Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

J1772 Extension Cord

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We routinely use a 50ft JLONG to charge our two EVs at 24A in our garage. There’s a slight voltage drop hence it decreases charging efficiency a little (maybe 1%). The risk is someone inadvertently disconnecting the extension while charging. Don’t do that.

We routinely use a 50ft JLONG to charge our two EVs at 24A in our garage. There’s a slight voltage drop hence it decreases charging efficiency a little (maybe 1%). The risk is someone inadvertently disconnecting the extension while charging. Don’t do that.
Why not? It's not dangerous, the JLONG is designed to handle that situation properly. Some of the others might not be...

How is the JLONG different than others extension cables on the market in this regard?
I don't personally know that they are. I just know that QCP extends the proximity line and wires the plug on it so that the switch on either plug interrupts the charging.

JLONG™ - 20 foot J1772 extension cable

1) Our JLong™ is the only J1772 extension that gives you 100% of the protections of J1772 (proximity disconnect, ground fault, pilot signal, etc). I personally think it's absolutely critical not to substitute lower price and quality for safety standards.

The Chinese cables used by competitors do not carry proximity detection at all. The reason that they can't do this is because the cables don't even have the required wires inside to perform this critical task. That means that every time you disconnect the J1772 charge station from the extension while the car is charging, there will be a "hot" disconnect which can damage equipment and cause a spark / arcing. Not my idea of a smart or safe design.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: dandrewk and Zoomit
Thanks for the replies, I'll put the JLong on my wish list.

My concern is not so much with the length or the cord, it's the connection between the Clipper Creek cord and the extension. That's a lot of current flowing through a connection. But if it's solid, no issues at all.