Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a Tesla wave?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have yet to pass another Tesla when I'm driving my Model 3....even in Northern CA. Kinda odd...
You must not drive much at all, or perhaps you completely avoid all other cars :p. Mostly kidding, but (also in northern CA) I typically see multiple Tesla's on my daily ~10 minute commute, it'd be almost disappointing that my car was no longer so unique and interesting to others, if it weren't for the planet saving aspect. ;)

Also the "model 3 wave" concept has been discussed before, my understanding is that there was an established wave for a while (Started by the Ride The Lightning podcast as far as I know), before someone realized it was offensive to some group (I never heard the details of who/why it was offensive) and it was abandoned. Perhaps someone else knows more details of it?

Last edited:
You must not drive much at all, or perhaps you completely avoid all other cars :p. Mostly kidding, but (also in northern CA) I typically see multiple Tesla's on my daily ~10 minute commute, it'd be almost disappointing that my car was no longer so unique and interesting to others, if it weren't for the planet saving aspect. ;)

Weird thing is, I do pass other Tesla cars, but I've been driving either my Volt or NSX. My across the street neighbor has a Model S and we've never driven our Teslas on the same day. I'll be without my Model 3 for about 2 weeks this month, as it's finally going to the Tesla approved body shop to correct all the paint defects on my "Due Bill".

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
Also the "model 3 wave" concept has been discussed before, my understanding is that there was an established wave for a while (Started by the Ride The Lightning podcast as far as I know), before someone realized it was offensive to some group (I never heard the details of who/why it was offensive) and it was abandoned. Perhaps someone else knows more details of it?

I don't know the details, but perhaps there was some concern about similarities to this?

OK (gesture) - Wikipedia

• Informative
Model 3s are so common around here now no one bothers to wave. Maybe if I had gotten mine when the LR first came out, it may have been different. I was an early adopter when the Prius first came out and we'd wave at other owners (and get responses) all the time. Even some folks in other types of cars would give us the thumbs-up.

He tried to get the "OK" sign as a thing, since it also holds up 3 fingers. Turns out White Supremacists were using the same sign as the 3 fingers look like a "W" I guess. In Los Angeles there are so many Model 3s and Teslas in general, people don't even look twice. I've gotten a total of 2 wave backs, and one of them was when I rented a Model 3 in MN before I got mine.

• Informative
I go just about every morning to Starbucks drive thru for a morning coffee and will sit in my car in the parking lot listening to music, the news or catching up on news on my phone. Just a relaxing morning ritual. I also enjoy seeing how many Teslas I see there each day, what models and colors.

Today was special however. I saw my Model 3 twin (same config down to the wheels) pull up and go into SB to get his coffee. Saw him yesterday as well. Young guy, tall, thin. He parked a few rows in front of me and more or less across from me facing me. He goes to leave today and gives the Tesla hand wave. :eek: I waved back. Since I’m mostly in a jaded Tesla area it kind of made my day.

I think he might be a morning regular to SB like me and wondered if he might have been the twin that was behind me in the drive thru one day that I decided to do a random act of kindness to by picking up their order. Told the barista to specifically say something like “it’s free from your twin”. So far that was the first time I had a twin behind me in line. I’ve seen many Model 3s there, a lot of the pearl whites, but they were sporting aeros. As you can tell I find these small moments a bit of Tesla fun. :D

Reactions: nvx1977 and KerryOH
Yes. You wave.

I'd say it's more of a nod than a wave.

upload_2019-9-11_20-26-56.png

Last edited:
Being special was fun for a while. Now there are TOO many Teslas up and down the street ... Even my neighbor has one. And STILL the average beer-drinking wrestling fans in parking lots ask "it's all electric, huh?"

I thought the occasional more penetrating "it drives itself, huh?" question was maybe a sign of increasing awareness, until i saw the anti-autopilot luddite posts on this forum. Count on facebook-devastated America to diverge at the speed of light. No brotherhood greets there.

Last edited: