Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this a Performance or Long Range 2018 M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I am currently have a hold on a used Model 3 via Carvana. Unfortunately I have found their information to not always be correct so I am trying to identify if this car is a Performance or a Long Range.

The Carvana rep says its Performance.....my Allstate agent says the VIN says its a SR.....but the screen inside indicates a "Long Range Dual Motor".

I have seen some things around indicating that it is a Performance if there is a red line under "Dual Motor". Is this still true with current software? Latest I saw that was from posts back in 2018.

Sorry if this is obvious but I want to be certain before dropping $50k on a car. Thanks in advance!

its not necessary to close it. I realize that I didnt answer your question, lol. What that looks like to me is that both carvana and your insurance agent are incorrect. It looks like a dual motor AWD (long range) model 3 to me, with autopilot.

EDIT: autopilot safety features, maybe not autopilot.

It's a Long Range, not a Performance. If it were a Performance, it'll have a red underline under "Dual Motor."

Screen Shot 2021-05-27 at 9.25.27 AM.png

IMG_3092.JPG

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
Hey all -- new member here. And I just ordered this exact car and was trying to figure out if it is in fact a performance. It seems conclusively -- that it is not. I also found out the VIN would have a "4" in the 8th digit if it was a Performance (and a "B" if it is Dual Motor standard -- and it has a "B"). So that seem concluded.

I plan to call Carvana and ask for a price adjustment or else I may cancel the order.

I also see that it says "Autopilot Safety Features" rather than "Autopilot" -- I cannot find anything on they difference. Can anyone help?

Hey all -- new member here. And I just ordered this exact car and was trying to figure out if it is in fact a performance. It seems conclusively -- that it is not. I also found out the VIN would have a "4" in the 8th digit if it was a Performance (and a "B" if it is Dual Motor standard -- and it has a "B"). So that seem concluded.

I plan to call Carvana and ask for a price adjustment or else I may cancel the order.

I also see that it says "Autopilot Safety Features" rather than "Autopilot" -- I cannot find anything on they difference. Can anyone help?

I posted the answer to that question in the thread you started. That car is most definitely not a performance, and it doesnt have autopilot.

Also of note, both of you in this thread state "I have this exact car on hold" so not sure how that works out from carvana, unless this OP released the car after finding out it was not a performance.

BTW, your "8th digit is a 4 if its a performance and a B if its dual motor" statement, not sure where you read that, but I dont think that applies to 2018 model 3 performance vehicles.

Source: My own 2018 model 3 performance vehicle with performance package, with a "B" in the 8th character in the vin.

Correct - the OP must have released his hold. I most definately have this car pending purchase. But will be casting it back to the see.

Still on the prowl for a reasonably priced Model 3 with white interior and Autopilot (or FSD).

Here is where I found that:

Again -- thank you for the assistance.

Here is where I found that:

Again -- thank you for the assistance.

Sure, no problem. I remember reading that. My car is definitely a performance model 3 (with performance package) with a B in that character in the vin. What I dont know is, if they built it as a dual motor AWD and simply flashed it to performance before I picked it up. Back then, the same motors were in the performance and the AWD model 3s.

There were stories of owners going to pick up their car, having it be a dual motor, the delivery tech taking it in the back, and 30 minutes later bringing it back out as a performance. In my on specific case, in dec of 2018 when I picked up my car, I had to decline the car they had assigned to me.

The delivery center manager came out and apologized (and agreed that the car should not have been attempted to be delivered) then said "I have another car back there that was built the same week, that has already been prepped, and is basically dealer stock. I can swap you into that one if you want. I said "sure, lets do it" and they delivered me the car I have now. It could have been a AWD that they flashed to a performance, I will never know.

I just wouldnt depend on decoding the vin to see, is all. I have yet to see the information on the screen for the car to be incorrect as it pertains to what model vehicle it is, for LR vehicles anyway. There are a few people who downgraded their SR+ to SRs and managed to hang onto SR+ features and their car still says SR.

Just look for the red underline on the touchscreen (not the car badging because anyone can get that).

Thank you again -- one additional question re Autopilot.

If the car has EAP or FSD -- will it say that on the same screen pictured above? Is that how you know if the car comes with those features? Asked differently, merely having "Autosteer" as a selectable toggle does not mean that the car is EAP or FSD, correct?

I dont know all the ins and outs of what appears where, but will answer your question with a picture from my own cars screen. I have both premium connectivity I am paying monthly for, and FSD on my model 3 performance.

Please excuse the poor iphone pic I ran out to the garage to grab:

mymodel3.png

You can see the fact that my vin has a "B", while my car is definitely a performance (red underline) and it states "full self driving capability" and "premium connectivity".

I will warn you, however, that if you purchase a car from any car lot other than tesla (as in NOT directly from the original purchaser), there is no guarantee that any FSD on the vehicle will stay with it. If the car ever passed through tesla's hands (as in someone traded to tesla, and they sent to auction, where whoever you are buying from bought it), FSD could be removed.

If the person sold it directly to the lot and tesla never owned it as a used car, it wont be removed. If you buy directly from the original owner, it wont be removed.

There is no way to know the chain of custody when you are buying a tesla from a third party lot (any third party, carvana, vroom, joes used teslas, etc). So, dont pay too much extra for a model 3 from a third party seller that has FSD, because you dont know chain of custody. If you buy from a private party who bought the car new, You can rest assured that FSD would stay (and they likely know that too, if they bought the car new), so its going to cost more that way, but you can get FSD for sure that way as well.

BTW, your "8th digit is a 4 if its a performance and a B if its dual motor" statement, not sure where you read that, but I dont think that applies to 2018 model 3 performance vehicles.

Source: My own 2018 model 3 performance vehicle with performance package, with a "B" in the 8th character in the vin.
Mine says “C” for the 8th digit. It must be a tri motor! :oops:

9452521F-8466-4368-9BDD-D491B0F8D51B.jpeg

I should put in a ticket; Tri is not spelled D U A L. 🤣

• Funny
Reactions: jjrandorin
To clarify the VIN stuff.

"4" for performance is a Model S, not a 3.

For 2018 and 2019 there is nothing in the VIN distinguishing a P from a LR AWD car.

Starting in 2020 there is.

8th spot in the VIN is motor designation. For years up through 2019 it was A for single motor, B for dual (P or not).

In 2020 forward it's B for LR AWD and C for Performance on the Model 3.

That's the official NHTSA doc for 2020 model year.