Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a good technical overview of the Tesla Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David29

Supporting Member
Aug 1, 2015
DEDHAM, MA
Anyone know if there is a technical overview of the Model S, something an engineer might like to read? I'd like to have a basic description of the powertrain (synchronous 3-phase AC motors, AC/DC inverter, reduction gear, battery, charging system, etc.
There are bits and pieces around -- specs from the user manual or from the sales page of the Tesla Motors website, various posts in the forums, some photos here and there of drive trains people have taken from wrecked cars, and there are the patent documents. Plus some descriptive material in Nick Howe's book (not enough for what I would like) and some blog posts in the TM website about various topics that have some nuggets of info here and there. But I have not yet found a more complete description all in one place, and especially not an official Tesla description.
I am mostly interested in the electrical engineering aspects, not the vehicle design (not the body design, aerodynamics, etc.) -- so mostly the drive train, battery system, computer, charging, and the associated HVAC for the battery.
The purpose is to provide some general information so it is not necessary to get into proprietary details, no trade secrets.
Anyone know of such a document?
Thanks!