Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the 20' mobile connector long enough for this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone tried suspending 24' cord from garage rafters using a tool balancer to suspend charging end when not in use? I'm considering it & wonder if it would violate some electrical code.

I hadn't thought of the tool balancer idea, but I intend to semi-permanently(but easily removably) run my 24' HPWC cord from the wall of my garage(near rear left of left bay in OP's picture), over one garage bay so I can park in the right hand bay of OP's picture. It'll probably run across the front wall of the garage. I just haven't gotten around to it yet because I haven't had much need to charge at home.

Has anyone tried suspending 24' cord from garage rafters using a tool balancer to suspend charging end when not in use? I'm considering it & wonder if it would violate some electrical code.

I am not 100% sure, though I think inspectors would be OK with it, but would want the Wall Connector unit to be at a reasonable working height for access. Not sure they care where the cord goes as long as it does not go through walls or otherwise do anything that might cause it to heat up more than it would in a regular wall coil, etc...

I am not 100% sure, though I think inspectors would be OK with it, but would want the Wall Connector unit to be at a reasonable working height for access. Not sure they care where the cord goes as long as it does not go through walls or otherwise do anything that might cause it to heat up more than it would in a regular wall coil, etc...

Yes, the HPWC is at a normal height, about 54" above the floor(Note that nowhere in the installation manual does it say where on the foot-tall HPWC base that suggested 48" is to be measured from!), but with the 24' of cord I have plenty to go up, over, and back down. I have no intent to enclose or entrap it, in case I ever need to use it in the left bay or out in the driveway.

Reactions: eprosenx
(Note that nowhere in the installation manual does it say where on the foot-tall HPWC base that suggested 48" is to be measured from!)

I am glad I am not the only one that Tesla's instructions drive bat s*** crazy! They have a huge lack of technical specificity on some things. The other one that kills me is that the Wall Connector does not say what the maximum wire gauge you can land on the terminals is. WTF... That is like basic info about any electrical equipment.

(sounds like you have a good plan - as long as you don't entrap the wire at all I don't see any issues!)