Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issues with an inventory P3D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok thanks. Yeah, that is what I was leaning towards. But, if the car was in an accident, or if other issues comes up, I really don't want to have to deal with it.

On the one hand, even new cars are repainted sometimes (before people buy them), especially ones that are shipped from Europe. I am most familiar with BMWs as I have said tefore, and they have a full vehicle processing center (VPC) to fix / repair cars or to install options that are sometimes not factory installed.

Its near the port when the cars come off the boat, and the repairs made by the BMW VPC are virtually indistinguishable from new cars without damage.

Tesla is not as good as that, so its possible that it was in an accident, its possible that it was just repainted, etc.

It sounds like you only got 980 off, for a car with 1k miles, which is basically a small mileage adjustment. You are already here on the forums saying "ugh" and "what do I do???" so it bothers you. Im going to guess just from reading the first post, that its going to bother you every time you see the car, even if its fixed by tesla... since you are already wondering if it was ever in an accident, and you will ... never ... know.

If I felt like you did, I would probably return it, but unless you paid cash thats a huge headache even if its possible.

EDIT: I should have read to the end of the thread to see that new return policy, and the fact that some had already said the same thing I just said above.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bill Foster
Is that even legal?

Absolutely. There is a certain amount of damage that is allowed without having to disclose it to the buyer for a new car. I forget how much it is, but its waaay more than a bumper. I seem to remember a number like 10-15% of value.

I bet @Ckanderson might know. I think he has a background in the car business from reading his posts. Any idea @Ckanderson ?

Reactions: Bill Foster
I bought it at the discounted price because I wanted a white one and it was the only one in the country. I don’t want to wait a month for a new one. So I guess, I kinda get what I get, right? And yes I paid mostly cash so waiting 4-6 weeks sucks, but not as much as the policy they put in place the day I ordered the car. So the whole situation is shitty, and Tesla just says here ya go. Take it or leave it. If they had said sorry about this we will fix it and say, give you Home link, I probably would have just rolled with it. But after putting in 3 1/2 hours of my day and having to point out an issue that their qc didn’t catch, pisses me off.

Absolutely. There is a certain amount of damage that is allowed without having to disclose it to the buyer for a new car. I forget how much it is, but its waaay more than a bumper. I seem to remember a number like 10-15% of value.

I bet @Ckanderson might know. I think he has a background in the car business from reading his posts. Any idea @Ckanderson ?
I don’t know the number or percentage, but yea, vehicle paint repairs are super common. Far more then most realize.

I talked to a painter for Nissan and he said like 25% get some small repair before even leaving the plant.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
On the one hand, even new cars are repainted sometimes (before people buy them), especially ones that are shipped from Europe. I am most familiar with BMWs as I have said tefore, and they have a full vehicle processing center (VPC) to fix / repair cars or to install options that are sometimes not factory installed.

Its near the port when the cars come off the boat, and the repairs made by the BMW VPC are virtually indistinguishable from new cars without damage.

Tesla is not as good as that, so its possible that it was in an accident, its possible that it was just repainted, etc.

It sounds like you only got 980 off, for a car with 1k miles, which is basically a small mileage adjustment. You are already here on the forums saying "ugh" and "what do I do???" so it bothers you. Im going to guess just from reading the first post, that its going to bother you every time you see the car, even if its fixed by tesla... since you are already wondering if it was ever in an accident, and you will ... never ... know.

If I felt like you did, I would probably return it, but unless you paid cash thats a huge headache even if its possible.

EDIT: I should have read to the end of the thread to see that new return policy, and the fact that some had already said the same thing I just said above.
I worked for Benz, and same thing, the VPC handles all those. The service manager was able to look up either what was reshot or a dollar amount, I can’t remember what. I know I didn’t have access to that.

drive the car and enjoy it. Remember at the end of the day it’s plastic/metal/paint and wires. There are thousands and they are making more. Nothing is perfect.

Reactions: jjrandorin
I worked for Benz, and same thing, the VPC handles all those. The service manager was able to look up either what was reshot or a dollar amount, I can’t remember what. I know I didn’t have access to that.

drive the car and enjoy it. Remember at the end of the day it’s plastic/metal/paint and wires. There are thousands and they are making more. Nothing is perfect.

Thanks, yeah I think I’m going to have them fix it and then just do that. I think their overall “idgaf” attitude really rubs me the wrong way and is something they are going to have to change when more competition comes in the market. Thanks for the input!

I bought a P3D in June that had a scratch in the front bumper down to the plastic (new car, happened during transport). Found at delivery. The popped the bumper cover off and replaced with one they had on standby in an hour. I suspect the new bumper cover had some type of blemish that was corrected, but looks fine to me. I doubt they will get rid of my original bumper cover which will also need to be painted... and probably put on someone else's car.

My advice, just drive the car and enjoy it. It will eventually get rock chips and scratches no matter what you do.