Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the Unplugged Performance high efficiency trunk spoiler the best Model 3 spoiler?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered in August with only 1 email from Ben explaining the delay and stating they were expecting it before the end of the year then no updates after that.

I had to email several times and vent on this forum before getting a response.

Latest email says that I'll get it next month. We'll see...

i received mine last Tuesday, the high efficiency one in mate finish. I didn’t take it out of the bubble wrap yet, will probably do next week when I have more time.

IAD Spoiler.

Attachments

• DA5A5CC5-022C-48AC-8069-3E785EB1C2B5.JPG
    DA5A5CC5-022C-48AC-8069-3E785EB1C2B5.JPG
    321.9 KB · Views: 452
  • 652DC616-B878-4553-B501-37167C1C19B1.JPG
    652DC616-B878-4553-B501-37167C1C19B1.JPG
    464.5 KB · Views: 332
I still haven't received mine yet. And they told me it would be early March.

Hi Orwell, I don't see any previous messages sent from you unfortunately so I'm caught a bit off guard and catching up on this topic although I did see you post it multiple times this morning on TMC threads. Although there are no private messages that I can find, my best guess is you've emailed someone on our team and I'll follow up directly with you to figure out which email address you are communicating with on our team to make sure there are no emails lost. We have a small team of 4 full time account reps and they work hard to respond to all emails within 1-2 business days but it is possible an email got overlooked or caught in a spam filter and we will absolutely get right on it as soon as we can determine where/how you contacted us previously. Regarding the earlier production delays on the dry carbon trunk spoiler, I can certainly appreciate that it is frustrating to see other pre-orders get delivered and while you continue to wait a long time for yours. We continue to work to ramp up production to fulfill last year's back-orders. Due to the heavy amount of man hours involved in making these in pre-preg carbon fiber that is autoclave produced, then UV clearcoated afterwards, the production bandwith only allows for an output of 10-15 a month. We had a heavy back log and are working hard to get through it (we've recently produced a second set of tooling to double capacity) although COVID-10 has slowed progress. If you were in queue for last month target delivery then that means you are likely within a few weeks from getting yours however we are never highly accurate at predicting everyone's delivery as there are a lot of variables in scrap rate, production bandwidth, and staff resources during covid-19. If you ever feel tired of waiting, a full refund is always possible as well. We will continue to do our best to catch up on every outstanding trunk spoiler order which have seen higher demand than we expected and that we also feel are overdue for production/delivery. In the meantime we continue to receive rave reviews on it for both quality and high speed driving range gain so we hope you'll soon get that experience as well. We are grateful for your and everyone else's patience as we continue to do our best to make a great product to the high standards we are known for.

Reactions: Lindenwood
@kurgen99 @Sam1
Truthfully I bough this lip only for looks and had it on for about a month and glanced over at my wh/mi and noticed a slight decrease. Didn’t know if it was a placebo effect or not so decided to do a Highway run. Of course everyone is going to say there’s a lot of variables (temperature, speed, wind, direction, tires, traffic, etc) so I decided to do a test.

Had to go run an errand across town. Late at night. Temperature is 80 degrees. Place is right off the highway and No traffic. Perfect. Runs were back to back so wind direction is negated. Everything time stamped and visible. Music from same album and a thumbs up from me so no BS downloading pics here. Y’all can do the math on the MPH.

No lie....it works. My lifetime average wh/mi is 285 and I’m rolling on 19x9.5 VMR wheels with 245/40 tires and lowered.
1B915692-42CF-49B9-B247-5114D5801F68.jpeg
01F85E66-4D8A-48E3-993A-BB2C58F99451.jpeg
B8E3EDFB-0E40-48CC-9427-3789ADFC3867.jpeg

You're comparing two highway runs to your lifetime average and attributing the difference to the splitter?

Did you read my post? I ONLY bought it for looks. Always knew about the CFD but that was like 5% of my decision. Whether or not it gave or took away efficiency was never a concern for me just like anyone here buying aftermarket wheels BUT I had a chance to test it on an open freeway and so I did which is the closest to wind tunnel CFD testing. Take my data however you will as I already mentioned how long I had it. If I truly cared about efficiency then I would rock 18x7.5 Martian wheels or any closed faced small wheels but I’m not. I’m just calling it how I see it. I’ll report back to you in another 20k miles ok?

Reactions: hyp36rmax
Did you read my post? I ONLY bought it for looks. Always knew about the CFD but that was like 5% of my decision. Whether or not it gave or took away efficiency was never a concern for me just like anyone here buying aftermarket wheels BUT I had a chance to test it on an open freeway and so I did which is the closest to wind tunnel CFD testing. Take my data however you will as I already mentioned how long I had it. If I truly cared about efficiency then I would rock 18x7.5 Martian wheels or any closed faced small wheels but I’m not. I’m just calling it how I see it. I’ll report back to you in another 20k miles ok?

Can you feel any difference in the downforce at high speeds, 100+, over when it was not installed?

I did read your post, hence my question. I was simply trying to understand the basis for your claim that "it works". I appreciate hearing about your experience.

I did read your post, hence my question. I was simply trying to understand the basis for your claim that "it works". I appreciate hearing about your experience.
I think if you are looking for efficiency gains, the lip might not be for you. The majority of efficiency gains will come from tire compound and contact patch as others have mentioned here. My claim that it works is that I personally see a delta from my “controlled” scenario versus a lifetime figure on that one instance. Every other driving scenario previous and future would have too many variables to account for. My goal was to just give an impression and provide “some” personal data to those curious. Take it however you want to.

But I love the look of the lip and I think it’s the best looking one out there. That’s my main goal.

@kurgen99 @Sam1
Truthfully I bough this lip only for looks and had it on for about a month and glanced over at my wh/mi and noticed a slight decrease. Didn’t know if it was a placebo effect or not so decided to do a Highway run. Of course everyone is going to say there’s a lot of variables (temperature, speed, wind, direction, tires, traffic, etc) so I decided to do a test.

Had to go run an errand across town. Late at night. Temperature is 80 degrees. Place is right off the highway and No traffic. Perfect. Runs were back to back so wind direction is negated. Everything time stamped and visible. Music from same album and a thumbs up from me so no BS downloading pics here. Y’all can do the math on the MPH.

No lie....it works. My lifetime average wh/mi is 285 and I’m rolling on 19x9.5 VMR wheels with 245/40 tires and lowered. View attachment 553096 View attachment 553097 View attachment 553098

Wow, 245 stretched from that angle looks good. What tires and are you dropped? Good range?