Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the tire shop tech out to lunch??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I called my local shop to ask about some winter tires.

Gave him the sizes, explained which Tesla Model 3 I had, he put me on hold, came back and confirmed the sizes, but then suggested an 18" winter tire was really a waste and I wasn't going to gain much if anything from winter tires.

He said the only way I would "really" notice is if I put 17" winters on the car and suggested I get a 17" instead of the typical 18"

I don't have a ton of confidence in the local shop and unfortunately won't be buying there, but I'm curious if there's ANY merit to what he's saying/suggesting?

So I called my local shop to ask about some winter tires.

Gave him the sizes, explained which Tesla Model 3 I had, he put me on hold, came back and confirmed the sizes, but then suggested an 18" winter tire was really a waste and I wasn't going to gain much if anything from winter tires.

He said the only way I would "really" notice is if I put 17" winters on the car and suggested I get a 17" instead of the typical 18"

I don't have a ton of confidence in the local shop and unfortunately won't be buying there, but I'm curious if there's ANY merit to what he's saying/suggesting?

I mean... technically a smaller wheel does better in the snow than a bigger wheel but it's stupid to say that winter tires are a waste, especially if it snows where you are fairly often.

I mean... technically a smaller wheel does better in the snow than a bigger wheel but it's stupid to say that winter tires are a waste, especially if it snows where you are fairly often.

I'm in Ontario, near Detroit. It gets cold and snowy, but I've never, ever put winters on a car. I've always had Audi Q5s. With the Model 3 AWD, this is the first year I'm considering it.

Generally you are best off with the smallest wheel you can use in most situations other than smooth dry pavement. However, the idea that winter tires of any size will not be better than other types of tires is ludicrous (assumes quality winter tires such as Michelin X-Ice or Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3). The tread compound of non-winter tires hardens with cold bringing traction on slippery surfaces close to zero. The best plan is to have two sets of wheels and tires so that the tires can just be swapped. It also saves your good summer wheels from getting banged up. And it saves money because you aren't mounting and balancing, plus it eliminates the chance of tire damage from mounting and balancing durng winter switchover.

As stated, smaller diameter and bigger sidewall is technically better in snow, but the average driver won't notice the difference. (FYI, 17" wheels don't fit on a model 3)

Now tire WIDTH is much more noticeable. I tend to size down 1 or 2 widths from OEM for snow tires, and you never want to get wider then OEM.

But...just get the OEM size tires and you will absolutely notice the difference.

• Helpful
Reactions: MountainPass
you called the wrong local tire shop. I have an awd 3 and run x-ice xi3 and am quite happy. your car will kick the tail out a bit when accelerating in snow, so winter tires make a huge difference.

frankly, if you're putting snows on your aero wheels, Costco in Burlington does a decent job and are cheap. I've also used tires23 in Mississauga for years and am happy with their service.

the aero rims are great in winter. they're great in summer too - right now I'm running the tesla summer tire package (Michelin pilots) on aero rims and have another set of aero rims for the winters. looking for a third set of aeros for the spring/fall to run all-seasons when it's too cold for the sumer tires :)

you called the wrong local tire shop. I have an awd 3 and run x-ice xi3 and am quite happy. your car will kick the tail out a bit when accelerating in snow, so winter tires make a huge difference.

frankly, if you're putting snows on your aero wheels, Costco in Burlington does a decent job and are cheap. I've also used tires23 in Mississauga for years and am happy with their service.

the aero rims are great in winter. they're great in summer too - right now I'm running the tesla summer tire package (Michelin pilots) on aero rims and have another set of aero rims for the winters. looking for a third set of aeros for the spring/fall to run all-seasons when it's too cold for the sumer tires :)

It does sound like it!