Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jacking/lifting Model 3 for wheel change

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_7795.jpeg

Hello,

I'm hoping someone can help me with this question. From the attached photo, you can see that my Tesla was lifted in the middle of the car, and I'm concerned that this might not be the correct lifting point. When the car was lifted, I heard cracking sounds, but I'm not sure if it was just plastic. I hired a professional company to do the job, but I feel it might not have been done correctly. They also mistakenly thought my car was a Model S when it is actually a Model 3.

Should I be concerned, and should I get an inspection from Tesla to ensure no damage was done to the battery?
Despite being a professional company, Incan see on the Tesla website the instructions differ to what they did: https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/model3/en_eu/GUID-9E6DD5CB-40BA-4A29-B20D-457303555037.html

Thank you for your help.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Unfortunately, that's not the proper lift point for Model 3. If you run your finger down the side you can feel out the holes towards the front and the rear of the vehicle. Those are the proper lift points.

I highly advise for you to lay a tarp next to that side of your car to look under to see if there's any cosmetic damages from that jack point. I don't believe your battery is damaged but it's still good to assess the situation and let that company know.

Best of luck.

-Danny

Upvote 0
I have never seen any car in which it's considered ok to lift as shown in your photo. What a hack job. Either the guy was lazy or had only one air jack.
That's not excusable even with one jack. Tesla mobile service actually does rotations with one jack (I did too recently) and it's possible because the chassis is stiff enough for both wheels to get off the ground, lifting it at the rear jack point.

Reactions: afadeev and Adam3
Upvote 0
View attachment 1057147

Hello,

I'm hoping someone can help me with this question. From the attached photo, you can see that my Tesla was lifted in the middle of the car, and I'm concerned that this might not be the correct lifting point. When the car was lifted, I heard cracking sounds, but I'm not sure if it was just plastic. I hired a professional company to do the job, but I feel it might not have been done correctly. They also mistakenly thought my car was a Model S when it is actually a Model 3.

Should I be concerned, and should I get an inspection from Tesla to ensure no damage was done to the battery?
Despite being a professional company, Incan see on the Tesla website the instructions differ to what they did: https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/model3/en_eu/GUID-9E6DD5CB-40BA-4A29-B20D-457303555037.html

Thank you for your help.
Look underneath to see. If you are "lucky", only the black plastic rocker cover is damaged, and that can be replaced (which you may or may not want to claim with their company). If the metal battery pack cover is deformed, although it is not very likely it has been damaged inside, you may have issues getting warranty coverage in the future.

There are multiple EVs that can have battery pack damage lifting at that point, so the guy who did that is just a disaster waiting to happen.

This is why I bought pucks and carry them around. You can't trust "pros" to know what they are doing.

Upvote 0
Thanks everyone, I’ll share the photos of underneath soon. The plastic rim underneath became detached from the frame after the lifting. I managed to bang it in again. I scheduled a Tesla approved servicing through the app and shared the photo with them. I will share the inspection results as well. I also contacted the company that changed the wheels. what’s alarming is I heard loud cracking sounds when he was lifting the car. I’ll update you guys soon. Thanks all
for your advice.

Reactions: MODEL+
Upvote 0