Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issues with my Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think you need a cutoff on a Tesla as the 12V battery is continuously topped-off by the main battery
I know. But in OP's case, it is apparently not working. It is also not a good idea to deep cycle 12V battery many times due to always-on devices.

I don't know for sure, but I heard while the car is turned off and in Energy Saving mode, it doesn't top up 12V. If that is true, you need the cutoff device.

I know. But in OP's case, it is apparently not working. It is also not a good idea to deep cycle 12V battery many times due to always-on devices.

I don't know for sure, but I heard while the car is turned off and in Energy Saving mode, it doesn't top up 12V. If that is true, you need the cutoff device.

I have seen many wire it directly without an issue and actually had issues with power management devices such as the power magic pro. But I don't know for sure, gonna have a dashcam installed on my X next week

Reactions: hiroshiy
So here we go again, I needed a tow on Friday from the Supercharger. Car was charging for about 5 mins when the 12Volt System voltage dropped from 13.3 to 12.3Volt and charging interrupted. Called the service center and they sent over their Tow truck. Wile waiting I watched the Voltage go down to 11.9 Volt. When the Service guy arrived and I showed him the alarms and he continued checking the car for dings and scratches. When he was done he sat in the car ready to put it in tow mode and the messages disappeared again and the car started. That was about 1.5 hrs after the issue occured. Good thing so he was able to drive it on the truck.

First talk to service center on Staurday. They haven't looked at the car yet but from previous logs I was told that they belive it's the charger and want to start swapping it. This time the issue occured at the Supercharger which I always thought bypass the charger. In any case hoping to hear something back today or tomorrow.

Being stuck at the supercharger I was able to check out the MX and the Facelifted S as well :)

Last edited:
So here we go again, I needed a tow on Friday from the Supercharger. Car was charging for about 5 mins when the 12Volt System voltage dropped from 13.3 to 12.3Volt and charging interrupted. Called the service center and they sent over their Tow truck. Wile waiting I watched the Voltage go down to 11.9 Volt. When the Service guy arrived and I showed him the alarms and he continued checking the car for dings and scratches. When he was done he sat in the car ready to put it in tow mode and the messages disappeared again and the car started. That was about 1.5 hrs after the issue occured. Good thing so he was able to drive it on the truck.

First talk to service center on Staurday. They haven't looked at the car yet but from previous logs I was told that they belive it's the charger and want to start swapping it. This time the issue occured at the Supercharger which I always thought bypass the charger. In any case hoping to hear something back today or tomorrow.

Being stuck at the supercharger I was able to check out the MX and the Facelifted S as well :)

I am worried that my Blackvue dashcam can cause that 12V issue on my MX if I hardwire it to the battery. Doesn't the DC to DC converter regulate the charge on the battery though

I am worried that my Blackvue dashcam can cause that 12V issue on my MX if I hardwire it to the battery. Doesn't the DC to DC converter regulate the charge on the battery though

I highly doubt that this is an issue caused by the dashcam, and seriously if it were caused by the dashcam than that would be very poor engineering on the Tesla side. On the other side: Their whole 12Volt system seems to be very poor engineering considering all the issues I find online about it.

The service center has never said anything pointing towards the dashcam either besides that the dashcam is not powered when the car is off. Also I had the Dashcam unplugged for a few days and the 12 Volt issue would still occur frequently.

I highly doubt that this is an issue caused by the dashcam, and seriously if it were caused by the dashcam than that would be very poor engineering on the Tesla side. On the other side: Their whole 12Volt system seems to be very poor engineering considering all the issues I find online about it.

The service center has never said anything pointing towards the dashcam either besides that the dashcam is not powered when the car is off. Also I had the Dashcam unplugged for a few days and the 12 Volt issue would still occur frequently.

Perhaps the MX has a stronger 12V system because of the electric doors and FWD

Perhaps the MX has a stronger 12V system because of the electric doors and FWD
Time will tell if it's better on the X.

The whole charge and discharge cycling of the 12 Volt batterie and it only lasting less then 2 years on average is less than acceptable. It seems like it is to Tesla though. My car is a 2014 and they have replaced the 12Volt Batterie 4 times already and now finally starting to accept the fact that my intermittend failures are not caused by the 12V battery and now the car is out of warranty. I hope they will at least acknowledge the fact that they failed in fixing the problem while the car was still under warranty and pick up the tap to fix it now.

Time will tell if it's better on the X.

The whole charge and discharge cycling of the 12 Volt batterie and it only lasting less then 2 years on average is less than acceptable. It seems like it is to Tesla though. My car is a 2014 and they have replaced the 12Volt Batterie 4 times already and now finally starting to accept the fact that my intermittend failures are not caused by the 12V battery and now the car is out of warranty. I hope they will at least acknowledge the fact that they failed in fixing the problem while the car was still under warranty and pick up the tap to fix it now.
If you have your paperwork and are persistent they will fix it.

Do you think it would be safe for me the wire my Blackvue to the Tesla with out a power management solution? Or should I use something like the power magic pro. I was planning to wire directly to the constant power source but now I am thinking otherwise

Do you think it would be safe for me the wire my Blackvue to the Tesla with out a power management solution? Or should I use something like the power magic pro. I was planning to wire directly to the constant power source but now I am thinking otherwise

I wouldn't think it causes an issue and if it does you can change it then. My problem has nothing to do with the dashcam.

From invoice:

"Concern: Customer states: Vehicle unresponsive and will not start. 12v battery alert
illuminated.

Pay Type: Warranty

Corrections: Vehicle Alerts General Diagnosis

Customer stated vehicle unresponsive. Reviewed log and found HVIL circuit out of
specification. Test system and found high resistance in HVBJ switch. Recommend HVJB
replacement.

Corrections: HV Junction Box - Cover - 2nd Generation

Removed and replaced HVJB for rear wheel drive. Verified Vehicle operating/ charging as
design.

Part Quantity

3 PHASE HIGH VOLTAGE JUNCTION BOX
ASSEMBLY - NORTH AMERICA (1021154-
02-J)

Parts Replaced or Added

Corrections: Perform Validation Test Drive
Performed validation test drive to ensure vehicle operating as design."

So quick update. My vehicle has been in the shop for a whole week now (again) and they weren't able to find what the problem was. My advice to check out the juction box contactor wasn't been taken serious initially as I was told my car was different then Mike's. However got a call last night from the service manager telling me that tey took out the whole HVJB and placed it in the vehicle that he is driving to see if the issue would now occur in his car. They are definetley trying hard, he said that every technician in the shop had their hands on it and that they have never seen anything like it. I am just hoping now that the isssue follows with the junction box - fingers crossed.

So quick update. My vehicle has been in the shop for a whole week now (again) and they weren't able to find what the problem was. My advice to check out the juction box contactor wasn't been taken serious initially as I was told my car was different then Mike's. However got a call last night from the service manager telling me that tey took out the whole HVJB and placed it in the vehicle that he is driving to see if the issue would now occur in his car. They are definetley trying hard, he said that every technician in the shop had their hands on it and that they have never seen anything like it. I am just hoping now that the isssue follows with the junction box - fingers crossed.
Are you using Range mode on or off usually? I think I've seen some comments in TMC that 12V battery is not replenished with range mode on while the car is off.

Edit:range mode off -> on

Last edited:
tried both - what I don't get is the last time this happened I was sitting in the car at the supercharger
the car was Supercharging and the 12 Volt System was at 13.1 Volts. And all the sudden the voltage just dived to 11.9 and the charging interrupted and the car showed the 12 Volt message and was unable to drive.

Reactions: hiroshiy
I am somewhat disappointed as it almost feels like I have bought a lemon.

My 12V Battery has been replaced about 8 months ago. Then two months ago my car send me an charging interrupted message via the phone app. When I checked the car showed 12V battery issue, car needs service and car may not restart message. And sure thing car didn't start. After being on the phone with service for an hour the car was placed in tow mode and towed to the service center the next morning. Since my car is out of warranty I had to pay for the tow. When the car arrived at the service center they said it started up just fine and everything was normal - lovely. After trying to find out what the issue was and not finding any problems the service center replaced the 12V battery again and returned the vehicle to me after 5 days as they couldn't find anything wrong (they did treat me wekk and did not charge me for any work done). 61 days later which was yesterday I am getting the same message again. When checked on the vehicle while charging the same car needs service and 12 Volt Battery issues appeared on the screen again. After calling service they did a couple reebots and wanted to initiate a tow again. I said no I don't want to tow now and explained what happened two months ago. I was going to talk to my service center this morning. Too my surprise the car started up just fine 2 hrs after the incident last night and I drove it to work this morning with no issues. I am getting scared that the issue will eventually get me stranded somewhere and that I paid a lot of money for such an unreliable vehicle. Jump starting did not work so there is nothing I can do other than to look at all the fancy computer screens popping up with alerts.

Has anyone had any similar issues ? My car has now 75k miles and is a modelyear 2014.

70 k miles and this is only problem that is great for any car. I remember my audi8 having leaky roof after bringing it in service asked me why I took the sun roof seal out..I tnen asked when did they forget to put it in. Then my drivers side window fell off while I was driving. They refused to repair under warrantee but didn't charge me for the labor since they had to take door apart to replace window motor that broke under warrantee. Then towed when wouldn't,t start. I traded in that day

70 k miles and this is only problem that is great for any car. I remember my audi8 having leaky roof after bringing it in service asked me why I took the sun roof seal out..I tnen asked when did they forget to put it in. Then my drivers side window fell off while I was driving. They refused to repair under warrantee but didn't charge me for the labor since they had to take door apart to replace window motor that broke under warrantee. Then towed when wouldn't,t start. I traded in that day

I had a KIA and drove it 120k miles with not a single problems.
Besides I don't have a problem with the car having an issue. I am having a problem that they don't know what is the issue. I received the car back last time stating there is no problem with it. My car is extremely unreliable in this state and I can't take it on a road trip for that reason.