Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you listen to music?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have Apple Music and logged in to my MY, but it’s truly trash and impossible to use. I’m used to Apple carplay and it works so well in that landscape but on Tesla Apple Music is rubbish.

Trying to shuffle my whole library but it only shuffles the first page of songs out of 45 pages of songs, so I get the same 40 or 50 songs only shuffling.

Tried to make a playlist of all my songs, it does the same.

I was going to subscribe to connectivity for the Apple Music app but it would be a waste of money.

Anyway, I have given Apple Music app a rest. And now I just play music from my phone but still cant use voice commands to control it.

Is this it??? Feels like the music solutions from 2005. I want to be able to use my voice to play music but just seems impossible (the voice control in general is pretty poor compared to Siri, I have to use an American accent just to try and get it to understand anything)

Does anyone have any tips or ideas that work?

Last edited:
Reactions: positiv
I have Apple Music and logged in to my MY, but it’s truly trash and impossible to use. I’m used to Apple carplay and it works so well in that landscape but on Tesla Apple Music is rubbish.

Trying to shuffle my whole library but it only shuffles the first page of songs out of 45 pages of songs, so I get the same 40 or 50 songs only shuffling.

Tried to make a playlist of all my songs, it does the same.

I was going to subscribe to connectivity for the Apple Music app but it would be a waste of money.

Anyway, I have given Apple Music app a rest. And now I just play music from my phone but still cant use voice commands to control it.

Is this it??? Feels like the music solutions from 2005. I want to be able to use my voice to play music but just seems impossible (the voice control in general is pretty poor compared to Siri, I have to use an American accent just to try and get it to understand anything)

Does anyone have any tips or ideas that work?
I use Apple Music (AM) all the time and it works well. But, you will need to log in to your AM account within the Tesla app (which I gather you have done). Tesla Premium Connectivity is required for it to work. Unlike Spotify, there is no basic account that comes with the car that can be used without Premium Connectivity.

True, the Tesla Apple Music app is not as fully featured as the native AM app (as shown in CarPlay), but it does work fine for playback. I think it's probably best to organise songs/playlists/etc directly in Apple Music, not in the car.

By "voice commands", are you meaning Siri (which does work) or Tesla voice commands (which don't)? I do not know of any Tesla voice commands for controlling media.

Of course you need a decent mobile phone signal for any streaming to work. I travel to a lot of places with no coverage. I then switch the car to use Bluetooth to play my downloaded AM albums from my iPhone. This almost always picks up from the last track I was playing on the phone (not what was playing in the Tesla app).

I would suggest giving it another go after subscribing to Premium Connectivity (even if it is just for one month).

HTH

Thanks - yeah I noticed when on the freeway it would just play the same 2 songs over and over cause it had no internet. So I switched back to phone Bluetooth so I could listen to more.

Yeah Siri with car play could ask it to play a song or playlist from the library and it would play..

I’ve seen people use an aftermarket Bluetooth Apple car play on Tesla. Might give that a go to try to get the CarPlay aspects back - music, Waze etc…

Thanks - yeah I noticed when on the freeway it would just play the same 2 songs over and over cause it had no internet. So I switched back to phone Bluetooth so I could listen to more.

Yeah Siri with car play could ask it to play a song or playlist from the library and it would play..

I’ve seen people use an aftermarket Bluetooth Apple car play on Tesla. Might give that a go to try to get the CarPlay aspects back - music, Waze etc…
I think those dongles use a browser which wont work in Australia as it is disabled when not in park.

I use apple music all the time. I have premium connectivity and its seamless from what im listening to in or out of the car.

I guess you could just use Bluetooth and control the music vis siri or the phone, but just dont get caught touching your phone..

Reactions: schnaxxl
I think those dongles use a browser which wont work in Australia as it is disabled when not in park.
I was watching a video on that and it says there is a setting in the Bluetooth to check the box that says “remain connected while in drive” so that it stays on no matter which gear is selected. I haven’t checked to see if that’s an option for us here on the aus models but maybe that’s missing for us ?

I was watching a video on that and it says there is a setting in the Bluetooth to check the box that says “remain connected while in drive” so that it stays on no matter which gear is selected. I haven’t checked to see if that’s an option for us here on the aus models but maybe that’s missing for us ?
I just had a look, they do have that. I was mistaken tho it’s in wifi settings not Bluetooth - you click on the wifi settings and select the network then the box “remain connected in drive”

Attachments

• IMG_4319.jpeg
    IMG_4319.jpeg
    279.3 KB · Views: 18
I believe that is to do with wifi, ie if you are hotspotting from your phone.

Im pretty sure the browser and most games etc are all disabled when not in drive which i find weird as ive often hoped my passenger would play solitare so they stop talking haha

• Funny
Reactions: jq371
I would have preferred Carplay but Apple Music offers a big library ie everything in my home computer and more
I don’t expect fantastic sound quality
my spouse recently got a Fiat 500e and Carplay works well on that, with the bonus of Apple Music as well
I guess Tesla doesn’t regard having a decent music player as desirable, and we know that they don’t want to include Carplay - surely there’s some way around that if someone can work it out

Reactions: positiv and jq371
My plan is simple enough: trial Tidal and if I like that, done; if not, try Apple Music, then Spotify. If I'm not sold at that stage, I'll settle on whatever worked best for me. USB/SSD storage in the glovebox would be a sad retreat for me in 2024.

How do I listen to music? Via the SSD drive in my car.
@jq371 ... for me same as @Vostok. I swapped out the Tesla flash drive that came with the car for a Samsung T7 SSD. I then partitioned the drive, one partition for Teslacam and another for Music and a third for Lightshow.
On the Music partition I created a music library and re-ripped my CDs as FLACs. What I couldn't re-rip I copied over as MP3. Works a treat.
I tried Apple Music in the Tesla for a month when it was first added in a software update but didn't really like it. In the end I went back to my Spotify subscription (as opposed to the 'free' Tesla Spotify account).

My plan is simple enough: trial Tidal and if I like that, done; if not, try Apple Music, then Spotify. If I'm not sold at that stage, I'll settle on whatever worked best for me. USB/SSD storage in the glovebox would be a sad retreat for me in 2024.
Same for me I think. That was what I had 2 cars ago.

My whole house is Apple eco system - smart home using HomeKit and 11 HomePods around the house .. all my lights, locks, blinds, TVs, aircon, garage, air purifyers and security cameras are controlled with Siri - so to lose that in the car is kinda a step back.

If the Apple Music app in Tesla just worked the way it does on CarPlay it’d be good enough to use

Reactions: schnaxxl and TM3RWD