Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

J1772 adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Model S comes with the same adapter as shown in the accessories shop (http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/model-s/products/sae-j1772). I've not seen it in action, so I don't know if it locks into the car the same way as the native connector. It does look like it has the usual latch on the J1772 end, so you should be able to padlock the J1772 and it won't let go of the Model S adapter.

The adapter locks to the S but the public charger plug can be removed from the adapter.
ok, so it sounds like the adapter locks to the car, and the J1772 should be able to be padlocked to the adapter, so the whole thing could theoretically be secured.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if there is a "reverse" J1772 adapter for the HPWC, i.e., allowing the HPWC to be used with a Leaf or other J1772 compliant vehicles?
You can cut off the Tesla connector and put a J1772 in its place. Plug it directly into a Leaf or RAV4 EV or use the J1772 adapter to charge Model S. Tony Williams will do it for you for $200. See this thread at the RAV4EV forum.