Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this normal? Upper B-Pillar Trim gap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took my 3-week-old MYP to the Austin Service Center today to get an exterior trim fitment issue resolved. This was on the passenger side, and the problem was fixed.

However, on the drive home, I noticed that the interior trim on the B-pillar looked off. Once I stopped, I snapped a few pictures. There seems to be a pretty sizeable gap between the fabric on the trim and the roof liner. This wasn't like this before and I've already sent a request for a mobile tech to come out and take a look.

My question is, are they going to fix it? It will be difficult for me to prove that this wasn't an issue before I dropped it off at the SC this morning. I don't have pictures of that part of the car, sadly. But I inspected it meticulously on delivery day, and I recall this trim being flush on both the driver side and passenger side. See pictures.

Is this something I can fix myself? I've tried pushing on it but it does not really make a difference.

Attachments

• IMG_4987.jpg
    IMG_4987.jpg
    354.8 KB · Views: 1,140
  • IMG_4988.jpg
    IMG_4988.jpg
    446.8 KB · Views: 561
  • IMG_4990.jpg
    IMG_4990.jpg
    421.8 KB · Views: 604
These are held in with clips. Have you tried fixing yourself so you don’t have to spend time messing with Tesla? Seems pretty easy to do.
All I have tried is pushing the top part back in. I'd rather fix it myself if I can rather than wait for Tesla to have the time to fix it for me.

When I try to push the top part back in, it doesn't really clip on anything. Frankly, I'm a little scared of pushing too hard. I don't want to break anything lol

This is something that they’d send a mobile tech to address. I say book the appointment. Based on description & availability tesla decides if you get mobile tech or you have to come to SC. Mobile tech fixed some interior issues that Tesla or body shop caused while my car for gaps were being corrected. Came out and fixed it in 30 minutes.

Mine MYLR has one really perfectly aligned (driver's side) and one with a gap pretty much like yours. It's always vaguely bugged me, but never enough to make a specific appointment to get it dealt with. Tesla are - mostly - getting better at build quality, but interior trim alignment isn't their strong suit. I would get them to fix it. I'll get mine done whenever it's in in for servicing...

Picked up myp aug 21. Have same issue. Drives me nuts.

SC said they fixed it but the just took the headliner and folded over the b pillar.

Mobile came out to look at it and he said he sees it all the time….nothing they can do.

I didnt believe him and had another (newer)mobile tech look at it…he checked the clips….adjusted but couldnt make it better…he called the other tech who told him it is normal and someone just had a bad day on the assembly line….doesnt make sense to me…seems like it wiuld have to be the clips

So i guess it is true afterall. Let me know if they fix it.

I was in service for a very minor thing and had them look at b pillar because I occasionally hear a rattle. Looking at it was clear that we could pull it out and wasn't clipped secure so they replaced some clips and seems solid now.

Unfortunately that was last week. I should have rescheduled for later so I could get the v9 push while I was in there.

Could you look at your invoice from the service and get me the part number for the clips they used. I'm just going to try to do it myself.

Anyone else find a service center that fixed this without issue?

I took my 3-week-old MYP to the Austin Service Center today to get an exterior trim fitment issue resolved. This was on the passenger side, and the problem was fixed.

However, on the drive home, I noticed that the interior trim on the B-pillar looked off. Once I stopped, I snapped a few pictures. There seems to be a pretty sizeable gap between the fabric on the trim and the roof liner. This wasn't like this before and I've already sent a request for a mobile tech to come out and take a look.

My question is, are they going to fix it? It will be difficult for me to prove that this wasn't an issue before I dropped it off at the SC this morning. I don't have pictures of that part of the car, sadly. But I inspected it meticulously on delivery day, and I recall this trim being flush on both the driver side and passenger side. See pictures.

Is this something I can fix myself? I've tried pushing on it but it does not really make a difference.
I've disassembled and reassembled B pillars on my previous Model Y and my current one and I can say that this gap is totally normal.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricAnt54
This is completely 'normal' by Tesla standards. I just came back from my local SC and personally looked at a handful of Model Ys. They all exhibited the same gap. When I asked service advisor regarding this issue, he said that this is the way it's designed and there isn't much that can be done. I think we all need to learn how to live with it.