TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

I've been a stalker for over a year...now I am an owner as well

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by CurtGentry, Jan 9, 2015.

1. CurtGentry

CurtGentry Member

Last Friday my wife and I took off on a drive to Mundelein, Illinois. I had come very close over the past year to clicking the "Order" button to order a new Tesla Model S. When the Dual Motor option was announced, I immediately wanted to order one, but didn't. I had a 2008 BMW M3 Convertible which was a great car. I am not the greatest car salesman in the world, so my attempts to sell it were not very aggressive. I knew I'd lose a lot of equity in the car if I traded it in. My one visit to a Tesla Store in Oak Brook Illinois to find out what they would offer me on my car as a trade in was disheartening.

So, I continued playing around with the Model S configuration tool online and dreamed.

One day I thought to myself - I have an M3, but how often do I REALLY utilize the "M" Mode and go crazy? Rarely. I currently have a Rear Wheel Drive car. Do I need Dual Motors? No. Even in snow and ice I often notice myself being able to maneuver through the roads better than most people with front wheel drive.

I then started searching eBay and Autotrader just like I had when I decided I wanted an M3. I searched and searched and searched until I found what I thought was a good price on a great car. When I found it, I emailed the salesman. I didn't even give him a real phone number. I didn't want any pressure. I asked for a trade in value on my M3 and for some wiggle room on their price. I was shocked that they came back with a fairly good offer for my car and they came down $1,777 on the Model S. One more email back telling them to give me $1,000 more on my car and we have a deal. A reply that said Ok. Done.

I picked up the car the next day. I couldn't be happier.
    IMG_2161.JPG
    [SUB]My Tesla Model S - P03288 - 2013 - Blue - Pano Roof - 21" Wheels - Tan Interior - Purchased Used w/7,000 Miles - 01/02/15 [/SUB]

2. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN 65513, Model 3: VIN 1913

Congrats, Curt! Welcome to the fold.

3. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

Well played!

4. Gabzqc

Gabzqc Member

Congrats! I am in a similar boat... just need a bigger amount of used cars up here in Northern Europe!

5. CurtGentry

CurtGentry Member

I appreciate that.

6. CurtGentry

CurtGentry Member

I honestly worried that announcing I had a "USED" Model S, some might consider it less of a milestone since I didn't get to go through the waiting process and build notifications. I'm happy to be part of the Tesla Family.

7. In2oil

In2oil Member

Great Story, Congratulation. Beautiful car.. you will love it! Welcome to the TESLA Family.

8. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

Congrats brother and welcome to the Tesla Community! Nice financial move on buying used! Smart Man!

9. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

No worries, plenty of people are buying former loaner cars, and its the only way to get a Roadster.

10. TES-E

TES-E Member

Welcome! Good move... one that I am sure will become more common. :biggrin:

11. AmpedUP

AmpedUP EV Nut

Curt, you sound like me...except my trade in will be a 2004 Chrysler Sebring ! Hopefully, the Chrysler will cover the sales tax!

12. CurtGentry

CurtGentry Member

HA! Trust me, I think it's worth it!!! What a wonderful feeling owning such a great vehicle.

13. Lintrix

Lintrix Member

#13 Lintrix, Jan 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
    What a good find! Congrats and welcome to the Tesla fam Curt

14. rjcbox

rjcbox Member

Great story! Thanks for sharing & Congrats on your new ride!

15. RiverBrick

RiverBrick Active Member

Congrats and nice timing with the opening of the local Supercharger.

16. ArtInCT

ArtInCT Always Learning

Well Done! I will be joining you soon, till then, many safe and happy miles to you.

17. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

Congratulations! Hope to join you soon.

18. DrGuest

DrGuest Member

CurtGentry, Welcome and Way to make your Dream turn to reality. It seems to be a character trait among many Tesla owners, They know what they want and take action to find a way to get it done! I was not sure if I could afford a Model S85 and then I found a credit union that gave me 1.49% financing and it made it possible for me. That was 13 months and 16,000+miles ago and I am so happy with my decision. Best car and best service I have ever had! Owning a Tesla is a Dream come True! :) Montana just got it's Superchargers the past couple months and I am loving driving long distances for free! (no extra cost)

19. Shortmanz

Shortmanz Member

Congrats CurtGentry - nice color combo, btw!

It sounds like you and I took similar paths our Tesla's. I made the "mistake" of test driving a Tesla last April and was immediately smitten. I spent the next 6 months trying to figure out how to financially justify a Model S and read everything I could find about Tesla. I had it so bad that I went through a period of time where I would configure my dream car on the Tesla site almost every evening - LOL! I was going to order a new one, but in September I found a great price on a gently used Tesla S85 with only 8300 miles on it that I just couldn't pass up. I have absolutely no regrets other than being stuck in the Texas Supercharger island... It is certainly one of the most satisfying purchases I have ever made. The Model S is a phenomenal car to drive.

Blue, Grey Leather, Model S 85, VIN P11xxx, Tech package, Smart Air Suspension, Panoramic Roof, Premium Lighting, 19" Standard Wheels

20. Davide

Davide Member

These are fantastic stories. Welcome to the family that is changing the world!