Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the Key Fob worth buying?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is an example of using the Apple Watch for my Model 3. From the watch face I can tap to open the frunk or the trunk, unlock the car, and access the Stats app or the Watch for Tesla app to control the climate, Sentry mode, Homelink, charging, blah, blah, blah.........

Easier than fumbling with the phone and as long as I'm armed I always have easy access. You do still need the iPhone Tesla app or the key card to drive but easier access for me, for example, when I am carrying bags of groceries and need an open trunk.........
Infograph_email@2x.png

I just discovered that with the Stats app on the Apple Watch I can just raise my arm and say........Siri, open trunk........done. I can do this with the Stats app on the iPhone but I have to pick up the phone, wait for it to wake up the app, and push the side button to get Siri's devoted attention. Speaking to my grocery bag laden arm is easier. Cool, I like learned something today. That won't happen again.........

In practical terms, yes, but in actual terms, this is the inverse of reality. Your physical key (i. e. one of your RFID 'credit card' keys) must be used to add a new Phone Key to the car.

I’ll argue that’s actually the correct use of the terms. In that the “master key” (in our case, the rfid card) shouldn’t be your primary — it should be the secondary or spare.

It’s mostly academic but you probably shouldn’t use the device that allows you to add other devices as the everyday key.

I’ll argue that’s actually the correct use of the terms. In that the “master key” (in our case, the rfid card) shouldn’t be your primary — it should be the secondary or spare.

It’s mostly academic but you probably shouldn’t use the device that allows you to add other devices as the everyday key.

hey @dmurphy Your "IT" is showing.... :D

On a side note, I am not surprised in the slightest so many people who are either in the field of IT or very interested in it are tesla owners. What is surprising to me somewhat, is how many people now who ARENT in that category are now tesla owners.

• Funny
Reactions: dmurphy
hey @dmurphy Your "IT" is showing.... :D

... that happens. LOL

Be glad I didn’t get into quorums and multi-masters and key slicing....

Totally off topic but I got to help create some encryption management policies many moons ago in a life far away. Let’s just say North Korea will need a lot more range and a lot more nukes before my client needs to worry about losing their master CA.

I ended up buying a fob to have for valet/non-Tesla service center purposes. Given that the card is the "master key" of sorts, I just felt weird handing that over to Joe Random who'd then have all sorts of permissions with the car. Whatever, it's only $150 and it looks fly as hell. :cool:

Reactions: mrg0114