Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a workaround for Apple Music playing only the first 100 songs in the Library or a playlist when shuffled?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very annoying indeed, it only plays the song from “page 1” and you have to manually go to the next if you want to shuffle those. Playlists are shuffled like it should, between all songs, but the library isn’t. And that is how I always used Apple music, just shuffling the library and don’t bother with playlists.

Very annoying indeed, it only plays the song from “page 1” and you have to manually go to the next if you want to shuffle those. Playlists are shuffled like it should, between all songs, but the library isn’t. And that is how I always used Apple music, just shuffling the library and don’t bother with playlists.
Playlists are not shuffled as well for me. Please confirm that this worked for you. How many songs do you have in the playlists?

I have a couple of playlists with 250-400 songs in them.

When shuffling via the Apple Music app in the Tesla, it doesn't shuffle the full playlist. It never plays songs past the "H" range or so (they're in artist order in the playlist.) So the Tesla will shuffle play AC/DC through Hootie and the Blowfish, but never play Elton John or Neil Young.

On my wife's Equinox, when playing thru Apple CarPlay (where the phone handles the shuffling) it goes all the way from AC/DC to ZZ Top.

So the Tesla implementation of Apple Music is not so great and still needs work.

2023.12.9 has not fixed the bug. So I continue to use Bluetooth to play my Apple Music on the Tesla, allowing the phone to do the shuffling.

The left scroll wheel works for controlling the music but I can’t switch between playlists without touching the phone.

Current 2023.20.4.1 doesn't fix it either.

I sent a service request and now have a mobile service scheduled for Friday afternoon which I'm sure will be cancelled once a human reads the ticket I submitted (asking to fix the bug in a future software update.)

Edit: I just received a message from Tesla. They are aware of the "Apple music flaws" and are working on future OTA upgrades to resolve, but have no timeline for a resolution.

At least they're aware of the problem (and as a workaround I can stream the playlists via BT, and the scroll wheel controls for play/pause/forward/reverse still work, albeit with some lag.)

Edit 2: Yes, they did cancel the mobile service visit.

Last edited:
My understanding is this isn't a Tesla issue but the Apple Music webplayer limitation. If you google "apple music 100 song shuffle" you will get a lot of non Tesla related hits with people complaining about this issue.

What I've been doing is creating a Smart Playlist that will randomize 100 songs from a playlist (that contains over 100). Then selecting all those randomly chosen songs and putting them into a static playlist.

That at least gets me going...but the drawback is having to delete the static playlist, regenerate the random playlist and then copying back into a new static playlist if you get tired of those 100.

Another option is simply breaking up your playlists into groups of 100 songs or less.

I was really hoping to find a solution to this. I posted in Apple Community. I'm so surprised that Apple would put this out there and make seemingly zero attempt at fixing this issue. I also just play music through my iPhone using bluetooth but the in car app is more responsive and works better. It just won't shuffle past page 1/first 100 songs of my playlist. Do people actually have playlists under 100 songs?

I just saw that the Apple TV+ and the iCloud+ subscriptions add up to only $20, and Spotify is ~$17 for a family account. That's the same as what I'm paying for Apple One - Premier that has a bunch of extra stuff we don't use. Bye-bye Apple Music!