Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a Newer Upgraded Redesigned Model S coming Soon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hope i don’t get blasted for this but the other day I saw a tesla model S and a new Camry 2018 black XSE with a red leather interior and I actually thought the Camry’s lines were more modern, sleeker, aggressive and sportier. In comparison, the MS looked dated to me now..rounder less sharp edges and a rear that’s starting to look a bit dated .

Oddest compassion ever...I know. But I was shocked at my reaction.

But just had to point out how far mid size sedans have come in the last 2 yrs alone and especially since 2012.

Reactions: sandpiper
My Tesla connection is telling me to wait. Thats all he is saying , I can't get anything more from him except wait with a smile.
What gives? Anyone know anything or is this guy just pulling my leg?

Interesting. There are a few signals popping out from within the noise. The two week extension to supercharging is also highly suspicious.

I've got my deposit ready for an S120D. :)

They dont need to update it they need to make a longer range, faster charging battery.

They definitely need at least a minor update:

- New rear end sheet metal work.
- Dual charge ports - CCS and Tesla
- Updated / upgraded interior eliminating some of the goofiness that's been there since 2012.
- Larger battery. A 115 or better would thrill me.

Reactions: David99
I took delivery of my Model S P85D, December 31, 2014. This is by far the longest I have ever owned a car in my life ( I am 68 ). While I absolutely love the car, if Tesla doesn't bring out an updated S by late fall, I will most likely sell the S while there is still 4 years left on the battery warranty, order the Porsche Taycan, and temporarily drive an SUV, since my wife will not give up her SL 550, and we need a 4 passenger vehicle.
Tired of waiting for a major refresh.

Reactions: David99 and P85_DA
I took delivery of my Model S P85D, December 31, 2014. This is by far the longest I have ever owned a car in my life ( I am 68 ). While I absolutely love the car, if Tesla doesn't bring out an updated S by late fall, I will most likely sell the S while there is still 4 years left on the battery warranty, order the Porsche Taycan, and temporarily drive an SUV, since my wife will not give up her SL 550, and we need a 4 passenger vehicle.
Tired of waiting for a major refresh.

This is one other reason that I think that something's coming. Tesla S owners are placing pre-orders on Porsche's. Tesla will lose a certain number of people who just want something different. I've looked at the current 100D, and it just seems like the same car as my P85D. I like variety.

Porsche's lack of a charging network is a dealbreaker for me, though. Up here in the boondocks it will be a while before we see anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: davidc18
The two most likely major changes that could be coming:
  • Use the 3 battery technology in S/X. This could result in a small increase in capacity, small decrease in weight, small improvement in acceleration, and small decrease in cost.
  • Support for Supercharger V3, which could require changes to the battery pack and/or internal charging hardware (to pass more power to the battery pack)
It's also possible Tesla could tweak the AP hardware again, updating the sensors and/or processor. Since the EAP/FSD technology is still relatively early stage, it wouldn't be surprising to see hardware changes periodically.

There could be smaller changes - like the recent change to the graphite trim, bringing over some of the technology developed for the Model 3, perhaps a redesign of the dashboard to use the new ventless design - especially if those changes would increase manufacturing efficiency and reduce manufacturing costs.

A major redesign of the interior or exterior, seems less likely. When Tesla gets close to having FSD operational, it's likely Tesla (and other manufacturers) will make major changes to the interior when the driver is no longer required to monitor driving - which Tesla seems to believe could happen in the next 2-3 years.

Though Tesla has surprised us in the past - and could introduce changes no one is expecting...

We purchased a new Model X last month and a Model S last year. And even if they make some major changes to S/X - we'll still be satisfied with our purchases - and plan to drive both vehicles for at least 100K miles each.

Hope i don’t get blasted for this but the other day I saw a tesla model S and a new Camry 2018 black XSE with a red leather interior and I actually thought the Camry’s lines were more modern, sleeker, aggressive and sportier. In comparison, the MS looked dated to me now..rounder less sharp edges and a rear that’s starting to look a bit dated .

Oddest compassion ever...I know. But I was shocked at my reaction.

But just had to point out how far mid size sedans have come in the last 2 yrs alone and especially since 2012.

I’d agree the new Camry is the best looking Camry ever, but it’s a bit too body-kit like. Seems a lot of cars are moving in that direction (e.g. Honda Civic). I still prefer Tesla’s timeless, understated design.

• Love
Reactions: David99 and P85_DA
Oh agreed. Just pointing out how newer models are starting to catch up fast.

Just saying lol. For 33k and 305hp...a lot of happy Camry owners every month on their payment date lol.

I love Tesla don’t get me wrong, but 2012 design, drafted in 2010...very different time!
Would like to see at least some initial leaks as to where the design would be going for a 2020+ look...

Imagine that there will be continous improvements to the Model S with a refresh from time to time.

The drive line is still state of the art, and nobody has produced a more desirable 4 door full sized EV to compete with it.

Some fresh aluminum body panels could give it a fresh look, for not a lot of $$, but the essence of the car is still fantastic.

I personally think the current S still looks better than the current Model X or 3.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Imagine that there will be continous improvements to the Model S with a refresh from time to time.

The drive line is still state of the art, and nobody has produced a more desirable 4 door full sized EV to compete with it.

Some fresh aluminum body panels could give it a fresh look, for not a lot of $$, but the essence of the car is still fantastic.

I personally think the current S still looks better than the current Model X or 3.

This is going to change when the Porsche Mission E (Toucan) ships next year. Without a meaningful update, Tesla will some lose some potential Model S customers to Porsche so I bet we will see an update to the Model S sometime this fall or winter.

If nothing else they need to offer something special so Model S customers don;t pay half the cost for a Model 3 for a car that will be almost as good for most customers.