Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

is there a work around to purchase oem gemini winter tire package from Tesla if MYP owner?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which specific wheels and tires are you quoting? Would you mind pasting link?
Thanks.
If you follow my instructions, you will find SEVERAL 19” packages in this price range. Others, with, say, Michelin X-Ice tires, will be about $350 more. There are many wheels for the Tesla MY3P in the $225 each range and several winter tires with similar pricing, which is what I based it on.
Did not leave the cart intact, as I have a different model. But their web site is well designed. Http://www.tirerack.com

I didn’t realize that the Tesla Gemini package is actually pretty well priced at $2500. If one likes their package, then….

Last edited:
If you follow my instructions, you will find SEVERAL 19” packages in this price range. Others, with, say, Michelin X-Ice tires, will be about $350 more. There are many wheels for the Tesla MY3P in the $225 each range and several winter tires with similar pricing, which is what I based it on.
Did not leave the cart intact, as I have a different model. But their web site is well designed. Http://www.tirerack.com

I didn’t realize that the Tesla Gemini package is actually pretty well priced at $2500. If one likes their package, then….
Yea, the Tesla package is quite attractively priced which is a primary reason I started this whole thread. But I’ll look at tire rack as well. I’m also open to some lightly used wheels so agave posted on the market place here and eBay. Thanks for the suggestions.

EVERY tire wheel combo I have purchased from Tire Rack HAD the tires/wheels And TPMS sensors already installed. Twice I even drove to their Spark warehouse to pick them up.

Does Tesla MY not have the ability to register TPMS Sensors from the display console? If not, I wonder how they got DOT approval?

EDIT - I just checked tire rack. $2500 including tax and shipping for new 19” tires, wheels AND new TPMS sensors, which CAN be registered from the Tesla console. So bolt on, torque the lug nuts and go or spend $24 more to have a local shop install.
...right...I don't know what you checked. I must have been dreaming when I got this message... And this is 5 min ago.

1686089998824.png

...right...I don't know what you checked. I must have been dreaming when I got this message... And this is 5 min ago.

View attachment 944529
You can just add them when you put the 19” tires and wheels in the cart. They are $480, so I assume they are buying them at retail prices from Tesla and marking them up. I did not check any 20” combinations or more expensive wheels. It was a 2023 P model I entered. Earlier model YP used different TPMS sensors, so that’s a possible reason.

You can just add them when you put the 19” tires and wheels in the cart. They are $480, so I assume they are buying them at retail prices from Tesla and marking them up. I did not check any 20” combinations or more expensive wheels. It was a 2023 P model I entered. Earlier model YP used different TPMS sensors, so that’s a possible reason.
You're not reading what I even highlighted in yellow in the pic... here in caps: "CURRENTLY, TIRE RACK DOES NOT CARRY THE SENSORS YOU NEED."

They do. Sorry if you can’t find it. I had it all in the cart and even selected a place to install. I didn’t select that tire. AND STOP YELLING! I did look at your post.
Apologies... show me what I'm doing wrong... :(

@RichBenn , before you place your order, I would call them to verify that what you're getting is for the 2023 models and up. I read that there's 2 different TPMS for Tesla (Bluetooth which is the new ones and RF which are the old ones). Also read somewhere that the new ones were NOT available through Tire Rack but somehow available through Ebay!? I do find that odd. But once I take delivery, I'll cross that bridge where I will call the Tire Rack for the 19" wheels. I'd hate for them to mount the wrong TPMS where my MYP can't read them.

1686093148770.png

EVERY tire wheel combo I have purchased from Tire Rack HAD the tires/wheels And TPMS sensors already installed. Twice I even drove to their Spark warehouse to pick them up.

Does Tesla MY not have the ability to register TPMS Sensors from the display console? If not, I wonder how they got DOT approval?

EDIT - I just checked tire rack. $2500 including tax and shipping for new 19” tires, wheels AND new TPMS sensors, which CAN be registered from the Tesla console. So bolt on, torque the lug nuts and go or spend $24 more to have a local shop install.

@RichBenn We haven't heard back from you. Still eager to see how you've managed to get wheel+tire+TPMS ordered and put together from Tire Rack. I posted a direct pic from Tire Rack showing TPMS are unavailable for our cars. Can you show us how you did it?

@RichBenn We haven't heard back from you. Still eager to see how you've managed to get wheel+tire+TPMS ordered and put together from Tire Rack. I posted a direct pic from Tire Rack showing TPMS are unavailable for our cars. Can you show us how you did it?
Sorry, been away from internet and cell for a few days.

First, I am NOT buying wheels and tires. Just trying to outline an option. This is my last post on this topic. I don’t know why you get different results.
Second, I posted how to select and order this in an earlier response.
Third - you can’t order the TPMS sensors separately for Tesla. (One possible problem)
Fourth here are screenshots:

Attachments

• IMG_0673.jpeg
    IMG_0673.jpeg
    209 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0674.jpeg
    IMG_0674.jpeg
    149.2 KB · Views: 53
Sorry, been away from internet and cell for a few days.

First, I am NOT buying wheels and tires. Just trying to outline an option. This is my last post on this topic. I don’t know why you get different results.
Second, I posted how to select and order this in an earlier response.
Third - you can’t order the TPMS sensors separately for Tesla. (One possible problem)
Fourth here are screenshots:
Many thanks for posting this! It was the WHEELS which was causing me issues. It appears that the TPMS sensors are not available for the Konig, yet they are for MSW. I would have thought it wouldn't matter but it apparently does. See pics here where it's NOT available for Konig, but it's available for my choice of MSW.... I guess MSW it is!

EDIT: Tire Rack says it's a database error that they are going to fix now.

MSW.PNG

Konig.PNG

Last edited:

Tirerack sells TPMS separately at $120 each or $480 for a set of four sensors. Currently, the cheapest 18" rims for a Model Y are the MSW 40 (@ $198 each) and the cheapest winter tire for this rim is the Cooper Discoverer at $200 each (which has limited seasonal availability right now).

So the TireRack price would be $800 (rims) + $800 (tires) + $480 (TPMS) = $2080. You could get a better price on the TPMS on eBay (or wherever), but I think you'd have to have the rims and tires shipped unmounted (i.e., separately) and then install the TPMS before having the tires mounted and balanced.

The 19" Tesla winter tire package (not available until Fall 2023) is c. $400 more at $2500 and includes TPMS.

The 19" TSportline winter package seems to start at $3300 before purchasing lugs and TPMS.

The 19" WheelWiz.ca rims seem to start at $205 with no TPMS or lugs.

I need an all-weather/winter tire package for my MYP. I was hoping to buy some used, dinged-up rims and TPMS on eBay or craigslist and have Costco slap some 18" or 19" allweather tires on them, but notwithstanding the popularity of the MY, there seem to be very few used rims for sale at a reasonable price. I'm generally fine with purchasing rims, tires, and TPMS separately and dealing with a separate mounting and balancing process, but at some point, the amount of money I would save does not outweigh the time and effort necessary to lug around 100s of lbs of tires and rims.

Basically, IDK what I'm going to do yet.

Tirerack sells TPMS separately at $120 each or $480 for a set of four sensors. Currently, the cheapest 18" rims for a Model Y are the MSW 40 (@ $198 each) and the cheapest winter tire for this rim is the Cooper Discoverer at $200 each (which has limited seasonal availability right now).

So the TireRack price would be $800 (rims) + $800 (tires) + $480 (TPMS) = $2080. You could get a better price on the TPMS on eBay (or wherever), but I think you'd have to have the rims and tires shipped unmounted (i.e., separately) and then install the TPMS before having the tires mounted and balanced.

The 19" Tesla winter tire package (not available until Fall 2023) is c. $400 more at $2500 and includes TPMS.

The 19" TSportline winter package seems to start at $3300 before purchasing lugs and TPMS.

The 19" WheelWiz.ca rims seem to start at $205 with no TPMS or lugs.

I need an all-weather/winter tire package for my MYP. I was hoping to buy some used, dinged-up rims and TPMS on eBay or craigslist and have Costco slap some 18" or 19" allweather tires on them, but notwithstanding the popularity of the MY, there seem to be very few used rims for sale at a reasonable price. I'm generally fine with purchasing rims, tires, and TPMS separately and dealing with a separate mounting and balancing process, but at some point, the amount of money I would save does not outweigh the time and effort necessary to lug around 100s of lbs of tires and rims.

Basically, IDK what I'm going to do yet.
You can go with a ”minus 1” package with 20” wheels, although you need to verify that the bigger performance model brake calipers fit. I would guess no way for “minus 3” or 18” And maybe 19” work.
Minus sizing is typically somewhat better for snow tires due to higher profile.
Tesla pricing is not half bad. Kind of surprising, as OEM is often WAY more.
A final option may be to buy snow tires for your existing wheels and pay to have them remounted every spring/fall. I’ve gone both ways on previous cars.

Not sure I would do that with a MYP. They would still be very low profile and wide so probably not particularly effective in snow. Not even sure you could find snows in the 21" size...
The 19, 20, & 21" options are all 255 width sans the 21 rears. Tirerack and Discount tire have options, though they are limited. I can't speak to their effectiveness, but have to imagine they are not better than the OE all-seasons.