Most people who don't use premium connectivity connect their phone to their Tesla via Bluetooth. This way anything you can play on your phone can be played in the car and NHTSA doesn't care (which seems to be inconsistent at best). I've used bluetooth for audio books and I also have some playlists downloaded to give me access to them when the car is out of cell range. I also use a usb stick since many places where I drive don't have cell coverage.

Some people use their phone as a hotspot and connect their car to it via wifi. It can be a hassle. I've never tried it myself. I opted for premium connectivity instead of upgrading my phone plan.

This article has a handy dandy chart that shows what's available with basic connectivity, wifi hotspot, and premium connectivity.

One more thing: the Tesla Spotify app is not nearly as good as their web site or their phone/tablet app. This was very frustrating to me at first but I eventually got used to it and accepted its limitations.

Reactions: Bob123
Upvote 0
Somple use their phone as a hotspot and connect their car to it via wifi. It can be a hassle. I've never tried it myself. I opted for premium connectivity instead of upgrading my phone plan.

This article has a handy dandy chart that shows what's available ...
Not much of a hassle. Just turn on hot spot before entering. But I suppose having to use your phone rather than the car's screen to set up streaming is a bit of a hassle

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not much of a hassle. Just turn on hot spot before entering. But I suppose having to use your phone rather than the car's screen to set up streaming is a bit of a hassle
This is why I said "some people" not "all people". There are threads here with posts by people who have trouble getting the hotspot set up every time they use they car.
OTOH, some people have used Macro Droid to set up the hotspot automatically:
I got bored with turning the hotspot on every time I got in the car, so have now downloaded MacroDroid which let's you set up an automated macro which automatically turns the phone hotspot on every time the phone connects to the Tesla via Bluetooth (i.e when you get in).

I'm glad you found a solution that works for you!

Reactions: Bob123
Upvote 0