Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the Vault cover leaking or is it condensation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You trying to compare a powered retractable bed cover with one that folds manually? Seriously?
Gotta move goalposts to make sure talking points are available.

“Why is my free petrol cheaper than supercharging my tesla?”
“How come insurance on my 1973 ford f100 is cheaper than a CT, huh?! Huh?!”
“I had an econobox in 1997 and it can go 600miles before filling up, not sure why tesla went backwards and didn’t allow this in any of their vehicles!”

Yes you will get a bit of water in any Truck Bed when you open the cover. My Son has a folding Bed cover on his Truck and that thing keeps the Bed dry in all Weather conditions. I had a Truck Cap on my last Truck and my Bed was always dry. With the Vault cover closed the Bed should not get soaking wet. When you open the cover you will get some drips of water in the Bed. So how is it that a cheap 250 dollar folding Bed Cover can keep a Truck Bed dry? The Cybertruck costs between 80 to over 100K but the cover can't keep the Bed dry.

You could also screw in a couple pieces of plywood with a 2mm plastic sheet over any truck bed and it would keep everything dry… but think we all agree that comparing this, or any other folding cover, to Tesla’s powered retractable tonneau bed cover is a bit disingenuous and a huge stretch. If you wanted to compare apples/apples then take a look at Retrax powered tonneau covers… they cost $3K or so and clearly state that this type of cover is not water-proof/tight…

“Every effort has been made to make the Retrax weathertight; however, the Retrax is not waterproof. Use extra care to prevent damage to items during severe weather conditions or while entering a car wash. Water may collect on the cover; remove water before opening.”

Yes you will get a bit of water in any Truck Bed when you open the cover. My Son has a folding Bed cover on his Truck and that thing keeps the Bed dry in all Weather conditions. I had a Truck Cap on my last Truck and my Bed was always dry. With the Vault cover closed the Bed should not get soaking wet. When you open the cover you will get some drips of water in the Bed. So how is it that a cheap 250 dollar folding Bed Cover can keep a Truck Bed dry? The Cybertruck costs between 80 to over 100K but the cover can't keep the Bed dry.
Have you tested the Cybertruck in your specific conditions? I suspect if your other truck with a cover stays dry, the Cybertruck will too in the same conditions. Has nothing to do with the cost of the truck.

Have you tested the Cybertruck in your specific conditions? I suspect if your other truck with a cover stays dry, the Cybertruck will too in the same conditions. Has nothing to do with the cost of the truck.
My other Truck was through Hurricanes, Torrential Rains, Hot Humid weather, Temperature Extremes and no wet Bed Floor. My Son's cheap cover has been through very heavy Rains and high wind driven Rains open up the Tailgate and Bed is dry.

So if it's that big a deal for you, don't buy the Cybertruck! Simple, 🤷‍♂️

Anecdotally that's where it goes. But we can't minimize it as one or even a few people in a forum. All these short comings (odd styling, underwhelming range/charging, vaporware, no spare tire, extender battery in bed, small frunk, funky wiper, false claims, ....) hollow out segments from a potential buyer pool willing to buy a histrionic/influencer/niche pickup.

Anecdotally that's where it goes. But we can't minimize it as one or even a few people in a forum. All these short comings (odd styling, underwhelming range/charging, vaporware, no spare tire, extender battery in bed, small frunk, funky wiper, false claims, ....) hollow out segments from a potential buyer pool willing to buy a histrionic/influencer/niche pickup.
We can't ignore? I sure can. I think I have 9 or 10 on ignore as all they do is whine about a truck they have only seen, and have no intention of ordering. It really is starting to dwindle on the actual comments on said truck as those people that just want to complain keep complaining. I think Elon heard you. If not please X him to share your heartfelt concerns.

Till then back to leakgate.