Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there really no way to dismiss warning messages? Really?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This post is exactly right. Personally, I don’t find swiping as the most intuitive action to take to dismiss a message that is in the center of a very large display. It makes sense when you’re looking at a phone with little screen real estate. It makes less sense when it would seem you’d have to swipe as though you’re playing tennis to get the message to the edge of the screen.

If you are talking about the large message that may show in the center of the screen I believe that one does have an X in one of the corners to dismiss. The message that you can swipe is the smaller yellow wording that shows up below the image of the car on the left of the screen. This can be swiped down to a small circle icon.

I do find it funny that for having one tire, 1 psi low on a cold morning requires showing a large message on the screen which can be dismissed, a smaller warning on the lower left that can be swiped to a smaller icon, a low pressure icon on the top left and also an "urgent" red exclamation icon on the top right.

I guess it did get me to add a few psi to all tires, so it is effective.

Reactions: webdbbt
The warning would be the same for one or four tires low and comes on at about 37 psi. I check the pressure by the card frequently since there is no spare. Nails and screws in the tread frequently take several days to lower the pressure. My pressures are usually no more than 1 lb. different so if it gets to 3 I would look at that tire.

Reactions: StealthP3D
Really? In 2019? I could perhaps agree with you if it was the 1970's, before the popular rise of touchscreens, but I imagine everyone has a lot of experience swiping to dismiss messages on a touchscreen these days. I'm not sure why it would matter if the touchscreen is small, medium or large, swiping is a natural way to get rid of a message (at least for me). I can't speak as to why some individuals would have trouble figuring that out.

I can tell you. First, some people don't use smart phones. And even some that do, barely know much about them. But these people do drive.
Second, swiping on a phone (of messages) is typically having to do with things like notifications. Commonly real critical warnings and errors have popups that require positive confirmation by tapping on a choice, not just swiping away.
Most (not all) swiping on a phone (at least the 3 Android phones I've had) is for messages that slide in (then out). While fully contained dialogs with errors are windows not at the edges. I realize that this isn't universal because I've seen and used many devices. But that is the point...everything isn't universal. And I've observed and helped many people that do have difficulties figuring it out.

Third, even the Tesla Android app works as I say above. If it gets an error, such as it lost communication with the car, it pops up a message that can't be swiped away...and informational messages are at the bottom, blocking the turn on/off and can't be swiped away.

Fourth, do you swipe right if you like the error message and left if you don't like it? Or is it up for like and down for don't like?

• Funny
Reactions: GregRF
I can tell you. First, some people don't use smart phones. And even some that do, barely know much about them. But these people do drive.

True, I think there is one model 3 owner that doesn't have a smartphone - all the rest do. :D

Fourth, do you swipe right if you like the error message and left if you don't like it? Or is it up for like and down for don't like?

I swipe whatever way I feel like. If it goes away, it worked, if not it didn't. After using something a few times I know what works and what doesn't. Nothing is so intuitive that someone won't make a mistake and have to actually learn something.

Reactions: Big Earl
Wow this thread went really dark fast...

OP, I totally understand. It's a little annoying you can't dismiss the big warning when the tiny icon is always visible at the top (like most cars).

I took a short drive the other day in -18C (about 0F) and on the return tripe, I received the Low Pressure warning - my front left was low, 40psi -- oddly enough, 2 other tires were also 40psi too but not in a "warning" state. I drove about 10 more min before being able to stop and check it with my own pressure gauge; It was a constant annoying reminder.. unlike the basic TPMS symbol.. this is really in your face, and rather distracting.

And to add to it, my tire pressure gauge is telling me all tires at 42-43 psi. Sure, one could argue my tire pressure gauge is garbage -- but then why isn't the TPMS complaining about all my tires.

Obviously, that all said.. love the car, the warning isn't a massive issue. Just maybe a little tweaking is needed.