Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a market?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all. First post but have been watching for a while. I will be ordering a new model 3 in a month or two and am stuck between the performance and AWD plus getting the performance upgrade as I love speed! My question to you is that if I order the performance and get the 20” wheel/tires is there any idea of what people would pay for them as I am thinking of
TSS flow forged wheels with Michelin cross climates instead as I am in northern Illinois. I’ve had a couple Corvettes over then last few years so I know how fast performance tires wear out and that you can’t drive on them all that safely below 40 or so. Just want to know if it’s worth while to get the 20’s for someone if they are in demand.
Thanks in advance!

Hello all. First post but have been watching for a while. I will be ordering a new model 3 in a month or two and am stuck between the performance and AWD plus getting the performance upgrade as I love speed! My question to you is that if I order the performance and get the 20” wheel/tires is there any idea of what people would pay for them as I am thinking of
TSS flow forged wheels with Michelin cross climates instead as I am in northern Illinois. I’ve had a couple Corvettes over then last few years so I know how fast performance tires wear out and that you can’t drive on them all that safely below 40 or so. Just want to know if it’s worth while to get the 20’s for someone if they are in demand.
Thanks in advance!

I'm in Illinois.

No question - you will never regret performance.

I found it best to have 2 sets of rims. 1 Performance set and 1 Winter set.

Reason? All season tires can't do what summer tires can.

Both sets are 20" so that I always have 4 nice spares in case I need to repair one of the ones I'm using.

Last edited:
I’m biased, but if you’re even considering the performance, get the performance. Now for the performance upgrade (brakes/wheels/etc). That’s a harder call. Being in the part of the country with winter, I’d go the stealth route. Especially if you’re wanting to get aftermarket wheels straight off. Two sets of wheels has been a wise move for many sportscar owners I’ve known that lived in climates where the weather got nasty. I don’t believe in snow, so no personal experience here.

• Funny
Reactions: Garlan Garner
I’m biased, but if you’re even considering the performance, get the performance. Now for the performance upgrade (brakes/wheels/etc). That’s a harder call. Being in the part of the country with winter, I’d go the stealth route. Especially if you’re wanting to get aftermarket wheels straight off. Two sets of wheels has been a wise move for many sportscar owners I’ve known that lived in climates where the weather got nasty. I don’t believe in snow, so no personal experience here.

You are exactly correct. 2 sets are necessary here.

The worst tire in snow is a performance one. It slides ALL OVER the place. On the other hand - nothing beats a summer tire in the summer.

I've only been on this forum for a little over a month now and have seen 2 sets of wheels and tires sold from the market section of this forum. While the 20" wheels are nice, the larger tires do affect efficiency and range, so it's a mixed bag. Since I bought my M3 for my daily commute to work and back, maxing out my range an efficiency are not as important to me as performance and looks. However, most EVers are mostly interested in efficiency and range, so YMMV (pun intended!).

I've only been on this forum for a little over a month now and have seen 2 sets of wheels and tires sold from the market section of this forum. While the 20" wheels are nice, the larger tires do affect efficiency and range, so it's a mixed bag. Since I bought my M3 for my daily commute to work and back, maxing out my range an efficiency are not as important to me as performance and looks. However, most EVers are mostly interested in efficiency and range, so YMMV (pun intended!).

I'm certainly NOT part of the most that are mostly interested in efficiency and range.

I am part of the most that is interested in aesthetics. I mean look at my avatar on the left. I'm burning up range with my lighted "T". lol

20's are beautiful.

Thanks in advance!

Not sure why anyone wouldn't get the "free" upgrade package since Tesla changed their pricing structure. It is easy to sell the OEM 20" wheels/tires if you don't want them. Or keep them for the summer and swap to a different wheel/tire setup for winters.

Allegedly you can get like 1000-1500 bucks for the OEM 20s

No idea who's buying them for that price or why given they're overly heavy pothole magnets, but apparently there IS some market for em.

You can get considerably more than that for basically new 20" wheels/tires. $2500 is certainly doable (+/- a few hundred depending on where you live, current season, etc.). Yup, they are heavy cast wheels but they are OEM, which automatically gives them a certain appeal.

Reactions: Okninja
Thanks everyone. I think I’m going to do the stock 20’s for the late spring- early fall and just get some winter tires /wheels. I’m sure the wife won’t be all that thrilled but she hated that I’d leave my vetted in the garage half the year so hopefully I won’t get too much complaining! Now I just need to decide on which winter tire!
Thanks again all! Can’t wait till I order mine!

If you’re considering it, go performance. Try the wheels out - I like them. They’re not heavy in comparison to the overall weight of the car They handle well and the ride is very smooth and comfortable. You do have to watch out for potholes but that would really apply to any wheel on a 2-ton low riding sports vehicle.

I'm certainly NOT part of the most that are mostly interested in efficiency and range.

I am part of the most that is interested in aesthetics. I mean look at my avatar on the left. I'm burning up range with my lighted "T". lol

20's are beautiful.

Same here. I'm most interested in aesthetics than range. Besides, if I was strictly going for range then I would've gotten a LR on 18's.

I actually have 2 sets of wheels - the 20" performance wheels with summer tires, and the 18" aero wheels with all-season tires. It's always sunny in So Cal with very little rain, and it never snows where I live so I can drive on summer tires all year long. I'm keeping my 18's as a spare set to throw on whenever I get a nail in the tire that can't be fixed, and a new tire has to be ordered... which happens more often than you think (AmericasTire certificates come in handy here). Usually it takes a few days to order up the sporty summer tires I use, and then a few more days until I can find time out of my works schedule to get them installed. So being able to still drive my car around during that time makes sense to keep the 18's as a spare.

Reactions: Garlan Garner