Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issues with Model Y wireless phone charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One thing to keep in mind that since the Y AC isn't the strongest it gets hot for the phone while wireless charging. I noticed that in the past 2 months, my phone gets very hot and wireless charging speed either slow down, or stopped. I had no issue charging my Pixel 4 XL when the weather was cooler.

I have a Zover wallet case for my iPhone SE, that has the removable inner case held to the wallet by magnets in the corners ... I am finding it very hard to turn charging on without pulling the phone out of the inner case.

From your experience is my issue the corner magnets in the case or is it the thickness/geometry?

Thanks. John

** Update ... looks like it's my Zover detachable wallet case (see photo) ... with the inner case on the phone it won't charge in the Y or on a cheap desktop wireless charging unit ... but with a non-magnetic case, or with no case, it charges fine in either place. I didn't have this issue with the Zover case for my old iPhone X ... but the iPhone SE case has a problem. Time to contact Zover ...

Attachments

• IMG_1099.jpeg
    IMG_1099.jpeg
    807.8 KB · Views: 326
Has Jeda given you any idea when they'll be shipping to you? I'm interested to hear if it solves the issue for you. I'll definitely buy one if it does.

Hi there!

Thank you for your email and for getting in touch with us. We sincerely appreciate your order

At the moment there is a 2-3 week timeframe for all orders (12-14 business days.)

Before your order is set to ship we will send out an email with information on it. Once it does, you will receive another email with tracking information.

Please make sure we are not marked as spam so you can receive these!

Thank you for your patience, and please let us know if you have any other questions

This is what I got today from JEDA.

** Update ... looks like it's my Zover detachable wallet case (see photo) ... with the inner case on the phone it won't charge in the Y or on a cheap desktop wireless charging unit ... but with a non-magnetic case, or with no case, it charges fine in either place. I didn't have this issue with the Zover case for my old iPhone X ... but the iPhone SE case has a problem. Time to contact Zover ...

** 2nd UPDATE ** Fyi I got bored yesterday, and decided to try to fix this phone case myself. I detected six magnets on the inner case, managed to rip out the middle two (they are rectangular), and now the phone charges in the Y :)

IMG_1100.jpeg

and ... the four remaining magnets are more than enough to hold the phone in the outer wallet.

Spoke with the Tesla Moblie tech today as he was installing my Homelink, he said that the Tesla Wireless Charger was weak, you have to remove the phone case for it to charge, I will buy another Testap.

Fred
Did the Taptes work with the Iphone XS Max? I have the same problem and was looking into swapping wireless chargers. I can charge my phone in my house with the case on a wireless charger, so it seems like the design of the factor charger is causing the problem.

Did the Taptes work with the Iphone XS Max? I have the same problem and was looking into swapping wireless chargers. I can charge my phone in my house with the case on a wireless charger, so it seems like the design of the factor charger is causing the problem.
My Taptes wireless charger is on the way.
There isn't anything wrong with the unit but rather i think it is a design flaw that it won't work with some phone with case.
So yeah, i think it is a design flaw.

Yes no issues with Taptes, there’s no lip to go under and the phone just sits on top. The Taptes is in my Model 3.

As far as the Model Y wireless charger, the solution with my XS Max while in the Rokform case is to pivot the phone at a 45 degrees angle will inserting it under the Lip and laying it down. The works well now. If you have the Rokform case then remove the center magnet so that the case sits flush against the pad.

I also ordered the Jeda lip spacer, will see how well that will work with these phones.

Fred

Last edited:
I have an Iphone XS max with a phone case that holds my credit cards. I could not get the phone to charge with the standard wireless charging platform in the Y without removing the case, however my husband's iphone in a regular case would charge. I purchased the Taptes for Model 3 because there isn't one for the Y and my Iphone XS Max will charge now in the case. The Taptes comes with two USB interfaces for power and the Y has 1 USB A and 1 USB C, so I had to buy another devices with multiple ports or a converter from A to C. I bought the hub instead any converters because I wanted both the USB A and C ports in the Telsa to power the Taptes device. All in, I ended up spending $150 to fix the problem.

Solved the problem with my phone continually slipping down off the charger into the front center console with this spacer from Jeda, and for only $15. Thanks for the recommendation @Georgia_Y!

Base of the Model Y phone dock is too thin to keep the phone from sliding down into the center console.
IMG_1543.jpeg

Remove the base by sliding it off the phone dock (to the left), attach the Jeda spacer to rear side of the base, and slide back on the spacer/base assembly.
IMG_1546.jpeg

iPhone 11 Pro with standard (Apple) case now fits under lip with not much to spare.
IMG_1548.jpeg

Cheap, easy and effective solution. The spacer isn’t noticeable from the front.
IMG_1550.jpeg

This charger seems to be weak and I may have to replace it with a Taptes Charger. The Taptes Charger works well in the Model 3 and my phones.

Currently using a IPhone 10 XS Max with the Rokform case without the magnets. Doesn’t want to charge unless I remove the case cover.

Anyone else have these same issues, let me know if Tesla had to replace some of these.

Thanks

Fred

I'm having the same problem with my Samsung Galaxy S9+ I'm currently using Urban Armor Gear Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus [6.2-inch Screen] Plasma Feather-Light Rugged [Ice] Military Drop Tested Phone Case which works fine with the Samsung wireless charger, but not so with the Model Y charging pad. I just ordered this case that states you don't have to remove it for wireless charging and the case seems to be a lot thinner than the one I currently have.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WSSFKD6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Recently got my MY. I have iPhone 11 Pro Max with only a bumper case on the phone (completely open back). I haven't been able to get the phone to charge in any position. I have AirPods as well. If I place them on the right-hand side of charger, they will start charging (sometimes). Do I have a faulty charger?

Recently got my MY. I have iPhone 11 Pro Max with only a bumper case on the phone (completely open back). I haven't been able to get the phone to charge in any position. I have AirPods as well. If I place them on the right-hand side of charger, they will start charging (sometimes). Do I have a faulty charger?

Probably not faulty. It has to do with where the magnets for charging are placed and where your phone's receiver is. The case is either positioning it too far vertically or adding too much resistance between the phone and the pad (via the case, but given that it's open back, that's probably not the issue) for it to charge wirelessly. You can confirm this by removing the case and seeing if that helps. Since it's still charging your airpods, I doubt it's the pad. You could also remove the pad from the car, plug it into a different USB-C outlet to power it, and then test positioning your phone and airpods to see if it's a charger issue or positioning issue.

Reactions: richmond-MY
I have the same phone but an Apple leather case. When I had my M3 with a Nomad charger I never had issues charging my phone but the OEM MY charger is much more temperamental. If I have it positioned just right it will charge with the case on, but very slowly. My AirPod Pros don't charge at all. If Nomad offered a MY charger I'd probably just order it but will just deal with it for now I guess...

Reactions: richmond-MY