Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It took a week and just the right light...blue paint issue found.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Super disappointed, but unfortunately this is the first time I'm seeing this issue, and I've been all over this car for a week. I have many pics where this issue in varying types of lighting/angles didn't show up, but now all I can do is look at it. It is evident to me that this is a missed spot in the base blue paint, and is not a swirl mark or issue with the clear coat. Now that I'm a week into ownership, and I didn't see this to report in the first 72 hours or 100 miles, and I basically on my own at this point to have to fix what is clearly a paint mistake made by the factory? I find this incredibly unfair as it is clearly a defect in manufacturing. My 7 day return period just expired at 12:30PM ET today, so that is also not an option. Just so disappointed because all the other paint defects/chips/dirt/mismatches, etc. I don't have on my build. Any thoughts on recourse with Tesla on this issue? I have mobile service coming Monday to adjust the taillights and door trim, and to look at the indent in the windshield, but not sure if they are the right person to look at this issue.

Paint_issue1.jpg

Paint_issue2.jpg

If the sun hits my red MY at just the right angle (glancing), I can see overspray on my hood's clear coat. I can feel it as well. I figure it'll wear off eventually and if it bugs me, I can always clay or compound it.

Follow up - I was wrong, this isn't an issue with the paint. I found that it was an optical illusion caused by a combination of the light swirl marks (I didn't realize they were there until cleaning the spot better), and the way the vertical and horizontal surfaces focus the light onto that portion of the panel when the light is just the right brightness and angle. I thought it was deeper than the clearcoat because of how the illusion was making the paint look so light blue that it was missing. Since it seemed to be even on both sides, I started to think more deeply about this issue vs. overreacting given the "blue paint problems" posted by others, and found that I was not approaching this with the right troubleshooting steps. My bad...getting too obsessed at this point with finding little things. This forum has ruined me a bit, as with all the tens of cars I've had in my life, I've never looked this much for issues with any other car. I need to chill out and enjoy the car more, so I went out on a couple of trips today and put a smile on my face :)

• Love
Reactions: KRG21
Owners have a choice.
1. Obsessively look for problems. Then when you find them, make that the center of your life.
2. Treat your car like any other car. Begin to enjoy all that it offers and rejoyce in the goodness that is inherent in all Tesla.

Never saw a panel gap or paint imperfection hurt anyone.

• Disagree
Reactions: glide and Ciaopec
Owners have a choice.
1. Obsessively look for problems. Then when you find them, make that the center of your life.
2. Treat your car like any other car. Begin to enjoy all that it offers and rejoyce in the goodness that is inherent in all Tesla.

Never saw a panel gap or paint imperfection hurt anyone.

That's what I'm doing. If I look at the small scratch that the SC fixed up with touch up paint, it looks bad. When sealing (waxing) my MY yesterday, I didn't even notice it.

Driving it is wonderful. Having the interior drop from. 90 to 60 in just a couple of minutes from my app - sitting down in a cold car is great.