Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issues with Model Y wireless phone charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today my iPhone 11 Pro Max updated to iOS 14.2 public beta 3.

I always put my phone on the wireless charger when I’m driving as it’s just a handy place to store it. I’ve never been able to get it charge there with a bumper case on. Suddenly now tonight, it starts charging wirelessly every time I place it in the dock. Literally it works every. Damn. Time.

I’ve literally spent hours trying to get the wireless charger to work prior to tonight. I’m curious if I’m losing my mind or if someone else is seeing this?

MY is on 2020.40.3

My issue is a slight variation of what is mentioned here. The iPhone charger in my MY works intermittently. For example, yesterday went for a drive and it wouldn't charge my son or my wife's iPhone XS, with the case on or the case off, nor would it charge my iPhone 12 Pro with a thin case. Tried several times with repositioning the phones, but no luck. Then on the way home, the phones charged with no problems. It seems like there is some kind of software issue that is turning off the charger at times. Any ideas?

My issue is a slight variation of what is mentioned here. The iPhone charger in my MY works intermittently. For example, yesterday went for a drive and it wouldn't charge my son or my wife's iPhone XS, with the case on or the case off, nor would it charge my iPhone 12 Pro with a thin case. Tried several times with repositioning the phones, but no luck. Then on the way home, the phones charged with no problems. It seems like there is some kind of software issue that is turning off the charger at times. Any ideas?

I experienced something similar. I bought an aftermarket charging pad and it seems to work randomly. I assumed it was the charger, but now I'm thinking it may be my Model Y given your post. Not sure how to test that though.

Thanks for the info. This saved me $100. I took a dremel like tool and cut the bottom of the existing plastic stop for the phone. I slid it off, modified it so the bottom plate was gone and but it back in. I have a Galaxy S21 ultra (very large) and it now rests much lower and the charging pad finally works. Thanks a lot!