Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a way to set speed limit and get notification if exceeded ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My ins. co. (State Farm) is giving me a reduced rate for joining their program Drive Safe and Save.
It initially has reduced my premium by over $150/yr.
To get a higher premium discount you must be strict by following posted speed limit signs, do not brake harshly, etc.
I would like to be able to get a chime to alert me if I go a certain amount over the posted limit.
They allow you to do 7 miles over without penalizing you.
As speed limits can change from block to block it's annoying to have to keep such a close eye on the speedometer.
I would like to set it at say 5 over the posted limit and have a chime sound when I get to that speed, without using Autopilot.
This is just for around-town local driving.
Is that feature on our cars and I just don't see it?
If it's not, I'm sure that would be an easy update to do.

I have the Autopilot speed limit set to 10% over the posted speed limit. When I drive and Autopilot is not engaged the Tesla will chime once when the speed exceeds the 10% over the speed limit threshold. Example: When the posted speed limit is 35 MPH and I engage Autopilot the speed will be limited to 39 MPH. If I drive the same road without engaging Autopilot a single chime will sound when the Tesla's speed reaches 41 MPH. This happens every time the Tesla's speed hits 41 MPH so if I slow down and then speed up the Tesla will sound the chime again. The chime does not continue to sound, only one time as the threshold speed is exceeded. (I have Joe mode set On so the chime is not too loud.)

I wonder if Autopilot's aggressive braking would be considered a poor driving factor with this program? State Farm doesn't detail or list out everything that can affect your discount but I can guess that your insurance will go up if you...

1) Accelerate or brake too aggressively
2) Go faster than the speed limit
3) Take too many left turns
4) Drive at night
5) Visit dangerous intersections, certain types of businesses or locations known to have a history of collisions
6) Drive while it's raining or snowing
7) Take short trips close to home

If I were enrolled in this, I would put the speed limit warning on, Chill mode for any manual driving and try to use Autopilot whenever possible.

I wonder if Autopilot's aggressive braking would be considered a poor driving factor with this program? State Farm doesn't detail or list out everything that can affect your discount but I can guess that your insurance will go up if you...
I was told it cannot adversely affect my premium. Personally, I don't see any downside, but if I do, I can always opt-out.