Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issue with climate turning itself on during night

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As the title says. The car is only just over two weeks old and recently in the last couple of days the climate has come on somehow (car isn’t being driven). By itself. It must have been running for ages as the app sent me a notification saying the climate has been running for an extended period of time.

has anyone else had this issue. Car was plugged in so it must have been using the electric from the wall charger ?
i've had this Tesla 3 for less than 2 weeks, yesterday it was parked in the sun, i was out on the lake overnight, came back today & the battery charge had dropped 20% overnight & could hear climate system sound, the cabin overtemperature protection was on, i changed it to "NO A/C"

Cabin overheat protection, even with A/C will only lose a % or two even on the hottest of UK days. If you lost 20% overnight, it wasn't cabin overheat protection. Also, that would not have been running overnight - it does its stuff very quickly then sleeps periodically, even in full sun.

If you had sentry on (or summon standby etc), that would have accounted for quite a bit, but again still not 20% overnight. Climate/precondition as discussed here would explain 20% though, at least in the non heat pump cars. Otherwise, fan noises at various times are pretty normal, and don't use much in the way of energy.

Reactions: Durzel
Thanks, yes i was experimenting with Sentry & it made a rediculous number of files overnight, when i came back to the car this morning, i could hear the heat pump running even though the temperature was in the 60s since the preceeding evening. Although i had a Model 3 Dec 2020 through June 2021 i got some things to learn about this one !

As the title says. The car is only just over two weeks old and recently in the last couple of days the climate has come on somehow (car isn’t being driven). By itself. It must have been running for ages as the app sent me a notification saying the climate has been running for an extended period of time.

has anyone else had this issue. Car was plugged in so it must have been using the electric from the wall charger ?

have you followed the advice on this thread?
1) double button reboot
2) if you have the watch app get rid of it ( for now)
3) change your password to rule out any third party apps or others in your family who might have access

If you do all of that and you are still having a problem I suggest you raise a service request but note the exact ( as possible) times that it happens since Tesla will want to check your cars logs probably.

edit
also I assume you do not have the car set on scheduled departure by mistake because that would also do it?

I wanted to let you know I finally spoke to someone at Tesla Yesterday and finally understood there is a bug. After many tries and people just saying to reboot they finally acknowledged there is a bug.

I wanted to let you know I finally spoke to someone at Tesla Yesterday and finally understood there is a bug. After many tries and people just saying to reboot they finally acknowledged there is a bug.
To be fair I said to reboot and try a few other things and THEN raise it with Tesla if that does not work.
You would feel a right numpty going all the way to a service centre for something that would be fixed by a reboot so I stand by that advice.
Glad they at least acknowledged the issue now. Are they going to fix it?

On a related note, we've noticed that the on and off buttons under "Climate" appear to be backwards, not as they were since we bought the Model 3. Note screen shot. We can certainly live with it the way it is now but it changed. Too weird. Any thoughts?
. . . David
Screenshot 2022-02-06 at 9.49.53 AM.jpeg

This is now happening to me as well. Model 3 with less than 1200 miles on it. First time was fixed by pushing the update by LTE from service team remotely. Now another software update is available and it happened again last night... Eats 25 miles of range per day and turns on the heat full blast ( HI ) at 1am.

Update: Tesla service says that 12 devices were logged into my account. They force logged them out, leaving 3 devices (still 1 more than should be). I changed my account password, and now this problem is happening about 3-4 times PER DAY... at 25 miles of range hit per occurrence, this is completely unsustainable.

And there is no software update available this time, Tesla pushed all of them via LTE. This is an incredibly frustrating and costly problem. If this continues, I'm going to enact my state's Lemon Laws and take the thing back for a full refund. Really disappointing to see such a great company go so far down hill since I had my 2017 S

Surely they must be able to identify these 12 "devices", i.e. where they're coming from and what they are identifying themselves as? Otherwise they're basically saying that potentially 11 entities have illegitimate administrative access to your vehicle?

As I understand it, and I might be wrong, but there was talk that changing your account password not necessarily invalidating access tokens.. perhaps that is what is happening here. Unfortunately there's no way I know of actually disabling LTE access to your car, so if these entities are making it wake up then it will continue, even without WiFi access.

It would be interesting to find out what happens with your car if you parked it somewhere where there was no mobile coverage, e.g. an underground car park. I don't know how practical that would be for you, but it would be interesting and possibly helpful to discover whether the car is waking up of its own volition, or because it's being told to wake up by something.

Changing the password will stop them, won't it? (Well, unless they are from Tesla HQ for some reason.
I thought that too, and in my experience it does, but at the same time I am very selective about the apps I use (just TeslaMate)

There is this too...

Perhaps the token invalidation is a bit unreliable? I dunno, I'm out of ideas.

Reactions: WannabeOwner