Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this poorly formed seal normal (driver side base of spoiler)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

holeydonut

Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2020
East Bay NorCal
Listings
So between weird firmware glitch and generally poor paint quality, I’m starting to feel pretty down on this purchase… going to pile on the list of stuff with what I just discovered when my neighbor came over to ask why I was cussing at my new car.

Is this normal? Does anyone else see this on their X?

It looks like a terrible weld or seam sealer in the channel below where the driver side spoiler connects to the car. This stuff is actually painted ultra red, so it happened before/during the body in white.

IMG_6141.jpeg

Car has 400 miles… so even if water pooled in that channel it couldn’t possibly be corrosion (yet).

Edit- wow a lot of water pools in there. I just poured some water in that gap and it’s basically a non-draining channel?

Last edited:
So between weird firmware glitch and generally poor paint quality, I’m starting to feel pretty down on this purchase… going to pile on the list of stuff with what I just discovered when my neighbor came over to ask why I was cussing at my new car.

Is this normal? Does anyone else see this on their X?

It looks like a terrible weld or seam sealer in the channel below where the driver side spoiler connects to the car. This stuff is actually painted ultra red, so it happened before/during the body in white.

View attachment 929106

Car has 400 miles… so even if water pooled in that channel it couldn’t possibly be corrosion (yet).

Edit- wow a lot of water pools in there. I just poured some water in that gap and it’s basically a non-draining channel?
yea that area turns into a lake. I’m sort of shocked that they haven’t fixed it.

Edit: went looking for company in my misery and found out there are tiny drain holes. Who would have known. Liftgate water drain blockage

Good news, two Tesla service techs that looked at this believed it was definitely not normal since the bondo-looking stuff actually was wider spread than my picture indicates.

They agree the general poor paint, runny clear coat, dents, and quality on the entire rear hatch is very poor for a car with such low miles.

Bad news they didn’t know what to do to “fix” it. I think they’re going to submit to replace the entire hatch/door, but it’ll need approval from someone higher up.

Good news, two Tesla service techs that looked at this believed it was definitely not normal since the bondo-looking stuff actually was wider spread than my picture indicates.

They agree the general poor paint, runny clear coat, dents, and quality on the entire rear hatch is very poor for a car with such low miles.

Bad news they didn’t know what to do to “fix” it. I think they’re going to submit to replace the entire hatch/door, but it’ll need approval from someone higher up.
A step in the right direction. Keep us updated!

Update (yes it's taken this long to get an update from Tesla service)...

Tesla sent this car over to a local body body shop where they disassembled the rear gate area to take a look at what was going on with the channel near the spoiler. Turns out it's 3 separate things.

1) someone allowed a ton of weld spatter to remain on the car before it went to e-coat (body in white). The 30-years-doing-body-work-shop-owner doesn't understand how there's so much weld spatter there since Tesla welds using robots. So he's like "maybe they had a guy hand weld this?"

2) the rear window was seated incorrectly which clogs the drain holes. He says this happens to a lot of Model X. I can't find any evidence of this posted on TMC but whatever. He said there's a big bead of urethane that goes around the rear window. If the window is seated poorly or they use too much urethane, then the urethane gets down into the drain holes. In my case, the window was mounted 2mm too low. He said it's actually lucky (lucky?) that I found this problem since the window is crooked a bit too and it's just terrible. He questioned why I took delivery of this vehicle because... it just is very sub-par.

@bmah - the reason is because I am an idiot and the dumbest MF-er on TMC.

Anyway, the urethane effectively clogs those drain holes and results in that "lake effect" where water won't drain properly out of that channel below the spoiler. So yeah, if your car is new, but you have to use a leaf blower to empty this channel, you're probably dealing with the same issue.

The only way to fix it is to replace the rear windshield after removing all the gunk.

3) body shop owner said they see more weld spatter in the drain holes. He can't figure out how this is happening but he says it's just Tesla being Tesla with their famed low-end build quality lololol.

Edit: Oh by the way, in case you're wondering why Tesla won't just replace the entire rear hatch, I was told several times that a replacement hatch is impossible. Both due to parts availability and functionally that they can't really do such a replacement at a body shop or service center. The body shop owner generally agreed with this, he says it's way more trouble to try and replace the rear hatch on a Model X than it is to effectively repair it while it's on the car. But either way, the body shop owner says he'll do the best he can, but I likely made a mistake taking delivery of this car knowing all these defects. Somewhere out there is someone who doesn't care about this type of stuff; they should have gotten the car hah.

Last edited:
someone could try to lemon their car based on this. Tesla being tesla…

Lol I can't understand if you (#1) disagree with me; or (#2) disagree with the body shop owner; or (#3) disagree with Tesla's general practices around customer experience

Regarding #1) I think there is 100% agreement that I am a dumb-azz MF'er.
Regarding #2) The body shop owner is one of the highest rated in the area. Edit... he's got 5 stars on yelp with over 200 reviews. He even did work on my next door neighbor's Jag and the dude raves about this shob. The body shop one of the best as far as I can tell.
Regarding #3) But their shareholders love it!

Last edited:
Lol I can't understand if you (#1) disagree with me; or (#2) disagree with the body shop owner; or (#3) disagree with Tesla's general practices around customer experience

Regarding #1) I think there is 100% agreement that I am a dumb-azz MF'er.
Regarding #2) The body shop owner is one of the highest rated in the area and even did work on my next door neighbor's Jag. He's one of the best as far as I can tell.
Regarding #3) But their shareholders love it!

I don’t know if your car was new or cpo, but either way, Tesla doesn’t make it easy to see a car before taking delivery. An issue like this would likely not be caught by 99% people. Only after it rains or you wash the car. Either way, your last paragraph that says they can’t change out the whole rear to fix the issue is tesla being tesla and dismissive of defects. My SC would probably say “just drive it and the water will splash out”. And, yes, I’ve heard of people trying to lemon for seemingly smaller defects. People’s desire to lemon the vehicle is in part due to their poor service experience.

To be clear, I think tesla should fix this. You’re not dumb for taking delivery. Teslas whole attitude is “take delivery and open a service request and we’ll fix any issues” but in reality they’re hoping owners don’t complain, and if they do then try to dismiss the issue. Anything not easily fixed gets put into the “this is working within tolerance” or “it’s a design defect, we’ll let you know when it’s fixed”.

I don’t know if your car was new or cpo, but either way, Tesla doesn’t make it easy to see a car before taking delivery. An issue like this would likely not be caught by 99% people. Only after it rains or you wash the car. Either way, your last paragraph that says they can’t change out the whole rear to fix the issue is tesla being tesla and dismissive of defects. My SC would probably say “just drive it and the water will splash out”. And, yes, I’ve heard of people trying to lemon for seemingly smaller defects. People’s desire to lemon the vehicle is in part due to their poor service experience.

It was a "new" (I put that in quotes because who the heck knows what that means any more) 2023 Ultra Red X with 21 miles on the odometer when I took delivery. Presumably these were the 21 miles it takes to drive from Fremont, CA to Sunnyvale CA where I picked it up hah.

The car actually felt kind of used though. My wife legit thought Tesla back-dated the odometer. But it was a very recently built Ultra Red, so that was unlikely. The reason for my wife's feeling was just the exterior paint quality was abysmal. Small dings/dents in many places like the car had over 10k miles. It was dirty, and had random bits of trash inside.

Like I know the TMC tesla-stans will never believe me, but we found the button of this purse style under the 3rd row. And there was what looked like the plastic saran-wrap from a deli-sandwich in the back. I didn't bring this up in any other thread before because I figure nobody would believe me. But if I absolutely needed to, I could probably get a sworn affidavit from the passenger (not my family member) who found the button.

WB599LCBROWN1.jpg

You know, you got me thinking about something. So in my other thread about Tesla hiring retail-experts to run their service centers, it looks like Tesla is taking the strategic approach that the key to their long term success is maintain high volume; not about servicing warranty liabilities. Most retail use A stock and B stock channels... where B stock is sold through outlets or used for RMA warranty replacements.

Tesla should have discount outlets where trash Model X's like mine get sent... and since these outlets would disclaim any exterior manufacturing issue they dump these shoddy items to the population who don't care about exterior quality.

Wow, that is interesting and would be so unethical. I wouldn’t put it passed them to pull off that for CPO cars - a known gremlin that can’t be resolved but car can still drive - resell it as cpo and hope warranty ends before customer finds out. Tesla will gladly tell you how much a repair is when it is out of warranty.

Thanks for sharing.

Wow, that is interesting and would be so unethical. I wouldn’t put it passed them to pull off that for CPO cars - a known gremlin that can’t be resolved but car can still drive - resell it as cpo and hope warranty ends before customer finds out. Tesla will gladly tell you how much a repair is when it is out of warranty.

Thanks for sharing.

Well outlets sell products cheaper for a reason. As I’ve learned from being flamed in the other TMC threads there are a ton of people who only want the tech and don’t care if panels are crooked or rain won’t drain. I think Tesla can sell discounted outlet quality stuff to these folks and they’ll be super happy.

Good news, Tesla is going to buy back the car. Shortest tenure ownership of a Model X in the history of TMC. I got 350 miles on it before everything just crapped the bed. I did get to enjoy washing it one time yay.

It's too bad Tesla couldn't actually get a good vehicle in my hands to keep it. I may be the dumbest MF-er on TMC, but there's no goddamn way in hell I'm getting another Model X. I ain't that dumb heh.

RIP the almost dream Tesla garage... Two red Teslas with black rims + 3x Powerwalls and two Gen 3 Wall Connectors.

img_6074-jpeg.935851

Good news, Tesla is going to buy back the car. Shortest tenure ownership of a Model X in the history of TMC. I got 350 miles on it before everything just crapped the bed. I did get to enjoy washing it one time yay.

It's too bad Tesla couldn't actually get a good vehicle in my hands to keep it. I may be the dumbest MF-er on TMC, but there's no goddamn way in hell I'm getting another Model X. I ain't that dumb heh.

RIP the almost dream Tesla garage... Two red Teslas with black rims + 3x Powerwalls and two Gen 3 Wall Connectors.

img_6074-jpeg.935851
Wow! lemon'd without the hassle of going through the process. Are you going to get another one?

Are you going to get another one?

On April 19 my wife asked Dublin Tesla to just pass a mulligan on this botched car and swap us a ultra red x 7 seater with white seats and 22” rims and a yoke that was literally in the showroom.

Tesla said my wife’s request had zero merit and it was our fault for having accepted delivery of the trash model X in Sunnyvale.

I think if the Dublin site GM had treated us like a Louis Vuitton customer that day, we’d be happy owners of two Teslas. BTW the guy used to work for LV.

But instead they forced us though a protracted pain fest, and we’ve never been able to speak with the Dublin GM at all because he never talks to customers. And with this, there’s no reasonable way we’d ever risk this experience again.

I dunno what would happen with another dealer, but I have confidence such a piss poor build never would have made it past a dealer PDI. And we would have gotten a good loaner so this experience wouldn’t have sucked so badly.

• Informative
Reactions: tdiggity
@tdiggity,

I guess you'll find these images interesting... got these photos from the body shop while I was picking up my belongings from the Ultra Red X.

You can see that even making an alignment adjustment to the bolts for the rear hatch would require removal of the rear window. The only way to remove the rear window is to basically destroy the rear spoiler. So if you ever want to inspect or repair the rear drainage holes, the repair could easily run you $5k of parts and labor to get everything re-seated.

This also explains why Tesla doesn't want to just replace the hatch. If they they replaced the rear hatch, they'd first have the entire thing repainted... then replace with new glass and spoiler. It'd be like $10k.

I guess this is another reason why insurance companies may dislike the Model X for repairs. If you got a small dent that needed repainting a portion of the rear hatch, the spoiler and rear window would need to be re-done even if the alignment of the door was fine. So it'd be many thousands of dollars even if the rear hatch hinges are ok.

1683844199084.jpeg

BTW, even with all the stuff removed, we don't really know what is that yellow bubbly crap that would be near the driver side drainhole. He cleaned out the drain hole of the urethane and weird stuff... but said the whole thing was clogged. Furthermore, the rear window was previously installed so badly that it had been pressed down too hard... which caused the window to press up against the drainholes causing any water in there to get stuck and not drain.

Whatever happened with this splotch during body in white would have to be something like weld spatter + flux + some solvent + drunk line worker vomit to cause what appears to be a completely disrupted e-coating and paint process in just that one area. But over the life of a car (especially since water would have pooled here), there'd be corrosion unless repaired.

1683844932271.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: RNHurt and jboy210