Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model Y got giant crack in front windshield. How to get Tesla to cover it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So out of nowhere, my three week old model Y gets a crack that quickly spans about 1/4 of the entire windshield. It’s between the two panes of glass so you can’t even touch the crack there was no rock or anything it just started appearing in quickly grew. I opened a service request on the Tesla app and get a quote for nearly $1500 which is ridiculous. I feel like this is a failure of the manufacturers part and should be covered. Can anyone advise how to get this covered and bypass the chat bot that is just telling me that I have to schedule a service and pay that quoted amount.

Attachments

• IMG_0568.png
    IMG_0568.png
    328.3 KB · Views: 95
  • Funny
Reactions: SabrToothSqrl
These type of threads are pretty worthless without pictures. Either there is some form of impact point (in which its not a manufacturer defect) or there isnt, (in which case it will be covered).

Tesla will always quote what it would be without warranty coverage, and then waive the charge if its covered. Without a picture, the default assumption is that it has an impact point. Post the picture and people will give you their opinion on if there is an impact point or not. If you do post a picture, post a picture of the entire crack.

Approve the estimate and schedule the appointment. Pretty simple. If it’s a manufacturing defect with no obvious impact, it will be covered.

When you drop the car off tell them you don’t want any work to be completed until a warranty assessment is done. Pretty easy.

But really, you need a new windshield regardless of whether or not they agree to pay for it. If they hold firm and you’re insistent it’s a manufacturing defect, you’re gonna have to file for arbitration or take them to small claims. But you’re not going to get anywhere at all until you accept the estimate and schedule the appointment.

I just got a crack in my 2023 Y that originates just under the rear view mirror/camera area and extends down towards the passenger side. I swear I can’t see any impact point and I believe it’s clearly a defect in the windshield. Tesla service is coming over in a week to replace it? I can’t see how they can do this kind of repair via their mobile service, I’ll let everyone know how it comes out. I am definitely planning on putting in a warranty claim for the damage. Love the car, but I have owned many vehicles in my life and I’ve never experienced a crack appearing for no reason.