Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the clearcoat really soft or is it just me?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm used to fairly hard paint on previous cars, but is the Tesla clearcoat supposed to be as soft as I think it is? Mine literally scratches with the faintest thing touching it.

An example (which I know is my fault): I was carrying a cardboard box to put in the boot and lent it against the rear bumper as I was being lazy whilst I pressed the boot button - I do miss the kick sensor on my old car. When I took the box away there was loads of dust left from the box (dust and micro grit most likely). I brushed it away with my hand and the scratches in the paintwork are crazy. I didn't move the box around at all, maybe it wouldn't have been 100% stationary, but this was so surprising how many marks it left.

I also had a similar problem when opening the boot touched a leaning over hedge by accident and it was as if it ran against sand paper.

I can most likely polish it out but it seems surprisingly soft.

Reactions: hcdavis3
The clear coat and Tesla paint compound is “soft” so that’s why there’s so many aftermarket companies doing ceramic coating or PPF making a killing on Tesla’s. Once done it’s fine but something I’d say tesla can work on once more competition arrive and pressure them - mines midnight sliver so know what you mean.

Yep. Just love them (and hate them).
Well, there's your problem (and mine!)

A flat black is good at highlighting the smallest mark, my previous black cars have had a degree of metallic black that makes it slightly less obvious, but I doubt the clear-coat is significantly different. After a while I use a bit of compound and then polish and it's back to new.

Also Ceramic Coating don't really help, I have a decent coating, still easy to make marks. Might be slightly harder to polish them out.

I'm used to fairly hard paint on previous cars, but is the Tesla clearcoat supposed to be as soft as I think it is? Mine literally scratches with the faintest thing touching it.

An example (which I know is my fault): I was carrying a cardboard box to put in the boot and lent it against the rear bumper as I was being lazy whilst I pressed the boot button - I do miss the kick sensor on my old car. When I took the box away there was loads of dust left from the box (dust and micro grit most likely). I brushed it away with my hand and the scratches in the paintwork are crazy. I didn't move the box around at all, maybe it wouldn't have been 100% stationary, but this was so surprising how many marks it left.

I also had a similar problem when opening the boot touched a leaning over hedge by accident and it was as if it ran against sand paper.

I can most likely polish it out but it seems surprisingly soft.

People have been talking about this for years; it isn't just you. This is why paint protection films and ceramic coatings are so popular in the Tesla community.

Is it that the cars don't sit for many months before delivery, so there is less time for the clear clearcoat to harden?
But they do sit on a boat for many weeks. Pretty sure other car manufacturers don't have sold stock sitting for months waiting for the paint to harden.

It's just the formulations of paint that make the difference to hardness. Here's a guide to each type:

I'll see if I can find an updated guide with Tesla.

It won't be due to time for the clear coat to harden, but it may well be associated with the clear coat going on before the layer beneath has properly gone off or the clear coat being chucked on too thick rather than flashing off between it's layers