Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the new Fiat Topolino (only) street legal as a golf cart in the U.S.?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2024-Fiat-Topolino-4-1536x1024.webp

2024-Fiat-Topolino-8-1536x864.webp

With just two seats, two (optional) doors, and a full length of 8.3 feet (2.53 meters), the Topolino is not an EV designed to beat supercars.
Indeed, its top speed is limited to just 28 mph (45 km/h), but its charms lay elsewhere.

Reactions: pipestem
There is a golf cart like Topolino:

fiat-topolino-topshot1.jpg
Still not as useful. And uglier, too.

A golf cart would be smaller, probably has a back seat that likely folds down to a small flatbed, is more maneuverable, and handles better on grass (if you're at a grass airport like me). You could also take the roof off and park under the wing of a high-wing airplane, or fit a small tow hitch for towing the airplane around.

In parts of Europe (France at least, but not UK) it is classed as a quadricycle, not a car, and can be driven by 14 year olds without a licence. That's its target market. See the similar Citroen Ami - [edit] as Citroen and Fiat are now both part of Stellantis it's likely a reskin of the Ami. There are lots of Ami reviews on YouTube.

Reactions: voyager
While I love the idea of more golf cart like vehicles for urban transit, I'd probably never use one unless I was in a retirement community solely because of safety. Not that they are unsafe, but I don't want to get creamed by an ICE vehicle in one of these.

While I love the idea of more golf cart like vehicles for urban transit, I'd probably never use one unless I was in a retirement community solely because of safety. Not that they are unsafe, but I don't want to get creamed by an ICE vehicle in one of these.
The town I grew up in had a network of dedicated golf cart paths that went almost everywhere; the only time you really shared travel lanes with regular vehicles was in neighborhoods/subdivisions or parking lots. Most households had golf carts and the paths were also wonderful for riding a bike (which as a kid meant I had a lot of freedom/independence).

I'd love to move back there; the trick is finding a job (there's only one, maybe two viable employers in my field within any kind of commuting distance) or convincing my current employer to let me go nearly full remote...

Reactions: voyager