Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there an "Extra" Parking Brake Step or Not? Weird.....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First, I see the "Parking Brake" as an emergency action, not a necessary normal action - it's what you use when the primary brakes have failed. But I could be wrong.

If someone could park their Tesla on a harsh incline and not engage the parking brake, that's all I'd need to confirm. It's not like more brakes are really needed if the car is held. To me it's like the "hold" feature - the car should be just fine. There's no reason to manually choose to use the "Parking Brake" since the manual says it already is engaged from Park.

Also the manual states pretty clearly that if the car can't safely park on a hill, it will tell you. And it wouldn't need you to manually apply the "Parking Brake".

In short, I don't think it's anything we especially need to really worry about, but I'm interested if someone would test. I have a really steep hill right outside my house, but no Tesla ... yet. :)

I asked Ingineerix on Youtube what the extra parking brake step did. He answered with the following:

"There are electric motors on each of the rear brake calipers that can mechanically apply the rear brakes when you engage P. If it's already applied, the second push-hold just tries to tighten it, but nothing will happen except a small noise."

So it sounds like its not really doing anything additional.
This question's been bugging me a while now. Out of all the BS itt, this is the most logical response, yet.

FWIW, pressing Park 2x does NOT engage the front brakes. Was hoping it did the other day when I had the car up in the air to tighten down the wheel nuts, but no has.

This question's been bugging me a while now. Out of all the BS itt, this is the most logical response, yet.

FWIW, pressing Park 2x does NOT engage the front brakes. Was hoping it did the other day when I had the car up in the air to tighten down the wheel nuts, but no has.
If Require Continuous Press is disabled, quickly pressing Park twice will initiate the auto-summon functionality on cars which have that feature.

Pressing and holding the Park button will show the icon that the parking brake is engaged.

The thing that keeps an automatic from rolling down a hill when it's in park in the parking pawl (Parking pawl - Wikipedia). Tesla famously got into a disagreement over putting a parking pawl into the RAV4 EV ('Complex' Tesla, Toyota union loses power). My understanding is, to this day, Tesla does not put a parking pawl into their cars, so the only thing keeping the car from rolling while parked is the parking brakes, which are automatically applied.

I recognize this doesn't address the mystery of what that sound is on the long press, since the parking brakes are already applied. And it seems very strange that the parking brake indicator only lights when the brake is manually applied. It should simply light whenever the parking brake it on!

Last edited: