Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

J1772 Charging Adapter is $50 now again

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There really isn't a huge benefit for Tesla to release a CCS adapter here. Right now pretty much every tesla charges at a SC when on a road trip, why give ppl the option to go elsewhere?

Sure they have the CHAdeMO and J1772 adapters, but those charge slower than a SC so they're not really competing.

Would I want one? I'd order one ASAP, but I can't see Tesla doing it until they felt it necessary

Right now pretty much every tesla charges at a SC when on a road trip, why give ppl the option to go elsewhere?
A few reasons:
- There aren't SC everywhere there are CCS fast chargers
- Tesla (Musk) fails to see a reason to give us cars with more than 350 miles of range

Here are two places I am going this summer that have no SC near them and make me have to stop and slow charge between them.

One is Glacier National Park. Tesla had plans for a SC in Kalsipell and it fell through. There are a few DC fast chargers in the area though, so that's why CCS is critical. I have family in Kalispell so I can use their house to charge, but without that it is quite a headache to experience Glacier in a Tesla.

The other is en route to Jasper, AB (and eventually Banff). Again, no SC on this route but there are a few CCS fast chargers.

All in all, not giving people the option to use CCS is really stupid.
1646860151114.png

When you live in an area that has dense Supercharger coverage it's easy to say a CCS adapter isn't necessary. But if you look at areas that have low Supercharger coverage and overlay CCS locations you'll see how they often times fill in gaps or are MUCH more convenient.

As for the lost revenue - in the grand scheme there's actually probably very few Tesla owners who would buy it. But it would mean a whole lot to them. I suspect Tesla isn't making a whole lot of money on the electricity anyway. The lost revenue from the few times the adapter is used would likely never amount to the profit from the adapter itself. It's a chunk of plastic with metal run through it - can't be $50 to manufacture and they're going to sell it for $250+?

Further, having it available could draw in prospective customers who are leery of Tesla's proprietary plug and being locked in to their charging network.

When you live in an area that has dense Supercharger coverage it's easy to say a CCS adapter isn't necessary. But if you look at areas that have low Supercharger coverage and overlay CCS locations you'll see how they often times fill in gaps or are MUCH more convenient.

As for the lost revenue - in the grand scheme there's actually probably very few Tesla owners who would buy it. But it would mean a whole lot to them. I suspect Tesla isn't making a whole lot of money on the electricity anyway. The lost revenue from the few times the adapter is used would likely never amount to the profit from the adapter itself. It's a chunk of plastic with metal run through it - can't be $50 to manufacture and they're going to sell it for $250+?

Further, having it available could draw in prospective customers who are leery of Tesla's proprietary plug and being locked in to their charging network.
Yep. Central Nevada is another example. Still no supercharger in Ely, but there are CCS chargers. (And CHAdeMO, yes, but I'm not keen on dropping $500 on an adapter that will be useless in 5 years.) Also Austin. So you can for example cut straight across from Great Basin NP to Lake Tahoe. Without an adapter you have to either go South to Las Vegas or North to I-80, either of which is a couple hundred extra miles. There are places like this all over the West.

A few reasons:
- There aren't SC everywhere there are CCS fast chargers
- Tesla (Musk) fails to see a reason to give us cars with more than 350 miles of range

Here are two places I am going this summer that have no SC near them and make me have to stop and slow charge between them.

One is Glacier National Park. Tesla had plans for a SC in Kalsipell and it fell through. There are a few DC fast chargers in the area though, so that's why CCS is critical. I have family in Kalispell so I can use their house to charge, but without that it is quite a headache to experience Glacier in a Tesla.

The other is en route to Jasper, AB (and eventually Banff). Again, no SC on this route but there are a few CCS fast chargers.

All in all, not giving people the option to use CCS is really stupid.
View attachment 778848
I don't disagree. but it does make them more money overall