Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this normal or "within spec" for a brand new Model Y? Cracking of paint or weld under trunk lip near taillights.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Worth complaining to Tesla and is there anything they can even do? My 2 year old Model Y has a much smaller crack and on only one side.

Attachments

• PXL_20230215_143254797.jpg
    PXL_20230215_143254797.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 382
  • PXL_20230215_143248649.jpg
    PXL_20230215_143248649.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 238
sooo which is it brand new model Y or 2 year old model Y? Major difference between the two first one for sure should be covered the second one who knows.
Sorry I wrote that quickly. The photos are from a brand new model y I picked up on Monday and noticed the cracks today when going over the car. I also checked my 2021 model y and it has a tiny crack as well but not nearly as bad and on only one side. I've found some old posts and it seems this is a common issue but I have not seen a consistent answer regarding a resolution by the service center.

Reactions: WyoDude
Looks like they painted over sealant, and the paint cracked. It's not surprising that it cracked there if that's really what is happening. It probably doesn't matter in terms of sealing, and is just a cosmetic issue.

I'm assuming the SC won't fix it because it isn't a structural defect.

Yes, I even complained about it and they say it's common and it's more pronounced in white color. They were telling me even if they repair it's gonna turn up like that in couple of months. The service tech mentioned if you have any leaks then we will take care of that and recorded it in the memo