Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issue with rear window when defroster on

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do not see how the rear window defroster could “distort” the glass. The shape of the glass is not being altered by the heat produced by the defroster wires.

That is a reasonable explanation.

To those who think that replacing the rear window glass will effect this issue: I think that is very unlikely.

If you can’t see out the rear window because of moisture on the glass, turn on the defroster to get rid of the water and then turn it off as soon as it’s done it’s job. Don’t leave it on.
I know you guys don't really deal with this stuff in California but the moisture on the glass does come back. When you are breathing in the car and it's cold outside, the moisture in your breath collects on the window.
Learning to live with this shouldn't even be part of the conversation. This simply should not be happening, period. I've never been in any other car that does this. From my first car (a 1986 Honda CRX) to my 2008 Acura TL or my 2014 Hyundai Sonata, i've never seen anything like this.

If it is the heat from the wires in the window causing an optical illusion and distorting my view, then turn the fricking heat down. This should be a simple software update for Tesla to do.

Reactions: Cowby
I observed this distortion on mine when turning it on in the middle of the afternoon. I'll post pics in a bit.

distorted.jpg

nondistorted.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Cowby and Koflach
Noticed some distortion a few days ago when I used the rear window defroster but I thought it was due to the remaining moisture on the window. This morning the window was completely dry and free of distortion. I turned on the defroster and immediately saw straight lines being broken up and twisted, exactly like the first photo above.

I had a ranger out today for something else so I asked about this. It took a fair bit of explaining and demonstration for him to see what I was talking about (which I found odd - it's so distorted!) He took some pics and a video and promised to find out what engineering says about it.

Unrelated to the window, I'm very impressed with ranger service and the two individuals I've interacted with.

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby and alseTrick
Really! They can’t order the original one in?
More importantly did they fix the issue?

I was told if someone with the old glass needs replaced, it will be with the new part., no more old stock.

Also, my glass (the newer part number) still distorts when the defroster has been on for a few minutes. I am not going to mention it right now unless it becomes a real safety issue for me. Not sure if this is an issue with other auto manufacturers as well, my other cars rear glass does not appear to distort with the defroster on.

• Informative
I just noticed this over the weekend as the temperatures int he mountains started to drop. Of course I just had my car in for service last week and not in a rush to go back.
Does a replacement fix the issue? The rear visibility isn't great on a good day and this might be a problem for winter.

I too noticed this using the rear defroster recently. This is very abnormal as no other cars I've owned had this distortion problem. Took it to SC yesterday. I'll either do an executive escalation and/or report to NHSTA as a safety recall if they don't replace the glass. This is definitely a safety issue as not being able to see out of the rear windshield is unacceptable. Below is a excerpt of the repair order:

model 3 defrost defect response.png

For reference....my vin is 192xxx

Last edited:
Reactions: Koflach
Hmm, interesting to know that Tesla acknowledges the issue. It can get pretty distorted. When I look at a straight line object like a light pole, it will look like a zig-zag. When you combine that with the rear view camera taking 5 secs to display at times and other times staying black, it definitely is annoying at best, a little dangerous at worst.

Reactions: Koflach and Cowby
I really wish more people were upset about this as yes, Tesla at the local level has acknowledged the issue but they haven't been able to do anything to fix it. I guess with the vast majority of the cars being sold into California thus far I can't be overly surprised as I can't imagine a lot of people there needing it. Maybe with them getting shipped to Europe there will be more outcry about it once people discover the issue.

I do not see how the rear window defroster could “distort” the glass. The shape of the glass is not being altered by the heat produced by the defroster wires.
Hmmm. This is known as thermal distortion and the shape of the glass IS being affected by the temperature gradient. The distortion clearly happens AT the heater lines. I have moderate distortion with no heat (likely a result of imperfect manufacturing process of layering the heater element) and I get significant distortion when I turn it on. But I am not willing to give up my iridescent orange glow to fix it (which doesn't even sound like fixes it!) This phenomenon is probably exasperated by the extreme angle that we are looking through the glass (NOT normal to it)
IMG_20190202_163321_Bokeh.jpg

Reactions: super20g