Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issues with Tesla Solar Panel Activation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had that same thought, but the status light wouldn’t be solid green if the switch was off.

Is it? I can't remember. I thought maybe that just keeps the inverter from producing.

Looks like the green light will flash if the on/off switch is 'off' (aka '0'); Maybe he mistook flashing for solid? Worth checking...

Screen Shot 2020-10-19 at 9.02.35 PM.png

How big is your solar system? And do you know how much power you typically use in a day? Your power bill should tell you. Or you could look at the total usage for the month and divide it by 30.

My system size is 8.16 kW and my estimated annual production is 13,763 kWh. I use on average 20-25 kWh per day and I got a larger system in anticipation of getting a Tesla EV car.

The reason why I don't think my system is on is because 1) my energy usage from PGE has increased since PTO 2) No production shown on Tesla app and from Tesla's side and 3) I don't hear the humming noise that I heard when it was initially turned on. Attached is a picture of my energy usage since PTO.

Attachments

• Tesla Solar.jpg
    Tesla Solar.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 39
Again, the light would be flashing if it wasn’t paired with any optimizers. But maybe it’s just paired with one or two optimizers? Would this tell it to try to repair with any new optimizers?

Yes, It's basically a reset of the optimizers.

I agree it's unlikely to solve the problem but I figured it only takes ~5 seconds and can't hurt anything.

It's probably something super-simple. I helped a friend 'repair' their PV system that had been down for over a month. A disgruntled electrician that had to drive 5 hours to replace a fuse had swapped the + and -.

It's probably something super-simple. I helped a friend 'repair' their PV system that had been down for over a month. A disgruntled electrician that had to drive 5 hours to replace a fuse had swapped the + and -.

Haha, I work in IT and a number of years ago I got an emergency call from one of our clients because their server wouldn’t stop beeping and they couldn’t figure out why. I took an hour round trip only to discover that the server was beeping because someone had set a book on it’s keyboard.

Haha, I work in IT and a number of years ago I got an emergency call from one of our clients because their server wouldn’t stop beeping and they couldn’t figure out why. I took an hour round trip only to discover that the server was beeping because someone had set a book on it’s keyboard.

I hope you billed by the hour and for travel time.

You can also try to move the switch to the P position for less than 5 seconds and then release it. That will change the light status to show a crude indication of how much power it is producing as shown below:

947A566A-E863-4368-AF68-A51A4BDC7953.jpeg

If you try on a bright sunny afternoon I would expect to see both the green and blue lights come on. If you only see the green light on a bight sunny afternoon then something is definitely wrong.

Yes, It's basically a reset of the optimizers.

I agree it's unlikely to solve the problem but I figured it only takes ~5 seconds and can't hurt anything.

I did a reset of the optimizers and it was cycling between solid green/red (which I don't see what the status is from the color legend) and solid green to solid green/blue. It would cycle between those colors every minute or so.

I also tried to switch to the P for less than 5 seconds and it turned solid green/blue.

I did a reset of the optimizers and it was cycling between solid green/red (which I don't see what the status is from the color legend) and solid green to solid green/blue. It would cycle between those colors every minute or so.

I also tried to switch to the P for less than 5 seconds and it turned solid green/blue.

The solid green/blue from the second test absolutely says that the inverter is producing a significant amount of power. I don’t understand why that wouldn’t be reflected in your utility power usage. Unless maybe it was a combination of things and all your optimizers hadn’t been paired. Keep an eye on your utility usage this afternoon and tomorrow and see if it goes down now.

Is this the first time you've attempted this?

Yes this was the first time I held the red button to P for longer than 5 seconds. I tried power cycling off the inverter multiple times when I was on the phone with Tesla's tech support but that didn't work.

Here's my energy reading from the SmartMeter. That's odd that I only used 2 kWh for 4.5 hours but when I log into the PGE website it shows I'm using 20-25 kWh per day from the grid.

12:00PM - 2,457 kWh
2:00PM - 2,458 kWh
4:30PM - 2,459 kWh

• Informative
Reactions: nwdiver
Yes this was the first time I held the red button to P for longer than 5 seconds. I tried power cycling off the inverter multiple times when I was on the phone with Tesla's tech support but that didn't work.

Here's my energy reading from the SmartMeter. That's odd that I only used 2 kWh for 4.5 hours but when I log into the PGE website it shows I'm using 20-25 kWh per day from the grid.

12:00PM - 2,457 kWh
2:00PM - 2,458 kWh
4:30PM - 2,459 kWh

Only pulling 2kWh from the grid from 12:00-4:30 certainly looks like your solar system is working and providing most of your power.

I had that same thought, but the status light wouldn’t be solid green if the switch was off.

Perhaps it's cycling on and off since I see the status lights cycle from solid green/blue to solid green/red every minute? I have 24 panels and I was estimated to produce 37 kWh a day or 13,763 per year.

On PGE's website, it says I'm pulling on average 22 kWh from the grid per day which is the same prior to solar panel installation.

Perhaps it's cycling on and off since I see the status lights cycle from solid green/blue to solid green/red every minute? I have 24 panels and I was estimated to produce 37 kWh a day or 13,763 per year.

On PGE's website, it says I'm pulling on average 22 kWh from the grid per day which is the same prior to solar panel installation.

13,763 a year is not 37kWh a day, but I am assuming you are aware of that (you cant divide yearly production by days to get estimated daily production).

Perhaps it's cycling on and off since I see the status lights cycle from solid green/blue to solid green/red every minute?

Oh, you didn’t mention the red light before, or if you did I missed it. That’s not a good sign. The red light should never be on and that indicates that there is some sort of error. I think at this point you’re probably just going to need to wait for Tesla to come to figure out what’s going on.

@LareBear Have you tried downloading the mySolarEdge app to your phone and scanning the QR code on the side of your SE7600H for a direct connection to the inverter? This will tell you what the production is as well as any error codes.

I believe that you need to log in with a solaredge account before you can do that with the mysolaredge app. However, you can use the setapp app without an account to connect directly to the inverter and get some information.