Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issue with Gateway/Batteries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone experience this?

App is showing my home is consuming 45kw at all times. This just started Saturday night. It made my batteries start discharging at 10kw. Luckily I noticed it quickly and was able to turn them off.

So far I’ve reset the gateway but that didn’t fix it. Haven’t done a hard reset of the whole system yet. Everything else is working properly. Just can’t use the batteries now since they think they house is consuming high power.

I’ve called Tesla powerwall support and it has been escalated to another department. But was told it’s a 3-4week turnaround currently.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
Mitch
6485858C-ADFF-468C-B341-D791DF824CDF.jpeg
D4316C3E-1738-4E2D-8263-E8C73C128ED0.png
16BC25B3-E34E-4ACB-B5B9-10362EB0FB14.png

Never seen anyone post anything like that. You should power cycle the system. If you havent done anything at all (like no poking around in installer menus, etc), and power cycling it doesnt fix it, thats a large enough number that I would get on the phone with Tesla powerwall support and not hang up till someone could tell me what they saw it doing.

Reactions: jhn_ and BGbreeder
Never seen anyone post anything like that. You should power cycle the system. If you havent done anything at all (like no poking around in installer menus, etc), and power cycling it doesnt fix it, thats a large enough number that I would get on the phone with Tesla powerwall support and not hang up till someone could tell me what they saw it doing.
Tesla is seeing the same thing. That’s why is been escalated up the chain. But waiting 3-4 weeks is ridiculous.

The So Cal Edison meter is showing the appropriate energy being consumed. Along with their website showing the accurate power usages.

The OP mentions:

So far I’ve reset the gateway but that didn’t fix it. Haven’t done a hard reset of the whole system yet

I know what "I" would mean by making those statements, but its not clear to me what the OP means by them. What is ment by "Reset the gateway"? For my system, which has a gateway version 1, with a little reset hole in it (that is like resetting a home router), "reset" means poking something in that hole and resetting the gateway.

I have no idea what "hard reset of the whole system" is, though. I dont personally consider a power cycle a "hard reset", I consider it a power cycle, as no settings need to be re input. To me a "hard reset" implies a "Reset" such that "the equipment" would need to be set back up again. I am not aware of any sort of "hard reset" that we as end user owners can do, but I also dont poke around in the installer menus.

There isnt any harm in power cycling equipment though, and its something that Tesla would have told the OP to do, most likely, but its not mentioned as being done (unless "reset the gateway" is a power cycle, but that does not imply a full power cycle of gateway, powerwalls, breakers etc.

Thus my question, what exactly is ment by the OP in "hard reset" and what exactly have they tried? Did they do anything prior to this at all, or did it just start happening out of the blue?

It looks to me like some CT values are getting doubled or something, but that isnt possible unless someone is poking around in installer menus.

By hard reset I meant a power cycle. I did the small reset button on the gateway and nothing changed. Haven’t done a power cycle yet because I want the Tesla/Solar provider engineers to see it first and advise. Maybe it’s something they can fix from their end? My guess is the CT has failed? I haven’t touched any on the configurations. It happened at 9:55pm, so I doubt anyone one was messing with it on another end?

By hard reset I meant a power cycle. I did the small reset button on the gateway and nothing changed. Haven’t done a power cycle yet because I want the Tesla/Solar provider engineers to see it first and advise.

I dont understand this train of thought myself, since the first thing Tesla (or almost any technician) will advise is power cycling equipment to see if it returns to normal operation ("have you turned it off and on again?"). Its strange to me that Tesla would escalate this to L2 before confirming that you in fact tried a full power cycle.

Thats what I would start with, instead of waiting for L2 review (which I am fairly sure 2-3 weeks is optimistic for).

Reactions: Matt-FL