Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a real difference between Model 3 and model S software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
my 2018 MS 75D doesn't seem to have some of the software that the Model 3's have. Is there a difference, (besides appearance) and is it based on the Model or the computer. I don't have the latest computer upgrade, I think that's the MCU3?

I have all the latest software updates, no traffic light recognition yet

thanks

my 2018 MS 75D doesn't seem to have some of the software that the Model 3's have. Is there a difference, (besides appearance) and is it based on the Model or the computer. I don't have the latest computer upgrade, I think that's the MCU3?

I have all the latest software updates, no traffic light recognition yet

thanks

If your 2018 car was built before March of 2018, it will still have the older MCU1 in it which means many of the new infotainment items (Tesla theater, advanced games, caraoke, etc...) will not be there.

Regarding software builds, yes - the software is different between the S, X, and 3 because the technologies in the cars are different. For example, the 3 needs the ability to control things like wipers and vents through the UI in addition to being a landscape layout. The X needs controls for the falcon wing doors, seats, etc...

Also in the same model series, the software will vary. MCU1 vs. MCU2, FSD vs. AP.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
If your 2018 car was built before March of 2018, it will still have the older MCU1 in it which means many of the new infotainment items (Tesla theater, advanced games, caraoke, etc...) will not be there.

Regarding software builds, yes - the software is different between the S, X, and 3 because the technologies in the cars are different. For example, the 3 needs the ability to control things like wipers and vents through the UI in addition to being a landscape layout. The X needs controls for the falcon wing doors, seats, etc...

Also in the same model series, the software will vary. MCU1 vs. MCU2, FSD vs. AP.

I thought that when new software is installed, the first boot somehow polls devices in the car to establish exactly what to install and activate.

When all these version numbers are thrown around, I imagine I am seeing exactly the same version (number at least) being applied to different models. (Not always of course, and some software pushed to specific cars / models etc), but if a model 3 car reports installing 2020.16.2.1 or whatever, is it getting the same starting package as a model S installing the same version nunber?

i notice the software updates going from same version (ie 10.0 to 11.1) on the 3 and S at the same time take different lengths. i've started both within seconds of each other and the 3 almost always finishes before the S
they are both hw3 mcu2 cars
They might be using different WiFi (2.4 ghz and 5ghz). Depending on how old your model S is, there might be a processor difference. Not sure if the extra screen in the S requires additional updating.

Are those 'Branches' determined in the car post download or are downloads different between vehicles (relating to the same software version).

Determined based on hardware and option differences between models and specific cars. Ideally, all cars would use the same software, but there are hardware differences between models and specific cars within models. It’s a challenge to keep up with the differences as there are more variations over time.